Re: [taigtools] Motor mounts

  • Lewis Balentine
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2000
      That works. One could perhaps add a hinge point to
      one of the 3/8 bars for belt tensioning as well.

      Sketch is not that crude ... you should see some
      of the stuff I have gotten from "certified engineers"
      over the years.

      By the way have you checked out the free CAD program
      at (http://www.cadopia.com)

      I found the link on someones home page, but can not
      remember where now. I was really impressed with it.
      Of course it is a big download:
      29 Meg with the documentation.

      cheers,

      Lewis

      At 02:15 PM 4/5/00 -0700, you wrote:
      >I just put an unbelievably crude sketch of a useful motor mount up on my
      >site.
    • Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 2000
        I just put an unbelievably crude sketch of a useful motor mount up on my
        site.
      • Terence Lynock
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2002
          Hi Folks,
          having owned a TAIG some years ago which I disposed of
          surplus to requirements I am fairly familiar with its abilities but
          as I am expecting delivery of a new one sometime this week I have
          been looking at how I can enhance its performance a little.
          The problem in the UK is that 1/4 hp induction motors, preferable
          because they are quiet, usually run at 1425 rpm due to 50 hz
          electrical system, this has the effect of dropping the available
          speeds somewhat so I had the idea, probably already tried by many, of
          mounting the motor on a slde bar so any of the six motor pulley
          grooves will line up with any of the six on the lathe, although some
          will be duplicated would there be any advantage to this?.
          As my workshop is in the house quiet running is essential so I have
          to stick to low revving induction motor drive so a higher speed brush
          type motor is out, anyone have any idea of the permutations of the
          six pulleys as fitted to the TAIG, I would guess at about 30 speeds
          but I have probably missed something out somewhere,

          regards, Terry ( UK)
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2002
            Terry -

            I have a Taig that was originally powered by a 1/4hp 1425 RPM motor,
            although it is now powered by a DC motor with speed control. Unless you
            are doing really extreme stuff (very small diameters held in collets, or
            milling using very small cutters), I doubt very much whether you will find
            the high end of the speed range is a limitation. With a US motor/supply,
            the top speed is nominally 5300 RPM; with a UK motor that drops to around
            4415 RPM, but that is still pretty high for most "normal" turning
            operations. My own experience has been that I very rarely need to use the
            top 3 speeds on my lathe, and I never use the top 2 speeds with the 3- or
            4-jaw chucks fitted.

            The biggest limitation I have found (& one of the reasons I went to
            variable speed) is that the slowest speeds are too fast for some operations
            - especially if you are turning at the large diameter end of what the
            machine will handle, using raising blocks, etc. Others have solved this by
            inserting a countershaft to extend the speed range lower.

            I have a Taig mill also - uses same headstock/pulley set as the lathe - to
            which I have fitted a Sherline motor/speed controller with good
            results. The 3rd (from slowest) pulley setting gives a very comfortable
            dead-slow to 5000 RPM range with that motor. The highest speed pulley
            setting gives a scorching 14,000 RPM if you dare wind it right up - not to
            be recommended though, as this is way over the spec of the bearings.

            No reason why you shouldn't fit the Sherline motor to the lathe (others
            have done this) - the motor I have on my lathe now uses a similar DC motor
            and controller to the Sherline one, but it doesn't manage such a high top
            speed.