A couple more questions: was Head and tail tapers

  • markzemanek
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
      Thanks Nick...I guess my Jacob's chuck with the #1 Morse taper won't
      be of any use on a Taig!

      Hope these next questions aren't too silly...looking at the parts
      list, what, then, is the spring loaded needle bearing center? Is this
      just a fancy term for live dead center?

      And regarding the grinding attachment for the spindle, is this for
      grinding parts or toolbits?

      Thanks in advance,
      Mark
      ------------------

      --- In taigtools@y..., Nicholas Carter wrote:
      > 15 deg included taper in the headstock (that's 15 deg from
      >centerline, or 30 deg total) which is a proprietary taper. The
      >tailstock has an integral 60 deg dead center with 3/8"-24 threads
      >after that for mounting a drill chuck.
    • Bad Brad
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
        A live center has a contact point that rotates with the part and is usually
        supported by some kind of bearing. A dead center stays stationary in
        relation to the part being held. The Taig live center has a preload spring
        that can be adjusted via a set screw. If you use the Taig live center take
        light cuts only.

        Forrest

        >From: "markzemanek" <markzemanek@...>
        >To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [taigtools] A couple more questions: was Head and tail tapers
        >Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 14:34:22 -0000
        >
        >Thanks Nick...I guess my Jacob's chuck with the #1 Morse taper won't
        >be of any use on a Taig!
        >
        >Hope these next questions aren't too silly...looking at the parts
        >list, what, then, is the spring loaded needle bearing center? Is this
        >just a fancy term for live dead center?
        >
        >And regarding the grinding attachment for the spindle, is this for
        >grinding parts or toolbits?
        >
        >Thanks in advance,
        >Mark
        >------------------
        >
        >--- In taigtools@y..., Nicholas Carter wrote:
        > > 15 deg included taper in the headstock (that's 15 deg from
        > >centerline, or 30 deg total) which is a proprietary taper. The
        > >tailstock has an integral 60 deg dead center with 3/8"-24 threads
        > >after that for mounting a drill chuck.

        Freeriding the mad town.

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2002
          > Thanks Nick...I guess my Jacob's chuck with the #1 Morse taper won't
          > be of any use on a Taig!
          Sadly, no.

          > Hope these next questions aren't too silly...looking at the parts
          > list, what, then, is the spring loaded needle bearing center? Is this
          > just a fancy term for live dead center?
          It is a live center, and replaces the ram with the dead center and drill
          chuck thread.

          > And regarding the grinding attachment for the spindle, is this for
          > grinding parts or toolbits?
          For small grinding of toolbits, basically it makes the Taig into a tiny
          bench grinder (with no rest) I generally don't recommend it, or any grinding
          on the lathe as it causes premature wear.