Re: [taigtools] Re: CNC upgrade

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7, 2000
      At 11:37 07/07/00 +0000, you wrote:
      >I have 3 pictures of an anti-backlash nut. I think I saved the
      >pictures of an auction on ebay. I will post them in the files area.
      >They are of a very simple style and the basic design should be easily
      >changed

      I have seen nuts like these used elsewhere - there was a mill design in
      Model Engineers' Workshop a couple of years ago that used a similar design
      of nut. The question I have is whether they are really up to the job of
      killing backlash on the ways of a mill, given that they will be sometimes
      subjected to reasonably large cutting forces. Are the springs used on this
      style of nut really strong enough to make a difference in this sort of
      application? If they are strong enough to kill the backlash under normal
      cutting forces, what effect does that have on the torque required to turn
      the screws?

      Another cruder approach I have seen used is simply to split the nut (sawcut
      across the axis of the screw) and to close up the gap by means of a small
      axial clamping screw until all of the 'lash is taken up. I haven't tried
      this (yet!) though.