Re: [taigtools] Re: Boring arbor for Taig 3/16" milling bit.

  • Tom Benedict
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 6, 2002
      On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, jlm_1951 wrote:

      > have done both, facing and moved mill headstock to the lathe. facing
      > is tricky, since you have to:
      >
      > 1) true up the overall length while screwed on the spindle.
      >
      > 2) put it in the 4 jaw and fine tune that so that facing the
      > spindle end will be true.
      >
      > not sure if it helps that much.

      It does. I guess when you're truing up, you're indicating off the surface
      on the inside of the arbor? (The one where the threads have been milled
      flat?)

      > am about to try the method of boring out to a couple thou over then
      > using crocus/emery-cloth-on-a-stick with cutting fluid to hone the
      > bore to a suction fit. seems less risk of over-boring (a symptom from
      > which i have several spare, not too usefull arbors...).

      Boring out to a couple thou over? I hope you mean under.

      Let us all know how the hone technique works. Like I said, my lathe is at
      someone else's house, so I've got some time to come up with a plan to make
      these things. I'm not in an enormous hurry at the moment.

      Tom
    • jlm_1951
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 6, 2002
        hi,

        no, i 'm just turning the outside surface down a bit so that it's
        concentric to the spindle. most of the arbors i've bought were
        seemingly drilled off center (at least they looked that way
        when spinning). so i usually true that up before milling wrench
        flats and drilling the set screw holes on the sides. i figure
        if it's concentric to the spindle, then i should be able to get
        it pretty close in the four jaw if i'm patient about centering it.
        might be compounding errors tho...
        can't be much worse than the claimed .001" accuracy of the whole lathe
        set up.

        joel