Thinking of buying a taig lathe, who to buy from?

  • pt_green
    Message 1 of 6 , May 17, 2002
      I see there are several dealers listed on the Taig site. Does anyone
      have a recommendation for who I should buy from? Any recommended
      accessories that I should get right away?

      I was also looking the homier 7x12 lathe, are the taig and the homier
      lathes apples and oranges or are they comparable enough to say that
      one is better than the other?

      This will be my first lathe, by the way.

      thanks for you input

      pt
    • Bad Brad
      Message 2 of 6 , May 17, 2002
        Mr. Green,

        The Taig and the 7x12 (in my opinion) are not that comparable. The Taig
        requires quite a lot of modifications to equal the features of the 7X12 but
        the accuracy of a stock 7x12 is not as good as a modified Taig. The number
        of people I have talked to about their 7x10 & 12 machines have indicated
        broken or damaged, during use, parts. I have two Taig lathes and have yet to
        experience any thing broken or damaged during use (knock on wood). After
        adding a lead screw, properly aligning everything and watching the gib
        adjustments I am able to hold what I feel are good tolerances of 0.0005 or
        better.

        As far as a dealer Nick Carter is the best dealer I have found. He has a
        great web page with a boat-load of info on all aspects of small scale metal
        work. He has articles on both the 7x10 & 12 along with the Taig and Sherline
        equipment.

        Opinions only, to each his own...

        Forrest

        >From: "pt_green" <pt_green@...>
        >To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [taigtools] Thinking of buying a taig lathe, who to buy from?
        >Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 20:28:52 -0000
        >
        >I see there are several dealers listed on the Taig site. Does anyone
        >have a recommendation for who I should buy from? Any recommended
        >accessories that I should get right away?
        >
        >I was also looking the homier 7x12 lathe, are the taig and the homier
        >lathes apples and oranges or are they comparable enough to say that
        >one is better than the other?
        >

        >This will be my first lathe, by the way.
        >

        >thanks for you input
        >
        >pt

      • Troy Burns
        Message 3 of 6 , May 17, 2002
          P.T.

          I think they are apples and oranges. The Taig lathe is responsible for a lot of very fine work from a number of people, but it is not designed to cut threads. The Taig is more of a do-it-yourself project, with the customers able to buy kits, furnish their own motor, etc.

          The Homier 7X12 is a huskier tool altogether, is designed to cut threads, and will just handle heavier work. For the reasoning of an expert who has used a Taig but has bought a Chinese made Busy Bee (a Canadian imported 7X8 which is a shorter version of the Homier), see J. R. Bentley's website at
          http://www.jrbentley.com/
          If you were to emulate Mr. Bentley's work with either lathe, you would go far.

          I have a Homier lathe and a Taig mill, and I like both of them. If I had a Taig lathe instead, I believe I would like it also; but not when I needed to thread something on the lathe.

          For the Taig dealer I can recommend my dealer, derf@.... He is in Baton Rouge, but since the machines (at least the mills) are shipped directly from the factory, the dealer's location doesn't matter. Derf gave a lot of attention to my order and I received it much sooner than I expected, with no snags or foulups.

          I hope this has helped you decide.

          Troy

        • tadici283@cs.com
          Message 4 of 6 , May 17, 2002
            In a message dated 5/17/2002 5:34:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            tburns@... writes:

            > I think they are apples and oranges. The Taig lathe is responsible for a
            > lot of very fine work from a number of people, but it is not designed to
            > cut threads. The Taig is more of a do-it-yourself project, with the
            > customers able to buy kits, furnish their own motor, etc.

            As an owner of the Taig Lathe, Mill and 7x10 machine I can state that the
            Taig has
            a quality difference the China made lathe cannot equal, the China made lathe
            is a "kit" lathe, meaning it needs a lot of cleaning, modification,
            adjustment and cannot
            equal the Taig as far as fit, finish, it differs from the Taig "kit" lathe in
            the fact that
            it offers more features, is heavy built (80 LBS) can cut threads out of the
            box, has power feed and standard MT tooling, to get near this you would have
            to modify a Taig
            extensively as another member pointed out, a certain weak spot is the fact
            that the China made lathe has a troublesome motor, I have had to replace
            nearly every part from gears to circuit boards, I realize that this has
            varied from owner to owner, my Taig is powered by a treadmill motor with
            never a thought after installed. To sum up,
            machinist will always modify there tools, you need to decide if the larger
            capability
            is what you need or great quality out of the box with the Taig, the Taig
            seems also to offer a greater amount of accessories as well.
            chris of Bradenton

          • Mack Johnson
            Message 5 of 6 , May 17, 2002
              I'm not saying don't buy from the other guys, but I have always
              gotten A-1 service from Nick Carter. Just my .02. MJ

              pt_green wrote:

              > I see there are several dealers listed on the Taig site. Does anyone
              > have a recommendation for who I should buy from? Any recommended
              > accessories that I should get right away?
              >
              > I was also looking the homier 7x12 lathe, are the taig and the homier
              > lathes apples and oranges or are they comparable enough to say that
              > one is better than the other?
              >

              > This will be my first lathe, by the way.
              >

              > thanks for you input
              >
              > pt
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • jlm_1951
              Message 6 of 6 , May 18, 2002
                Hi,

                Have both a Taig and a 7x10 lathe. Apples and Oranges. The Taig
                is a modern version of a watchmakers lathe, for smaller projects.
                The 7x1x is bigger, with more mass, modeled after a 1940's
                vintage shop lathe. More mass means less chatter.

                The Taig is ready to go out of the box. The Chinese stuff needs
                cleanup and tuneup before use.

                Like them both, use them both. Depends on what you use them for and
                how much setup you want to do.

                joel