Re: [taigtools] Re: Best cut off tool

  • JimBeggerow
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 2 9:37 PM
      There are two types of part off tools one is called a t ype and the other clamps on two tapers the one that clamps on two tapers requires you to grind the top so you have a flat surface if you dont the chip will come off at an angle and cause a poor finish and increase the cutting pressure. The trick is have the tool on center or 001-.002 below center and the tool is square with the chuck and I rarley have top rake on my part off tools they tend to dig in and beak and also in most cases I do not have a lead on the front of the tool I grind it squarealso the carriage must be tight and the crosslide as well as tight as possible without binding. The part off operation is the weakest part of any operation.I design cams for screw machines and the part off speed and feed is critical
      Jim B
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 3 9:38 PM
        For small brass bits, a cutoff tool on the back post is great. I made a
        handful of spherical washers that way.

        Jim Eckman
      • tburns
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 3 9:48 PM
          Does anyone have a source for 3/16" or 1/4" shank 60 degree dovetail
          cutters for rifle front sight bases?

          I can get 3/8" dovetail cutters but don't know if there is a way to use a
          3/8" shank cutting tools in the Taig mill I have on order.

          Is there a way? I suppose I could use a 3/8" cutter in a Jacobs chuck? Is
          the Taig capable of taking a 3/8" collet?

          I've never seen a Taig mill except in pictures on the web, so it's a little
          hard ordering tooling.

          tb
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 3 10:54 PM
            At 23:48 03/04/2002 -0600, you wrote:
            >Does anyone have a source for 3/16" or 1/4" shank 60 degree dovetail
            >cutters for rifle front sight bases?
            >
            >I can get 3/8" dovetail cutters but don't know if there is a way to use a
            >3/8" shank cutting tools in the Taig mill I have on order.
            >
            >Is there a way? I suppose I could use a 3/8" cutter in a Jacobs chuck? Is
            >the Taig capable of taking a 3/8" collet?
            >
            >I've never seen a Taig mill except in pictures on the web, so it's a little
            >hard ordering tooling.

            There's been a very recent thread (or threads) on this topic - its very
            possible to carry 3/8" tooling (or 1/2" for that matter) in the Taig by use
            of a "blank arbor" which you bore to size on the lathe. The other option
            for 3/8" is to bore out the spindle & make a custom collet. Take a look
            back through the message archives for detailed discussion of techniques.

            However, don't even think about trying to hold a 3/8" shank dovetail cutter
            in a Jacobs chuck - or any other milling cutter for that matter! Not a
            smart thing to do.

          • tburns
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 3 11:09 PM
              At 07:54 AM 4/4/2002 +0100, you wrote:
              >At 23:48 03/04/2002 -0600, you wrote:
              > >Does anyone have a source for 3/16" or 1/4" shank 60 degree dovetail
              > >cutters for rifle front sight bases?
              > >
              > >I can get 3/8" dovetail cutters but don't know if there is a way to use a
              > >3/8" shank cutting tools in the Taig mill I have on order.
              > >
              > >Is there a way? I suppose I could use a 3/8" cutter in a Jacobs chuck? Is
              > >the Taig capable of taking a 3/8" collet?
              > >
              > >I've never seen a Taig mill except in pictures on the web, so it's a little
              > >hard ordering tooling.
              >
              >There's been a very recent thread (or threads) on this topic - its very
              >possible to carry 3/8" tooling (or 1/2" for that matter) in the Taig by use
              >of a "blank arbor" which you bore to size on the lathe. The other option
              >for 3/8" is to bore out the spindle & make a custom collet. Take a look
              >back through the message archives for detailed discussion of techniques.
              >
              >However, don't even think about trying to hold a 3/8" shank dovetail cutter
              >in a Jacobs chuck - or any other milling cutter for that matter! Not a
              >smart thing to do.
              >
              >Regards,
              >Tony

              Thanks Tony, just the information I was looking for.

              Now to try the archives!

              tb
            • toddfoh
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 4 5:29 AM
                --- In taigtools@y..., tburns <tburns@g...> wrote:
                > Does anyone have a source for 3/16" or 1/4" shank 60 degree
                dovetail
                > cutters for rifle front sight bases?

                No, I have never seen dovetail cutters in anything but 3/8" shanks.
                I'm sure you could find something if you looked hard enough, but you
                would pay a pretty penny for them.

                > I can get 3/8" dovetail cutters but don't know if there is a way to
                use a
                > 3/8" shank cutting tools in the Taig mill I have on order.
                >
                > Is there a way? I suppose I could use a 3/8" cutter in a Jacobs
                chuck? Is
                > the Taig capable of taking a 3/8" collet?

                I haven't done a 3/8" collet yet, but I have made 3/8" tool holders
                from blank arbors. One of those holds a 3/8" dovetail cutter that I
                used to make a boring jig. You can see pics of both here:
                http://my.myaxiom.net/~r9800216/MillingMachine/MillTools.htm

                Todd F.
              • Roger V. Petrella Jr.
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 4 5:47 AM
                  Have you tried Brownell's? About the best source anywhere for gunsmithing
                  supplies and tools.

                  Roger Petrella
                  Franktown, CO

                  tburns wrote:

                  > Does anyone have a source for 3/16" or 1/4" shank 60 degree dovetail
                  > cutters for rifle front sight bases?
                  >
                  > I can get 3/8" dovetail cutters but don't know if there is a way to use a
                  > 3/8" shank cutting tools in the Taig mill I have on order.
                  >
                  > Is there a way? I suppose I could use a 3/8" cutter in a Jacobs chuck? Is
                  > the Taig capable of taking a 3/8" collet?
                  >
                  > I've never seen a Taig mill except in pictures on the web, so it's a little
                  > hard ordering tooling.
                  >
                  > tb

                • Larry Richter
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 4 7:26 AM
                    "Roger V. Petrella Jr." wrote:

                    > Have you tried Brownell's? About the best source anywhere for gunsmithing
                    > supplies and tools.
                    >
                    > Roger Petrella
                    > Franktown, CO

                    Absolutely.
                  • tburns
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 4 8:32 AM
                      Yes I had tried them. They have cutters with 1/2" shank, and I think a
                      cutter with 3/8" shank, but not one with a 3/16 or 1/4" shank.

                      Making a cutter holder from a blank arbor seems like a good enough
                      substitute though. I plan on ordering some from Taig.

                      tb

                      At 10:26 AM 4/4/2002 -0500, you wrote:

                      >"Roger V. Petrella Jr." wrote:
                      >
                      > > Have you tried Brownell's? About the best source anywhere for gunsmithing
                      > > supplies and tools.
                      > >
                      > > Roger Petrella
                      > > Franktown, CO
                      >
                      >Absolutely.
                      >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=215002.1954253.3462811.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707209045:HM/A=1000239/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd=1017934149%3eM=215002.1954253.3462811.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707209045:HM/A=1000239/R=1>3b4f648.jpg
                      >3b4f68b.jpg

                      >Let the chips fly!

                    • tburns
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 4 8:46 AM
                        Todd,

                        Your web site was what finally convinced me to buy a Taig mill. You have
                        great pictures and descriptions. I don't remember seeing this page though.

                        I did read Jose's article on making holders from blank arbors, on Nick's
                        site, and have made a note to order some from Taig.

                        I haven't been awake long enough to read your description of the split
                        cotters, but intend to do that when my coffee does its work. So far my
                        solution to the set screw has been to use hex head capscrews and a 7/16
                        boxend wrench wherever possible.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 4 8:58 AM
                          Strikes me that, with the run on blank arbors that must've been generated
                          as a result of the discussions on this list, we should ask Taig for
                          commission ;^)

                          At 10:32 04/04/2002 -0600, you wrote:
                          >Yes I had tried them. They have cutters with 1/2" shank, and I think a
                          >cutter with 3/8" shank, but not one with a 3/16 or 1/4" shank.
                          >
                          >Making a cutter holder from a blank arbor seems like a good enough
                          >substitute though. I plan on ordering some from Taig.
                          >
                          >tb
                          >
                          >At 10:26 AM 4/4/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                          >

                          > >"Roger V. Petrella Jr." wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Have you tried Brownell's? About the best source anywhere for
                          > gunsmithing
                          > > > supplies and tools.
                          > > >
                          > > > Roger Petrella
                          > > > Franktown, CO
                          > >
                          > >Absolutely.
                          > >

                          > >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                          > ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=215002.1954253.3462811.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17072
                          > 09045:HM/A=1000239/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd=1017934149%3eM=215002.1954253.3462811.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707209045:HM/A=1000239/R=1>3b4f648.jpg
                          > >3b4f68b.jpg

                          > >Let the chips fly!

                          >Let the chips fly!

                        • tburns
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 4 9:04 AM
                            Strikes me there would be a market for Taig or one of the more accomplished
                            machinists on the list to sell finished 1/2" and 3/8" holders made from the
                            arbors.

                            The problem with making them ourselves is the near necessity of having
                            proper reamers.

                            tb

                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 4 9:38 AM
                              At 11:04 04/04/2002 -0600, you wrote:
                              >Strikes me there would be a market for Taig or one of the more accomplished
                              >machinists on the list to sell finished 1/2" and 3/8" holders made from the
                              >arbors.
                              >
                              >The problem with making them ourselves is the near necessity of having
                              >proper reamers.

                              I agree...would be good to have ready made ones. I guess the Taig factory
                              has other priorities right now (like keeping up with the demand for mills).

                            • Tom Benedict
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 4 12:32 PM
                                Definitely order blank arbors when you order your mill. You can make mill
                                holders, fly cutters, saw arbors, pretty much anything you want with them.
                                Even when a part is available commercially at an attractive price, having
                                spare arbors around so you can just sit down and make the tool you need
                                right then and there is really nice.

                                Tom

                                On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, tburns wrote:

                                > Yes I had tried them. They have cutters with 1/2" shank, and I think a
                                > cutter with 3/8" shank, but not one with a 3/16 or 1/4" shank.
                                >
                                > Making a cutter holder from a blank arbor seems like a good enough
                                > substitute though. I plan on ordering some from Taig.
                                >
                                > tb
                                >
                                > At 10:26 AM 4/4/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                                >

                                > >"Roger V. Petrella Jr." wrote:
                                > >
                                > > > Have you tried Brownell's? About the best source anywhere for gunsmithing
                                > > > supplies and tools.
                                > > >
                                > > > Roger Petrella
                                > > > Franktown, CO
                                > >
                                > >Absolutely.
                                > >

                                > >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                > ><http://rd.yahoo.com/M=215002.1954253.3462811.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707209045:HM/A=1000239/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd=1017934149%3eM=215002.1954253.3462811.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707209045:HM/A=1000239/R=1>3b4f648.jpg
                                > >3b4f68b.jpg

                                > >Let the chips fly!

                              • Tom Benedict
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 4 12:37 PM
                                  On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Tony Jeffree wrote:

                                  > At 11:04 04/04/2002 -0600, you wrote:
                                  > >Strikes me there would be a market for Taig or one of the more accomplished
                                  > >machinists on the list to sell finished 1/2" and 3/8" holders made from the
                                  > >arbors.
                                  > >
                                  > >The problem with making them ourselves is the near necessity of having
                                  > >proper reamers.
                                  >
                                  > I agree...would be good to have ready made ones. I guess the Taig factory
                                  > has other priorities right now (like keeping up with the demand for mills).

                                  A while back someone did tests on various manufacturing techniques (sorry,
                                  I'm too lazy to search the archives and find the right name.) I think one
                                  of the conclusions they came to was that making them on the spindle you
                                  intended to use them on was a good idea.

                                  But!

                                  How big a market would there be for these thing? If someone on the list
                                  were to make them available for sale, how much would people be willing to
                                  pay for them?

                                  (Yes, I've got the necessary boring bars and reamers, and yes, I'm
                                  considering this. I just don't want to put myself in a hole where I don't
                                  get to do my own hobby work on my own tools any more. ;) )

                                • wmbrady
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 4 1:44 PM
                                    tburns Wrote:

                                    >I can get 3/8" dovetail cutters but don't know if there is a way to use a
                                    >3/8" shank cutting tools in the Taig mill I have on order.

                                    I just made a 3/8" mill holder out of a blank Taig arbor. You will need a
                                    3/8" chucking reamer in order to get a good fit.

                                    Wm. "Bill" Brady, Harwood MD 38°51'30"N 76°41'00"W - Its in the darkest
                                    hour that the most stars come out.
                                  • troy2burns
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 4 5:54 PM
                                      Tom Benedict,

                                      If you wish to discuss this further off line, please email me at
                                      troyburns@...

                                      Thanks,
                                      Troy Burns

                                      --- In taigtools@y..., Tom Benedict <benedict@a...> wrote:
                                      > On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Tony Jeffree wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > At 11:04 04/04/2002 -0600, you wrote:
                                      > > >Strikes me there would be a market for Taig or one of the more
                                      accomplished
                                      > > >machinists on the list to sell finished 1/2" and 3/8" holders
                                      made from the
                                      > > >arbors.
                                      > > >
                                      > > >The problem with making them ourselves is the near necessity of
                                      having
                                      > > >proper reamers.
                                      > >
                                      > > I agree...would be good to have ready made ones. I guess the Taig
                                      factory
                                      > > has other priorities right now (like keeping up with the demand
                                      for mills).

                                      > A while back someone did tests on various manufacturing techniques
                                      (sorry,
                                      > I'm too lazy to search the archives and find the right name.) I
                                      think one
                                      > of the conclusions they came to was that making them on the spindle
                                      you
                                      > intended to use them on was a good idea.
                                      >
                                      > But!
                                      >
                                      > How big a market would there be for these thing? If someone on the
                                      list
                                      > were to make them available for sale, how much would people be
                                      willing to
                                      > pay for them?
                                      >
                                      > (Yes, I've got the necessary boring bars and reamers, and yes, I'm
                                      > considering this. I just don't want to put myself in a hole where
                                      I don't
                                      > get to do my own hobby work on my own tools any more. ;) )
                                      >
                                      > Tom

                                    • buddhistiam
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 4 7:51 PM
                                        You can get any sort of Gunsmithing Dovetail cutters at Brownells

                                        http://www.brownells.com/Product/index.asp

                                        HTH

                                        phil
                                      • Shad
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 16, 2008
                                          Hi All,

                                          Getting geared up to make some accessories for my Taig lathe, and have a
                                          few questions.

                                          What size dovetail cutter is suitable for use with the Taig's ways? I
                                          don't have mine in front of me. It's at home, I'm at work... Since I
                                          have to order some other stuff this morning, I figured I'd add a
                                          dovetail cutter and maybe some other odds-n-ends to my order from MSC
                                          while I was at it.

                                          Thanks!

                                          Shad H.