Re: [taigtools] Re: Rotary Tables - Phase II

  • wmbrady
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 2:18 AM
      fast1994gto Wrote:

      >However, I cannot see how
      >anyone would be disappointed with the Phase II. It is much heavier
      >duty than the Sherline and is a quality piece of machinery.

      Thanks Barry!

      Wm. "Bill" Brady, Harwood MD 38°51'30"N 76°41'00"W - Its in the darkest
      hour that the most stars come out.
    • wmbrady
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7 7:03 AM
        fast1994gto Wrote:

        >The Phase II is (I believe) made in China. it is a very well made
        >table. I think the Vertex is probably comparable, but I have heard
        >that the Phase II may be slightly better from a specs standpoint.
        >Mine has been adjusted to have just a hair of backlash -- amazingly
        >little.

        The Phase II has not arrived yet but the Vertex is here. The Vertex has
        roller bearings in both axes, and according to Phase II the 4" does not.
        Amazingly the Phase II is only 4 lbs (I think) lighter than the 6" Vertex.

        Both tables use helical cut worm gears, I have seen this in the Vertex
        and been told that re: the PII. Other tables use simple spur gears.

        Also, neither table has resettable dials. Instead they have a worm
        disengage function. How well that works in lieu of true resettable dials
        remains to be seen.

        The Vertex has excellent fit and finish. The crank handle is free
        rotating, a nice touch.

        One difference is that the PII has cap head screws for table lock down
        while the Vertex has ball end handles. This could be a plus for the PII
        as there is nothing to get in the way.

        Strangely, the T slots on both are non standard as far as I can tell. I
        will have to make my own T nuts for both.