Re: [taigtools] Blank Arbor?

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 28, 2002
      At 18:40 28/02/2002 -0500, you wrote:
      >Tony Jeffree Wrote:
      >

      > >There are 2 varieties of "blank arbor". One is as you describe, and the
      > >other (slightly cheaper) is completely blank.
      >
      >Hey Tony,
      >
      >What am I going to make outa the one I have? I hate to waste the nice
      >screw arrangement, but I need to make a 3/8" end mill holder}:o)

      Whatever you like...here in the UK, it is the only variety of blank arbor
      that the UK distributor (Peatol) stocks, so I simply ignore the thread &
      drill away.

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2002
        I just chuck up a piece of steel in the 4 jaw, turn a 60 deg. taper on it
        and use the jaws to drive the dog. That way the center is always perfect.
        felice@... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. See our web pages
        http://www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

        I am still wondering about the dead end for use under the lathe dog. I
        suppose I am to make one?
      • Tom Benedict
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2002
          DOH! And double-doh. Good point (so to speak.)

          Tom

          On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein wrote:

          > I just chuck up a piece of steel in the 4 jaw, turn a 60 deg. taper on it
          > and use the jaws to drive the dog. That way the center is always perfect.
          > felice@... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. See our web pages
          > http://www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

        • wmbrady
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 1, 2002
            Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein Wrote:

            >I just chuck up a piece of steel in the 4 jaw, turn a 60 deg. taper on it
            >and use the jaws to drive the dog. That way the center is always perfect.

            Sorry, Nick, but I don't understand. Are you using the steel as a center
            or is it the stock?

            Wm. "Bill" Brady, Harwood MD 38°51'30"N 76°41'00"W - Its in the darkest
            hour that the most stars come out.
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 1, 2002
              The steel is the center.
              felice@... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. See our web pages
              http://www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

              Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein Wrote:

              >I just chuck up a piece of steel in the 4 jaw, turn a 60 deg. taper on it
              >and use the jaws to drive the dog. That way the center is always perfect.

              Sorry, Nick, but I don't understand. Are you using the steel as a center
              or is it the stock?

              Wm. "Bill" Brady, Harwood MD 38°51'30"N 76°41'00"W - Its in the darkest
              hour that the most stars come out.

            • toddfoh
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 1, 2002
                Bill,
                I did the same thing except with the 3 jaw chuck instead of the 4
                jaw. If you use the compound slide to put a new tip on the center
                each time you chuck it, the point is always perfectly on axis. My
                lathe accessories page has a close up picture of this. Look at the
                lathe dog picture.
                Todd F.