Re: [taigtools] Modifying /Making Collets?

  • David Robertson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002
      At 06:35 PM 12/31/2001 -0700, you wrote:
      >It is also very easy to make "Tween" size collet bushings for that odd
      >drill bit or rod size from brass rod.
      >
      > I usually make them from 1/4" rod drilled to the desired size and then
      >slit them right in the collet.

      For these insert collets... couldn't you just make a single slot down the
      side rather than the way you have done them?

      Dave
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002
        Hi Dave,

        Probably could!

        I just put the same slotting arrangement as the collets and align the
        slots when using them so they are in effect an extension of the collet. I
        don't know the engineering reason for choosing two slots over one, or four
        slots over two, but since the collets have eight slots I figured I'd match
        my bushings to them. Brass is relatively flexible, and might not *need* the
        same number of slots, but it doesn't take much time to cut them. I probably
        spend more time finding the saw and tightening the blade than actually
        cutting the slots.

        The nice thing about the brass bushings is they are really simple and fast
        to make. Any odd size drill bit or round stock can quickly be "bushed" so
        it will fit in a standard collet without wasting a blank collet.

        Steve

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002
          Hi all,

          Thanks for all the ideas on making collets. I have a friend who is a
          jeweller. I'll get him to put the slits in the collet after I've bored it.

          Cheers,

          Peter Homann
          <mailto:peter.homann@...>
          Work : +61 3 8530-7755
          Adacel Technologies Ltd Fax : +61 3 9596-2960
          250 Bay St, Brighton 3186, VIC, AUSTRALIA Mobile : 0421 601665
          http://www.adacel.com.au Australian Software Engineering Excellence
        • Larry Richter
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
            Victor Bitleris wrote:

            > Hi,
            > Just recently, I had to make a collet to fit a 3/32" rod. What I did
            > was used a blank collet, available from Taig tools, center drilled the
            > starter hole, drilled through with a 3/32 bit and then used a jewelers
            > saw to cut the "slits". This was somewaht tedious as there is no real
            > good way of holding the collet. I drilled some holes in a block of mild
            > steel to assist in supporting the collet while I sawed. The hardest part
            > was getting it started properly. If someone has a better way of slitting,
            > please let us know.
            > Regards, Vic Bitleris

            Well, I imagine a razor saw could be used in some way. X-acto, Zona, about a
            dozen brands around. Some very thin saws with small teeth available from the
            x-acto. Forget the handle. Less fragile than a jeweler's saw, though I don't
            see one cutting hardened anything well. They cut brass and anything softer
            forever. I have some decades old.

            If you mounted the unslit collet in the cross groove of a vise, and glued or
            screwed the saw blade flat and horizontal to a wood block of the right height,
            you could maybe hold vise with one hand and move block with the other. Probably
            get a fairly even cut and a rest from blade changing.
          • defex
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
              you could put a dremel bit or some other thin saw in the jaws/collet on the
              lathe and somehow mount the piece on the cross slide. then you could just
              feed it in. the slot would not have a flat boottom but in that case i think
              it might make it work better...cutting oil!..clamp tight!

              > > Just recently, I had to make a collet to fit a 3/32" rod. What I did
              > > was used a blank collet, available from Taig tools, center drilled the
              > > starter hole, drilled through with a 3/32 bit and then used a jewelers
              > > saw to cut the "slits". This was somewaht tedious as there is no real
              > > good way of holding the collet. I drilled some holes in a block of mild
              > > steel to assist in supporting the collet while I sawed. The hardest
              part
              > > was getting it started properly. If someone has a better way of
              slitting,
              > > please let us know.
              > > Regards, Vic Bitleris
              >
              > Well, I imagine a razor saw could be used in some way. X-acto, Zona,
              about a
              > dozen brands around. Some very thin saws with small teeth available from
              the
              > x-acto. Forget the handle. Less fragile than a jeweler's saw, though I
              don't
              > see one cutting hardened anything well. They cut brass and anything softer
              > forever. I have some decades old.
              >
              > If you mounted the unslit collet in the cross groove of a vise, and glued
              or
              > screwed the saw blade flat and horizontal to a wood block of the right
              height,
              > you could maybe hold vise with one hand and move block with the other.
              Probably
              > get a fairly even cut and a rest from blade changing.

            • Victor Bitleris
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
                Hi,
                Just recently, I had to make a collet to fit a 3/32" rod. What I did
                was used a blank collet, available from Taig tools, center drilled the
                starter hole, drilled through with a 3/32 bit and then used a jewelers
                saw to cut the "slits". This was somewaht tedious as there is no real
                good way of holding the collet. I drilled some holes in a block of mild
                steel to assist in supporting the collet while I sawed. The hardest part
                was getting it started properly. If someone has a better way of slitting,
                please let us know.
                Regards, Vic Bitleris

                >From: "Peter Homann" <peter.homann@...>
                >To: <taigtools@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: [taigtools] Modifying /Making Collets?
                >Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 09:48:44 +1100
                >
                >Hi,
                >
                >First of all, Happy New Year.
                >
                >I have a number of milling bits that have metric shanks, 6mm to be exact.
                >My
                >question are;
                >
                >1. Is it possible to drill and ream out a smaller Collet to 6mm? If so any
                >advice would be appreciated.
                >
                >2. If I have to make a 6mm Collet from a blank one, how does one hold a
                >blank Collet to put the slits in it?
                >
                >Sorry for the terse questions, but I have to take the young one to the
                >cinema to see Monsters Inc.
                >
                >Cheers,
                >
                >Peter
                >

                >Peter Homann
                ><mailto:peter.homann@...>
                >Work : +61 3 8530-7755
                >Adacel Technologies Ltd Fax : +61 3 9596-2960
                >250 Bay St, Brighton 3186, VIC, AUSTRALIA Mobile : 0421 601665
                >http://www.adacel.com.au Australian Software Engineering Excellence

                Vic Bitleris
                Raleigh, NC