Re: [taigtools] Modifying /Making Collets?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2001
      Hollow out two pieces of wood to fit the collet, clamp the wood & collet in
      a vise, and free hand cut with a jeweler's saw or a slitting saw on the
      taig.

      I'm too lazy to hollow the wood out tho, so I just clamp a collet between
      two 1X2's in the vise and use the jeweler's saw.

      I started using the slitting saw, but it takes a really long time to set
      it up safely. Then I found I could hold the collet between my fingers and
      cut a slot with a jeweler's saw in about 30 seconds. Then I nicked my thumb
      & decided to clamp them between the wood instead!

      I have also cut the slots with a dremel cutting disk, but the dust is
      really messy and it isn't a whole lot faster.

      It is also very easy to make "Tween" size collet bushings for that odd
      drill bit or rod size from brass rod.

      I usually make them from 1/4" rod drilled to the desired size and then
      slit them right in the collet.

      See the example in my directory on the yahooz group:

      End.jpg
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/files/Simons_Taig_Pics/ColletBushing
      Side.jpg

      These were both cut freehand with the jeweler's saw and show that the
      slots don't have to be straight to work (but they would look nicer!).

      Steve

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002
        At 06:35 PM 12/31/2001 -0700, you wrote:
        >It is also very easy to make "Tween" size collet bushings for that odd
        >drill bit or rod size from brass rod.
        >
        > I usually make them from 1/4" rod drilled to the desired size and then
        >slit them right in the collet.

        For these insert collets... couldn't you just make a single slot down the
        side rather than the way you have done them?

        Dave
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002
          Hi Dave,

          Probably could!

          I just put the same slotting arrangement as the collets and align the
          slots when using them so they are in effect an extension of the collet. I
          don't know the engineering reason for choosing two slots over one, or four
          slots over two, but since the collets have eight slots I figured I'd match
          my bushings to them. Brass is relatively flexible, and might not *need* the
          same number of slots, but it doesn't take much time to cut them. I probably
          spend more time finding the saw and tightening the blade than actually
          cutting the slots.

          The nice thing about the brass bushings is they are really simple and fast
          to make. Any odd size drill bit or round stock can quickly be "bushed" so
          it will fit in a standard collet without wasting a blank collet.

          Steve

          > For these insert collets... couldn't you just make a single slot down the
          > side rather than the way you have done them?
          >
          > Dave
        • Peter Homann
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002
            Hi all,

            Thanks for all the ideas on making collets. I have a friend who is a
            jeweller. I'll get him to put the slits in the collet after I've bored it.

            Cheers,

            Peter Homann
            <mailto:peter.homann@...>
            Work : +61 3 8530-7755
            Adacel Technologies Ltd Fax : +61 3 9596-2960
            250 Bay St, Brighton 3186, VIC, AUSTRALIA Mobile : 0421 601665
            http://www.adacel.com.au Australian Software Engineering Excellence
          • Larry Richter
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
              Victor Bitleris wrote:

              > Hi,
              > Just recently, I had to make a collet to fit a 3/32" rod. What I did
              > was used a blank collet, available from Taig tools, center drilled the
              > starter hole, drilled through with a 3/32 bit and then used a jewelers
              > saw to cut the "slits". This was somewaht tedious as there is no real
              > good way of holding the collet. I drilled some holes in a block of mild
              > steel to assist in supporting the collet while I sawed. The hardest part
              > was getting it started properly. If someone has a better way of slitting,
              > please let us know.
              > Regards, Vic Bitleris

              Well, I imagine a razor saw could be used in some way. X-acto, Zona, about a
              dozen brands around. Some very thin saws with small teeth available from the
              x-acto. Forget the handle. Less fragile than a jeweler's saw, though I don't
              see one cutting hardened anything well. They cut brass and anything softer
              forever. I have some decades old.

              If you mounted the unslit collet in the cross groove of a vise, and glued or
              screwed the saw blade flat and horizontal to a wood block of the right height,
              you could maybe hold vise with one hand and move block with the other. Probably
              get a fairly even cut and a rest from blade changing.
            • defex
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
                you could put a dremel bit or some other thin saw in the jaws/collet on the
                lathe and somehow mount the piece on the cross slide. then you could just
                feed it in. the slot would not have a flat boottom but in that case i think
                it might make it work better...cutting oil!..clamp tight!

                > > Just recently, I had to make a collet to fit a 3/32" rod. What I did
                > > was used a blank collet, available from Taig tools, center drilled the
                > > starter hole, drilled through with a 3/32 bit and then used a jewelers
                > > saw to cut the "slits". This was somewaht tedious as there is no real
                > > good way of holding the collet. I drilled some holes in a block of mild
                > > steel to assist in supporting the collet while I sawed. The hardest
                part
                > > was getting it started properly. If someone has a better way of
                slitting,
                > > please let us know.
                > > Regards, Vic Bitleris
                >
                > Well, I imagine a razor saw could be used in some way. X-acto, Zona,
                about a
                > dozen brands around. Some very thin saws with small teeth available from
                the
                > x-acto. Forget the handle. Less fragile than a jeweler's saw, though I
                don't
                > see one cutting hardened anything well. They cut brass and anything softer
                > forever. I have some decades old.
                >
                > If you mounted the unslit collet in the cross groove of a vise, and glued
                or
                > screwed the saw blade flat and horizontal to a wood block of the right
                height,
                > you could maybe hold vise with one hand and move block with the other.
                Probably
                > get a fairly even cut and a rest from blade changing.

              • Victor Bitleris
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 4, 2002
                  Hi,
                  Just recently, I had to make a collet to fit a 3/32" rod. What I did
                  was used a blank collet, available from Taig tools, center drilled the
                  starter hole, drilled through with a 3/32 bit and then used a jewelers
                  saw to cut the "slits". This was somewaht tedious as there is no real
                  good way of holding the collet. I drilled some holes in a block of mild
                  steel to assist in supporting the collet while I sawed. The hardest part
                  was getting it started properly. If someone has a better way of slitting,
                  please let us know.
                  Regards, Vic Bitleris

                  >From: "Peter Homann" <peter.homann@...>
                  >To: <taigtools@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: [taigtools] Modifying /Making Collets?
                  >Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 09:48:44 +1100
                  >
                  >Hi,
                  >
                  >First of all, Happy New Year.
                  >
                  >I have a number of milling bits that have metric shanks, 6mm to be exact.
                  >My
                  >question are;
                  >
                  >1. Is it possible to drill and ream out a smaller Collet to 6mm? If so any
                  >advice would be appreciated.
                  >
                  >2. If I have to make a 6mm Collet from a blank one, how does one hold a
                  >blank Collet to put the slits in it?
                  >
                  >Sorry for the terse questions, but I have to take the young one to the
                  >cinema to see Monsters Inc.
                  >
                  >Cheers,
                  >
                  >Peter
                  >

                  >Peter Homann
                  ><mailto:peter.homann@...>
                  >Work : +61 3 8530-7755
                  >Adacel Technologies Ltd Fax : +61 3 9596-2960
                  >250 Bay St, Brighton 3186, VIC, AUSTRALIA Mobile : 0421 601665
                  >http://www.adacel.com.au Australian Software Engineering Excellence

                  Vic Bitleris
                  Raleigh, NC