Re: Motors for Taig mill

  • Ken Jenkins
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
      Brian,

      You may want to check out this page:

      http://www.seanet.com/~dmauch/Products2.htm

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 05:44:49 -0800
      > From: Brian Greul <brian.greul@...>
      > Subject: Stepper Motor Sizes and Sources
      >
      > Hi guys,
      > I'm wondering what size stepper motors other people are using on their
      > Taig Mills? I see a variety of sizes for sale, but nothing that really
      > specs what is needed. I also have seen both Unipolar and Bipolar. I can't
      > see a difference except that Bipolar are a pain to drive.
      >
      > I'm also wondering where people have bought them?
      >
      > I looked at alot of the controllers that are forsale, and frankly, I
      > didn't like alot of what I saw. I also thought most of it ranged from being
      > slightly overpriced to vastly overpriced. So I'm designing a four axis
      > open-loop driver interface. I will share the design for the benefit of the
      > community when it is completed. If anyone else has gone down this road I
      > would appreciate anything you would like to contribute. At this point it
      > looks like I'm going to use the EDE1200 unipolar driver. It's an
      > inexpensive and versatile IC chip. elab.com is where I think there site is.
      >
      > -Brian

    • Daniel Munoz
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
        Hi Guys!

        Is there a rule to compute the diameter of a drill bit, given it's
        normalization ID ? I've found #80 to #1 bits, and A to Z (and also
        fractionnal sizes of course). There's plenty of metric/SAE tables on the
        internet, but I couldn't find the rule associated to the normalized
        letters and numbers. The progression of values don't seem constant !?

        Also, is there other normalized denominations for drill bits beside
        #number and LETTER ?

        I have a metric mind, and I'm a little lost between metric and imperial
        sizes. I'm working on a little computer program to easily find the right
        SAE drill bit for my metric projects ;-)

        Thanks a lot,

        Daniel.
        Quebec, Canada.
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2001
          There isn't a formula for number or letter bits, one has to do an annoying
          drill chart lookup for each size. I have entered them all into a spreadsheet
          that allows me to find the closest size - also for wire (B&S wire gauge, for
          silver wire) so I know what size hole to drill for a given wire gauge.
          felice@... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. See our web pages
          http://www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

          > Is there a rule to compute the diameter of a drill bit, given it's
          > normalization ID ? I've found #80 to #1 bits, and A to Z (and also
          > fractionnal sizes of course). There's plenty of metric/SAE tables on the
          > internet, but I couldn't find the rule associated to the normalized
          > letters and numbers. The progression of values don't seem constant !?
          >
          > Also, is there other normalized denominations for drill bits beside
          > #number and LETTER ?
          >
          > I have a metric mind, and I'm a little lost between metric and imperial
          > sizes. I'm working on a little computer program to easily find the right
          > SAE drill bit for my metric projects ;-)
          >
          > Thanks a lot,
          >
          > Daniel.
          > Quebec, Canada.

        • Daniel Munoz