Re: [taigtools] Re: Grinding your own bits

  • Stan Stocker
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2001
      A 46 for roughing and a 60 for fine work is a pretty good combo. The
      white aluminum oxide wheels from Norton are quite good, far better than
      no name gray wheels. J hardness wheels grind cooler, but require more
      frequent dressing than harder weels. As a default setup, a 46J and a
      60J is a good combination. Harder wheel glaze easier than softer ones.
      As with most things, there is a trade off.

      You might enjoy a look at the Norton web site, the link to their lit
      page is:

      http://www.nortonabrasives.com/industrial/asp/product_lit_list.asp

      Stan

    • jtoolman2000@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2001
        YES! Do learn to grind your own tools. It will same many $$$ over
        buying pre ground HSS. HSS tooling can be brought to a great edge
        that carbide cannot achieve. Blanks are cheap! I use a 60 grit and a
        100 grit white whell for finish grinds and touch ups.

        I have a grinding page on my site at:

        http://www.homestead.com/tool20895/jose7x10taig.html

        There is a picture / link on the main page.
        Thanks
        Jose