Scrap clean up

  • davidjaypark
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 28, 2013
      Hi all,

      Does anyone know of a little vaccum system that could attach to the bed of the taig to pick up all the plastic pieces that get thrown all over my work area? I usually just vaccum everything up but there has to be something better I can do.

      Basically it is just the little plastic scraps that fly off the part when they are being machined.

      Thanks so much and I really appreciate it.

      Sincerely,
      Dave
    • Paul J. Ste. Marie
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 29, 2013
        On 10/28/2013 7:20 PM, davidj93@... wrote:
        > Does anyone know of a little vaccum system that could attach to the
        > bed of the taig to pick up all the plastic pieces that get thrown all
        > over my work area? I usually just vaccum everything up but there has
        > to be something better I can do.

        Do you have an enclosure for your Taig? It can be as simple as 2x2's
        and cardboard, or something more elaborate.
      • WAM
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 29, 2013
          Here's a vid - the vac doesn't attach to the bed - the cutting area is
          always in the same place, so it just mounts nearby:
          http://home.comcast.net/%7Eajawam1/DSCN1990.wmv
          just a Shop vac wired to start with the mist coolant output from Mach 3
          using a relay.

          Typically only use the vac for cutting plastics

          I just put up some lexan and made a sliding door...

          pic of the setup:
          http://home.comcast.net/~ajawam3/swarf/maxnc.html

          davidj93@... wrote:

          >Hi all,
          >
          >Does anyone know of a little vaccum system that could attach to the bed of the taig to pick up all the plastic pieces that get thrown all over my work area? I usually just vaccum everything up but there has to be something better I can do.
          >
          >Basically it is just the little plastic scraps that fly off the part when they are being machined.
          >
          >Thanks so much and I really appreciate it.
          >
          >Sincerely,
          >Dave

        • Paul J. Ste. Marie
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 29, 2013
            On 10/29/2013 4:12 AM, WAM wrote:
            > Here's a vid - the vac doesn't attach to the bed - the cutting area is
            > always in the same place, so it just mounts nearby:
            > http://home.comcast.net/%7Eajawam1/DSCN1990.wmv
            > just a Shop vac wired to start with the mist coolant output from Mach 3
            > using a relay.

            After I went with the full enclosure
            (http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/taigtools/photos/albums/812768310/lightbox/1827043060?orderBy=ordinal&sortOrder=asc)
            the mess was all confined and vacuuming it up periodically is NBD. I've
            thought about cutting a hole to attach a vac in the bench, but concluded
            I'd drop too many pieces in the hole along with the swarf.

            Your clumsiness may vary :-)
          • davidjaypark
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 29, 2013

              Thanks everyone for responding. I really appreciate it.

              Paul that is one of the more impressive enclosures I have seen. It looks great.

              Was it difficult to make? You aren't by any chance in Northern California are you:)?

              I sure would love to either make one of those or purchase one. Outstanding and thanks for your thoughts.

              Dave

              ---In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, <taig@...> wrote:

              On 10/29/2013 4:12 AM, WAM wrote:
              > Here's a vid - the vac doesn't attach to the bed - the cutting area is
              > always in the same place, so it just mounts nearby:
              > http://home.comcast.net/%7Eajawam1/DSCN1990.wmv
              > just a Shop vac wired to start with the mist coolant output from Mach 3
              > using a relay.

              After I went with the full enclosure
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/taigtools/photos/albums/812768310/lightbox/1827043060?orderBy=ordinal&sortOrder=asc)
              the mess was all confined and vacuuming it up periodically is NBD. I've
              thought about cutting a hole to attach a vac in the bench, but concluded
              I'd drop too many pieces in the hole along with the swarf.

              Your clumsiness may vary :-)
            • Paul Archibald
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 29, 2013
                maybe wrong Paul, but i am!

                I like the enclosure! I was thinkig about building up something similar to enclose both a taig lathe and mill. I am still looking at my pile of parts to make one and a half taig lathes, and figuring who to build up a mill from the second headstock assembly and build up a stronger adjustable upright assy.

                Paul

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 29, 2013

                  Paul from NorCal,

                  If you build an enclosure like the other Paul's will you let me know? That is a thing of beauty. Really gorgeous and it would make things much easier on my end.

                  Tried to build a different type of enclosure before and I didn't like what I did.

                  Thanks again.

                  Dave

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 29, 2013
                    On 10/29/2013 11:44 AM, davidj93@... wrote:
                    > Thanks everyone for responding. I really appreciate it.
                    >
                    > Paul that is one of the more impressive enclosures I have seen. It
                    > looks great.

                    There's another enclosure in the archive made from 8020 that inspired
                    this one.

                    > Was it difficult to make? You aren't by any chance in Northern
                    > California are you:)?

                    Not terribly. I got a deal on the polycarbonate--about 75% off list.
                    The rest is 10-series 80/20. You can scout deals on their eBay store
                    and optimize for the pieces that you need. Some of the fasteners I got
                    from a 3rd party seller--don't remember the name offhand, and I bought
                    the machine screws and handles from Amazon. The drill jig 80/20 sells
                    is worth its weight in gold.

                    The stuff cuts nicely on a table saw with a non-ferrous blade. You
                    definitely want to use a good quality spiral point tap when tapping the
                    ends and the aluminum tapping fluid from Tap Magic (the green stuff).

                    Other than that, the photo album shows most of the assembly tricks.
                  • davidjaypark
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013

                       Paul would you ever be interested in selling one of those enclosures? It is gorgeous and you did a fantastic job. I looked through all the pics and thanks for showing exactly what you did. Very helpful. However I am not the best with my hands, so I thought I would ask.

                      Thanks Paul!

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 31, 2013
                        On 10/31/2013 12:54 PM, davidj93@... wrote:
                        > Paul would you ever be interested in selling one of those enclosures?
                        > It is gorgeous and you did a fantastic job. I looked through all the
                        > pics and thanks for showing exactly what you did. Very helpful.
                        > However I am not the best with my hands, so I thought I would ask.

                        If this was my day job I'd be glad to, but it's not so alas no can do.

                        I can get you a part list and machining instructions. 80/20 will kit it
                        all up for you and do all the machining, but it will be pricey. My
                        guess is $300-400 minimum, but when it arrives you'll just need a 5/32
                        allen wrench to put it together. Also, they are amazing experts at
                        shipping, which I'm not.
                      • amandawalker
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 1, 2013

                          I made a less elegant enclosure out of melamine-surfaced pressboard and a stand made out of 2x4s and 4x4s.  It was cheap, but it works pretty well.  This is not a great photo, but you can just barely see the sheet of acrylic I set across the opening while the machine is running to catch particularly high-flying chips.

                          --Amanda

                          ---In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, <taigtools@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          On 10/31/2013 12:54 PM, davidj93@... wrote:
                          > Paul would you ever be interested in selling one of those enclosures?
                          > It is gorgeous and you did a fantastic job. I looked through all the
                          > pics and thanks for showing exactly what you did. Very helpful.
                          > However I am not the best with my hands, so I thought I would ask.

                          If this was my day job I'd be glad to, but it's not so alas no can do.

                          I can get you a part list and machining instructions. 80/20 will kit it
                          all up for you and do all the machining, but it will be pricey. My
                          guess is $300-400 minimum, but when it arrives you'll just need a 5/32
                          allen wrench to put it together. Also, they are amazing experts at
                          shipping, which I'm not.
                        • Pat Goodyear
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 1, 2013

                            Been seeing the ideas,  I use a piece of folded thin cardboard to catch the back swarf, I stop frequently to remove the large curls, I have a bucket I put the aluminum swarf in, that becomes my feed for the furnace to cast new parts.    Anyhow Plexiglass or Lexan is easy to cut and bend.   To cut score it with a razor knife then break it over a rigid edge, a pipe or large dowel may work.   If using a power tool to cut use an extremely fine blade and go very slow, it will melt and chip easily.      To bend it a heat gun is the ticket, support it where you don’t want it bent and heat it up slowly and allow gravity to do the rest, for instance want a drip edge, clamp it between two 2x4’s and heat the panel where it comes out, will bend to the radius of the 2x4.     When drilling use a hand drill or a power drill at a very slow rpm and don’t hog it or it will chip and crack.    To finish the edges use a heat gun or a propane torch to gently melt the edge and allow it to flow, don’t stay in one place very long.    If one practices one can even form compound curves.    I have made canopies for models by supporting the outside shape and heating in an oven, using 1/16 th or thinner.

                            pat

                            I made a less elegant enclosure out of melamine-surfaced pressboard and a stand made out of 2x4s and 4x4s.  It was cheap, but it works pretty well.  This is not a great photo, but you can just barely see the sheet of acrylic I set across the opening while the machine is running to catch particularly high-flying chips.

                            --Amanda

                            ---In taigtools@yahoogroups.com , < taigtools@yahoogroups.com > wrote:

                            On 10/31/2013 12:54 PM, davidj93@... wrote:

                            > Paul would you ever be interested in selling one of those enclosures?

                            > It is gorgeous and you did a fantastic job. I looked through all the
                            > pics and thanks for showing exactly what you did. Very helpful.
                            > However I am not the best with my hands, so I thought I would ask.

                            If this was my day job I'd be glad to, but it's not so alas no can do.

                            I can get you a part list and machining instructions. 80/20 will kit it
                            all up for you and do all the machining, but it will be pricey. My
                            guess is $300-400 minimum, but when it arrives you'll just need a 5/32
                            allen wrench to put it together. Also, they are amazing experts at
                            shipping, which I'm not.

                          • yrralguthrie
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 1, 2013

                              If you go to the 80-20 web site you can find a link for them to build the enclosure for you.

                              Just get in touch with them and send them a picture of Paul's design and then can make one for you.  You won't have to draw or design anything.  As Paul said it will be pricey.  What he made was not cheap.  The structual shape are not so expensive, but the special hinges, connectors, and screws are.

                              Larry

                              ---In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, <taigtools@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                              I made a less elegant enclosure out of melamine-surfaced pressboard and a stand made out of 2x4s and 4x4s.  It was cheap, but it works pretty well.  This is not a great photo, but you can just barely see the sheet of acrylic I set across the opening while the machine is running to catch particularly high-flying chips.

                              --Amanda

                              ---In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, <taigtools@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                              On 10/31/2013 12:54 PM, davidj93@... wrote:
                              > Paul would you ever be interested in selling one of those enclosures?
                              > It is gorgeous and you did a fantastic job. I looked through all the
                              > pics and thanks for showing exactly what you did. Very helpful.
                              > However I am not the best with my hands, so I thought I would ask.

                              If this was my day job I'd be glad to, but it's not so alas no can do.

                              I can get you a part list and machining instructions. 80/20 will kit it
                              all up for you and do all the machining, but it will be pricey. My
                              guess is $300-400 minimum, but when it arrives you'll just need a 5/32
                              allen wrench to put it together. Also, they are amazing experts at
                              shipping, which I'm not.
                            • Don Rogers
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 1, 2013

                                I decided that I needed an enclosure.  My mill sets in a drip pan, one you get at the hardware store to slip under your car to catch drops.  I decided that I would use some 20 mil clear vinyl for the windows and 3/4” PVC piping for the frame.  To mount it to the base, I decided to use some 3” diameter magnets from Harbor Freight.  I butchered some PVC fittings to attach the magnets to, and killed a couple 20ft lengths of pvc building the frame.  Woops I didn’t allow for the X stepper motor at full right table,  Woops, I didn’t plan on Y motor well enough.  My lift off front was catching and after a couple re-designs,  I gave up on the idea.  The killer was not being able to find clips to attach the Vinyl to the frame.  I checked around with some of the Ag stores as it was similar to the temp hothouse designs put up with bows of PVC and the plastic clipped to it.  The answer was to use the black irrigation tubing of the same size as the PVC and cut inch to inch and a half lengths and then slit them length wise.  Great.  I go to the Farmers supply and tell them what I need.  AH sorry, we have the tubing but it comes in 250ft rolls, we don’t cut short lengths

                                Why do I share all of this?  Taking the “cheap way out” isn’t likely going to be the cheap way.  I’ve a Ben Franklin and a Ulysses Grant invested in a pile of junk pipes and a roll off vinyl.  ($150 for those not familiar with US currency).  I am still looking at the full cost of making a proper enclosure for my mill and the final cost will be $150 more than it should have cost me.

                                My one possibility to salvage the project is to see if the local Habit for Humanity has some long length of Track lighting channels.  They look as if they may make a good frame, or is it  more money and time down the rabbit hole?

                                Don

                              • Paul J. Ste. Marie
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 2, 2013
                                  On 11/1/2013 12:12 PM, yrralguthrie@... wrote:
                                  > If you go to the 80-20 web site you can find a link for them to build
                                  > the enclosure for you.
                                  >
                                  > ... The structual shape are not so expensive, but the special
                                  > hinges, connectors, and screws are.

                                  I knew there was reason to keep old email around. tnutz.com is the
                                  place I was thinking of. He has most of the specialty connnectors for
                                  about 1/2 the 80-20 price.

                                  Lexan panels are the most expensive parts. I lurked on eBay and picked
                                  some up for about 1/3 the normal price per sq ft.

                                  I've uploaded a spreadsheet with a BOM and part numbers for the base
                                  enclosure to the files section. Look for
                                  "MillEnclosure8020-fullbom.xlsx". My notes on the CNC control box are
                                  sketchy, and I don't think I ever had an actual plan for the keyboard
                                  tray or the monitor mount.
                                • steve_fornelius2000
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 2, 2013
                                    I went the other route, I can't use an enclosure because my mill sits on a desk and I use the desk for tools etc.  So I made a swarf curtain for my mill using 1/8" x 3/4 cheapo aluminum from the hardware store, some double faced tape, and plastic from a heavy weight bag.  The frame mounts to the headstock and the plastic drapes onto and around the tables.  The plastic is cut into 1/2" strips, somewhat like they use in cold storage areas as pass throughs.  This way the swarf is concentrated right around the mill and there is no limitation on length of stock or distance the tables move.

                                    What I relied on was that the swarf generally travels in up and out direction, that the swarf doesn't have any real mass to stop, that I should be able to watch the operation through the plastic, and obviously the cutter can't come into contact with the plastic.

                                    Version 1:  1/4 6061 aluminum used for frame - tooooo thick to bend nicely in a vice.  Plastic too thin to drape properly.  Clothespins to hold plastic to frame - cumbersome.

                                    Version 2:  same frame but with fiberglass window screen material.  Drapes well, but the edges catch on each other too much.

                                    Version 3:  1/8" frame with heavier plastic works ok, but needs two layers to cover gaps as the table moves, and needs longer at the back to stop swarf in that direction.

                                    I'm aiming for at least 95% of the swarf to be within 4 inches of the mill, and its coming along nicely as I have time.

                                    For testing, I'm flycutting aluminum bar stock up to 2" above the table.

                                    Steve

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 4, 2013

                                      Paul, could you upload the BOM again.  It seems to have gone missing of the files

                                      Thanks

                                      Don

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 4, 2013

                                        Never mind,  I just found it.  Turns out sorting the files by latest first doesn’t actually do that, but shows folders first, then individual files.  I just didn’t look far enough.

                                        Don