yet another Drill & Tap size chart

  • Paul J. Ste. Marie
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 28, 2013
      After getting dissatisfied with the usual drill & tap size chart
      formats, I threw this together. If folks think it's useful I'll put
      together metric and crossover (US drills/metric threads and vice versa)
      versions.

      http://www.ste-marie.org/DrillAndThreadSizes.html
    • nickandfelice

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 28, 2013
          How about offering it in a .pdf version?

          Thanks, Donnie

          SKCC #10784
          Sent from my iPhone

          On Oct 28, 2013, at 12:08 PM, "Paul J. Ste. Marie" <taig@...> wrote:

          After getting dissatisfied with the usual drill & tap size chart
          formats, I threw this together. If folks think it's useful I'll put
          together metric and crossover (US drills/metric threads and vice versa)
          versions.

          http://www.ste-marie.org/DrillAndThreadSizes.html

        • greg.mcfadden

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 28, 2013

                Guys, you can make a PDF file by using PDFprinter.  The chart ends up as three pages with no clear break line.

                You can do a CTRL A on the page then copy and paste it into Excel,  You loose the bold prints, group outlines, and color of the groups which you will have to put back in yourself.

                I think Paul has done great job with this chart and I for one appreciate it as is.  Any other format is either going to make the print so small that it will be hard to read, or be a multi page that is hard to read.  My hat’s off to the work Paul has done and that he is sharing it..

                Don

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 29, 2013
                  On 10/28/2013 11:03 AM, felice@... wrote:
                  > I'm confused as to how you derived the thread percentages however.
                  > They seem to differ from other charts that I think use the external
                  > minimum rather than the internal minimum as the basis for the
                  > calculation.

                  Short answer is:

                  (major diameter - tap hole) / (major diameter - minor diameter)

                  A longer explanation...

                  The height of a sharp V thread is:

                  H = 1/2*(1/TPI) * tan(60 deg)

                  1/TPI is the base of the thread triangle, 1/2 of that gives you the base
                  leg of a right triangle, and tangent * leg gives the height of the
                  triangle. That works out to 0.866/TPI

                  Unified Standard threads are 5/8th's of that height. Tap hole size is then:

                  major diameter - 2 * thread % * 5/8H
                  = major diameter - 1.08253 * % thread / TPI

                  (see Machinery's Handbook, 28th ed, Tapping, p1935).

                  (minor diameter is major diameter - 2 * 5/8H)

                  Let Dm = major diameter, Dt = tap hole size, and tp = % thread, and you have

                  Dt = Dm - 2 * tp * (5/8) (1/2) tan(60) / TPI

                  2 * tp * (5/8) (1/2) tan(60) / TPI = Dm - Dt
                  tp = ((8/5)/tan(60)) * TPI * (Dm-Dt)
                  = 0.924 * TPI * (Dm-Dt)

                  You can go further and adjust that number for class of fit, but I don't
                  think the correction matters much. Looser fits will have slightly
                  bigger taps, and you'll get slightly deeper threads and slightly less
                  thread engagement--in other words it cancels out in the end.
                • Paul J. Ste. Marie
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 29, 2013
                    On 10/28/2013 6:11 PM, Don Rogers wrote:
                    > Guys, you can make a PDF file by using PDFprinter. The chart ends up as
                    > three pages with no clear break line.
                    >
                    > You can do a CTRL A on the page then copy and paste it into Excel, You
                    > loose the bold prints, group outlines, and color of the groups which you
                    > will have to put back in yourself.

                    The master is an Excel sheet, which is why doing metric and mixed charts
                    would be fairly easy. I'll post the xls and pdf versions in a few minuts.
                  • James Eckman
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 29, 2013
                      I like the oversize clearance along with % thread, I haven't seen that
                      combo before. Very nice and easy to read.

                      Jim
                    • John Wilson
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 29, 2013
                        Here is a pdf version

                      • Paul J. Ste. Marie
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 29, 2013
                          On 10/29/2013 12:16 AM, Paul J. Ste. Marie wrote:
                          > The master is an Excel sheet, which is why doing metric and mixed charts
                          > would be fairly easy. I'll post the xls and pdf versions in a few minuts.

                          I put these up last night...

                          http://www.ste-marie.org/DrillAndThreadSizes.html
                          http://www.ste-marie.org/DrillAndThreadSizes.pdf

                          http://www.ste-marie.org/DrillAndThreadSizes.html
                          http://www.ste-marie.org/DrillAndThreadSizes.xls
                        • Paul J. Ste. Marie
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 29, 2013
                          • Stan Stocker
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 30, 2013
                              Hi Paul,

                              You've created a really neat chart here. All the info in one neat easy
                              to use presentation.

                              Thanks for sharing all your work!

                              Stan

                              On 10/30/2013 02:27 AM, Paul J. Ste. Marie wrote:
                              > New versions of the xls and pdf with adjustments for page breaks.
                              >
                              >> http://www.ste-marie.org/DrillAndThreadSizes.html http://www.ste-marie.org/DrillAndThreadSizes.html
                              >>

                              > http://www.ste-marie.org/DrillAndThreadSizes.pdf
                              > http://www.ste-marie.org/DrillAndThreadSizes.xls
                            • Gerrit Visser
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 30, 2013

                                Merci

                                A very innovative way to display the data.

                                You have to love Excel, very powerful.

                                Gerrit

                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 30, 2013
                                  Paul, thanks for the chart it is fantastic in whatever format. I have used
                                  both metric and imperial close enough threads several times. Last time on
                                  a antique automatic fly reel that the pivot screw broke off, best guess was
                                  3mm .4, but a 3-48 worked close enough. I would be very interested in a
                                  crossover chart.

                                  Pat

                                  After getting dissatisfied with the usual drill & tap size chart
                                  formats, I threw this together. If folks think it's useful I'll put
                                  together metric and crossover (US drills/metric threads and vice versa)
                                  versions.

                                  http://www.ste-marie.org/DrillAndThreadSizes.html

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                                • chevy_sampath