My Taig lathe with DROs

  • ovipo58
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 15, 2013
      I just finished installing DROs on my new Taig lathe, I've uploaded a few pictures here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/files/Taig%20lathe%20with%20DROs/

      I milled on my Taig CNC a couple of brackets (both for the X axis). No milling required for the Y axis, just a bracket from a piece of aluminum corner, and a threaded hole in the saddle.

      Works like a charm, I'm very happy with the results.

      BTW, after machining my 3 jaw scroll chuck, the TIR is now between 1 and 2 mil for turns between 1/4" and 1/2". I suppose this is ok, or could it be better? I measured the arbor TIR and is 0.2 - 0.3 mil.

      I've also tried the Sherline 4 jaw scroll chuck, mounted using a precision 1 1/4" x 7/8" x 1/4" arbor spacer and it's a disappointment; the TIR is 4-5 mil. The machined Taig 4 jaw scroll chuck has again a TIR of 1-2 mil, so I'll stay with that. Would the A2Z steel jaws (after machining) for the Taig provide any further advantage?
    • Lester Caine
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 16, 2013
        ovipo58 wrote:
        The photo section would have been better ...

        --
        Lester Caine - G8HFL
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 16, 2013
          Nicely done, thanks for showing. I might make something similar.