Re: [taigtools] Re: Machining Away Taig Lathe Rack Channel

  • ED MAISEY
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 31, 2013
      Anon,

          seeing as you have limited tooling, perhaps an easier way would be for you to remove headstock, tailstock, and saddle , allowing you to place the top face of the bed down flat onto the mill table, but first if you can find some odd pieces of metal or parallels and place them into one of the t-slots at both ends of the table and perhaps use feeler gauges to make them a good fit make sure they stick up above the mill table surface, that will act as a location to push your lathe edge against which will automatically ensure the lathe bed is parallel with your X axis , then perhaps you will be able to side mill the extrusion, I would place a thin sheet of fresh clean writing paper to protect between both surfaces, be over cautious on the clamping you wouldn't want it to move while machining, I say this because its an unknown the amount or type of tooling you have for this particular operation, good luck, slow but sure is the word,

      ........Edmund.........

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 1, 2013
        Hello Edmond and Jeff,

        I ended up successfully using a hybrid of both of your suggestions.

        Ed I tried to clamp the lathe bed upside down to permit side milling. There is a small flare along the bottom of the aluminum bed extrusion that ended up in the way of the tooling I had on hand so it didn't work. I did however use paper to protect the mill table surface because I put the lathe bed directly on the mill table.

        Jeff I decided to mill the bed on it's side but without a wooden packing block. The extrusion itself fit nicely on the mill table once I removed the factory installed mounting foot on the left side of the lathe bed with the steel dovetail top registered on the outside back of the mill table and the extrusion flare fitting conveniently into a table slot.

        I managed to get the rack channel extrusion down to just a couple of thou and then sanded the mill marks away only for visual reasons. Even with the 2019ER extended table I had to remount/reclamp the lathe bed to get at the whole rack channel.

        I posted more pictures in the Photo Album if you are interested in seeing how the whole process worked. The X-axis on the 2019ER is quite long and the pictures reveal a nice convenience I figured out to speed up the table return after doing a milling stoke.

        When I get the retrofit kit totally installed I post the end result.

        Your advice and experience are greatly appreciated.

        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 1, 2013
          Good point!

          Sorry I am new to this type of communication so here goes...

          Powerfeed Retrofit for Lathe Photo Album
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/photos/album/1642636517/pic/lis\
          t>

          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "dethrow2" wrote:

          > hello can you post a link to your photo album, there are quite a few
          photos out there thanks james
          > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "mayor_of_atlantis"
          mayor_of_atlantis@ wrote:

          > > Thanks Jeff,
          > >
          > > I started a new Photo Album on this user group to try and share the
          timeline, trials and tribulations of my journey into making my lathe
          power feed. The Photo Album is called "Powerfeed Retrofit for Lathe."
          The first two photos are simply my existing machine/motor/stand setup
          (with most accessories removed). As I progress I'll update the album
          with the intent to seek advice and suggestions from the fellow users of
          this forum.

          > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Birt" wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Don't depend on the accuracy of the wooden block to keep the lathe
          base
          > > > true. After fixing the base into position you'll need to use an
          indicator,
          > > > or even a feeler gauge under the bit and measure the lathe base in
          several
          > > > locations to check for it being level. Shim as needed.
          > > >

          > > > I used the provided pulley and rubber band. Doing so keeps the
          rate of
          > > > travel in proportion to the rotation rate of the stock, just like
          a big
          > > > lathe does.
          > > >

          > > > Jeff Birt
          > > >
          > > > Soigeneris.com

          On Behalf
          > > > Of mayor_of_atlantis
          > > > Sent: Monday, July 29, 2013 6:23 PM
          > > > To: taigtools@yahoogroups.com
          > > > Subject: [taigtools] Re: Machining Away Taig Lathe Rack Channel
          > > >

          > > > Thanks Jeff,
          > > >
          > > > Great article! I too will use a wooden "packing" to support the
          lathe bed on
          > > > the mill table. I'll use a very stable piece of hardwood and make
          the
          > > > parallelism of the wood is a true as I can get it.
          > > >
          > > > Do you use the supplied retro fit kit pulley and drive the gear
          box from the
          > > > headstock with a rubber band or have you fitted an auxilliary
          motor/switch?

          > > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com ,

          http://taigownersclub.forumotion.net/t411-how-to-install-the-power-feed-\
          upgr
          > > > (part

          > > > feed

        • mayor_of_atlantis
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 1, 2013
            Link to my Powerfeed Retrofit for Lathe Photo Album