Re: Machining Away Taig Lathe Rack Channel

  • mayor_of_atlantis
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 29, 2013
      Thanks Jeff,

      I started a new Photo Album on this user group to try and share the timeline, trials and tribulations of my journey into making my lathe power feed. The Photo Album is called "Powerfeed Retrofit for Lathe." The first two photos are simply my existing machine/motor/stand setup (with most accessories removed). As I progress I'll update the album with the intent to seek advice and suggestions from the fellow users of this forum.

      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Birt" <birt_j@...> wrote:

      > Don't depend on the accuracy of the wooden block to keep the lathe base
      > true. After fixing the base into position you'll need to use an indicator,
      > or even a feeler gauge under the bit and measure the lathe base in several
      > locations to check for it being level. Shim as needed.
      >

      > I used the provided pulley and rubber band. Doing so keeps the rate of
      > travel in proportion to the rotation rate of the stock, just like a big
      > lathe does.
      >

      > Jeff Birt
      >
      > Soigeneris.com

    • Ken Cline
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 29, 2013
        On 29 Jul 2013, at 5:48 PM, Jeffrey Birt wrote:

        > Don't depend on the accuracy of the wooden block to keep the lathe base
        > true.

        Why not? Assuming the end grain is used were stability is needed, movement should be no more than a 0.001", and likely less than 0.0001".

      • Edmund
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 29, 2013
          Anon,

          if you have some straight steel stock or parallels to build the bed high enough and an angle plate/plates large enough just rest the edge of the dovetail edge on the parallels and just eye it parallel with the mill table and clamp to the angle plate or vice, the operation is just to remove the extruded part it doesn't have to be completely removed it just needs to have clearance for the leadscrew nut

          I have posted some pictures Edmunds powerfeed

          ...........Edmund........

          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "mayor_of_atlantis" <mayor_of_atlantis@...> wrote:

          > Just took delivery of a 2019 Manual Mill and a Power Feed Retrofit kit for my lathe. I will be using the "machine away the rack channel" method of attaching the power feed kit to my exisiting lathe.
          >
          > Any suggestions on how to level/clamp the lathe bed to the mill to machine away the rack channel and any suggestions for which type of cutter to use?

        • dethrow2
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 30, 2013
            hello can you post a link to your photo album, there are quite a few photos out there thanks james

            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 31, 2013
              Thank you Edmund,

              Your posted pictures clearly showed me what you have previously explained. Since I am rather new to precision machining I have limited packing and clamping facility. A lot of what I'll be doing initially as I better my skills and experience using these precision machines is making appropriate fixing angles, parallels, studs, clamp bars etc.. Along with this I am trying to source readily available local raw materials (that is my $10 way of saying "dumpster diving" for usable scrap!)

              For the time being I'll be "McGivering" and experimenting whenever I can and I really appreciate all of the feedback.

              --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Edmund" <holmes_ca_2000@...> wrote:

              > Anon,
              >
              > if you have some straight steel stock or parallels to build the bed high enough and an angle plate/plates large enough just rest the edge of the dovetail edge on the parallels and just eye it parallel with the mill table and clamp to the angle plate or vice, the operation is just to remove the extruded part it doesn't have to be completely removed it just needs to have clearance for the leadscrew nut
              >
              > I have posted some pictures Edmunds powerfeed
              >

              > ...........Edmund........
              >

              > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "mayor_of_atlantis" <mayor_of_atlantis@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Just took delivery of a 2019 Manual Mill and a Power Feed Retrofit kit for my lathe. I will be using the "machine away the rack channel" method of attaching the power feed kit to my exisiting lathe.
              > >
              > > Any suggestions on how to level/clamp the lathe bed to the mill to machine away the rack channel and any suggestions for which type of cutter to use?

            • ED MAISEY
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 31, 2013
                Anon,

                    seeing as you have limited tooling, perhaps an easier way would be for you to remove headstock, tailstock, and saddle , allowing you to place the top face of the bed down flat onto the mill table, but first if you can find some odd pieces of metal or parallels and place them into one of the t-slots at both ends of the table and perhaps use feeler gauges to make them a good fit make sure they stick up above the mill table surface, that will act as a location to push your lathe edge against which will automatically ensure the lathe bed is parallel with your X axis , then perhaps you will be able to side mill the extrusion, I would place a thin sheet of fresh clean writing paper to protect between both surfaces, be over cautious on the clamping you wouldn't want it to move while machining, I say this because its an unknown the amount or type of tooling you have for this particular operation, good luck, slow but sure is the word,

                ........Edmund.........

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 1, 2013
                  Hello Edmond and Jeff,

                  I ended up successfully using a hybrid of both of your suggestions.

                  Ed I tried to clamp the lathe bed upside down to permit side milling. There is a small flare along the bottom of the aluminum bed extrusion that ended up in the way of the tooling I had on hand so it didn't work. I did however use paper to protect the mill table surface because I put the lathe bed directly on the mill table.

                  Jeff I decided to mill the bed on it's side but without a wooden packing block. The extrusion itself fit nicely on the mill table once I removed the factory installed mounting foot on the left side of the lathe bed with the steel dovetail top registered on the outside back of the mill table and the extrusion flare fitting conveniently into a table slot.

                  I managed to get the rack channel extrusion down to just a couple of thou and then sanded the mill marks away only for visual reasons. Even with the 2019ER extended table I had to remount/reclamp the lathe bed to get at the whole rack channel.

                  I posted more pictures in the Photo Album if you are interested in seeing how the whole process worked. The X-axis on the 2019ER is quite long and the pictures reveal a nice convenience I figured out to speed up the table return after doing a milling stoke.

                  When I get the retrofit kit totally installed I post the end result.

                  Your advice and experience are greatly appreciated.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 1, 2013
                    Good point!

                    Sorry I am new to this type of communication so here goes...

                    Powerfeed Retrofit for Lathe Photo Album
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/photos/album/1642636517/pic/lis\
                    t>

                    --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "dethrow2" wrote:

                    > hello can you post a link to your photo album, there are quite a few
                    photos out there thanks james
                    > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "mayor_of_atlantis"
                    mayor_of_atlantis@ wrote:

                    > > Thanks Jeff,
                    > >
                    > > I started a new Photo Album on this user group to try and share the
                    timeline, trials and tribulations of my journey into making my lathe
                    power feed. The Photo Album is called "Powerfeed Retrofit for Lathe."
                    The first two photos are simply my existing machine/motor/stand setup
                    (with most accessories removed). As I progress I'll update the album
                    with the intent to seek advice and suggestions from the fellow users of
                    this forum.

                    > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Birt" wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Don't depend on the accuracy of the wooden block to keep the lathe
                    base
                    > > > true. After fixing the base into position you'll need to use an
                    indicator,
                    > > > or even a feeler gauge under the bit and measure the lathe base in
                    several
                    > > > locations to check for it being level. Shim as needed.
                    > > >

                    > > > I used the provided pulley and rubber band. Doing so keeps the
                    rate of
                    > > > travel in proportion to the rotation rate of the stock, just like
                    a big
                    > > > lathe does.
                    > > >

                    > > > Jeff Birt
                    > > >
                    > > > Soigeneris.com

                  • mayor_of_atlantis
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 1, 2013
                      Link to my Powerfeed Retrofit for Lathe Photo Album