Machining Away Taig Lathe Rack Channel

  • mayor_of_atlantis
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 28, 2013
      Just took delivery of a 2019 Manual Mill and a Power Feed Retrofit kit for my lathe. I will be using the "machine away the rack channel" method of attaching the power feed kit to my exisiting lathe.

      Any suggestions on how to level/clamp the lathe bed to the mill to machine away the rack channel and any suggestions for which type of cutter to use?
    • Paul J. Ste. Marie
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 28, 2013
        On 7/28/2013 1:12 PM, mayor_of_atlantis wrote:
        > Any suggestions on how to level/clamp the lathe bed to the mill to machine away the rack channel and any suggestions for which type of cutter to use?

        Ugh. Pair of angle plates or 2-3" screwless vises, maybe? You'll need
        to use a DTI to get it aligned.
      • juangelt
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 29, 2013
          is there a reason you can't just turn the lathe bed around so the back side is in front with no rack channel?

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 29, 2013
            That is indeed one option. The mounting foot ends up at the rh end of the
            lathe, but that isn't a problem.
            On 29 Jul 2013 08:01, "juangelt" <juangelt@...> wrote:

            > is there a reason you can't just turn the lathe bed around so the back
            > side is in front with no rack channel?
            >
            > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "mayor_of_atlantis" <mayor_of_atlantis@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Just took delivery of a 2019 Manual Mill and a Power Feed Retrofit kit
            > for my lathe. I will be using the "machine away the rack channel" method
            > of attaching the power feed kit to my exisiting lathe.
            > >
            > > Any suggestions on how to level/clamp the lathe bed to the mill to
            > machine away the rack channel and any suggestions for which type of cutter
            > to use?

          • Jeffrey Birt
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 29, 2013
              Take a look here:
              http://taigownersclub.forumotion.net/t411-how-to-install-the-power-feed-upgr
              ade-kit?highlight=power+feed , you will have to sign up to view posts (part
              of some sort of spam prevention measures.)

              I did this write up on how I machined my lathe bed to accept the power feed
              kit.

              Jeff Birt

              Soigeneris.com

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 29, 2013
                oh, right. i put another foot on the other end of mine and it was so long ago i guess i forgot it didn't come that way...lol
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYaONG6vnMI

                --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Tony Jeffree <tony@...> wrote:

                > That is indeed one option. The mounting foot ends up at the rh end of the
                > lathe, but that isn't a problem.
                > On 29 Jul 2013 08:01, "juangelt" <juangelt@...> wrote:
                >
                > > is there a reason you can't just turn the lathe bed around so the back
                > > side is in front with no rack channel?
                > >
                > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "mayor_of_atlantis" <mayor_of_atlantis@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Just took delivery of a 2019 Manual Mill and a Power Feed Retrofit kit
                > > for my lathe. I will be using the "machine away the rack channel" method
                > > of attaching the power feed kit to my exisiting lathe.
                > > >
                > > > Any suggestions on how to level/clamp the lathe bed to the mill to
                > > machine away the rack channel and any suggestions for which type of cutter
                > > to use?

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • mayor_of_atlantis
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 29, 2013
                  Hi there,

                  No reason other than I already have a custom made stand that is set up for the lathe bed oriented with the foot to the left.

                  thanks,

                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 29, 2013
                    Thanks Tony,

                    The only reason i have chosen to mill the channel away is because I have a custom base/motor configuartion I made that I want to preserve. It requires that the bed to be mounted with the foot to the left only to avoid making more holes.

                    I'd post a picture of my current setup but I haven't figured that part out yet for this user group.

                    --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Tony Jeffree <tony@...> wrote:

                    > That is indeed one option. The mounting foot ends up at the rh end of the
                    > lathe, but that isn't a problem.
                    > On 29 Jul 2013 08:01, "juangelt" <juangelt@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > is there a reason you can't just turn the lathe bed around so the back
                    > > side is in front with no rack channel?
                    > >
                    > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "mayor_of_atlantis" <mayor_of_atlantis@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Just took delivery of a 2019 Manual Mill and a Power Feed Retrofit kit
                    > > for my lathe. I will be using the "machine away the rack channel" method
                    > > of attaching the power feed kit to my exisiting lathe.
                    > > >
                    > > > Any suggestions on how to level/clamp the lathe bed to the mill to
                    > > machine away the rack channel and any suggestions for which type of cutter
                    > > to use?

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • mayor_of_atlantis
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 29, 2013
                      Thanks Jeff,

                      Great article! I too will use a wooden "packing" to support the lathe bed on the mill table. I'll use a very stable piece of hardwood and make the parallelism of the wood is a true as I can get it.

                      Do you use the supplied retro fit kit pulley and drive the gear box from the headstock with a rubber band or have you fitted an auxilliary motor/switch?

                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 29, 2013
                        Don't depend on the accuracy of the wooden block to keep the lathe base
                        true. After fixing the base into position you'll need to use an indicator,
                        or even a feeler gauge under the bit and measure the lathe base in several
                        locations to check for it being level. Shim as needed.

                        I used the provided pulley and rubber band. Doing so keeps the rate of
                        travel in proportion to the rotation rate of the stock, just like a big
                        lathe does.

                        Jeff Birt

                        Soigeneris.com

                        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com> ,

                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 29, 2013
                          Thanks Jeff,

                          I started a new Photo Album on this user group to try and share the timeline, trials and tribulations of my journey into making my lathe power feed. The Photo Album is called "Powerfeed Retrofit for Lathe." The first two photos are simply my existing machine/motor/stand setup (with most accessories removed). As I progress I'll update the album with the intent to seek advice and suggestions from the fellow users of this forum.

                        • Ken Cline
                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 29, 2013
                            On 29 Jul 2013, at 5:48 PM, Jeffrey Birt wrote:

                            > Don't depend on the accuracy of the wooden block to keep the lathe base
                            > true.

                            Why not? Assuming the end grain is used were stability is needed, movement should be no more than a 0.001", and likely less than 0.0001".

                          • Edmund
                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 29, 2013
                              Anon,

                              if you have some straight steel stock or parallels to build the bed high enough and an angle plate/plates large enough just rest the edge of the dovetail edge on the parallels and just eye it parallel with the mill table and clamp to the angle plate or vice, the operation is just to remove the extruded part it doesn't have to be completely removed it just needs to have clearance for the leadscrew nut

                              I have posted some pictures Edmunds powerfeed

                              ...........Edmund........

                              --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "mayor_of_atlantis" <mayor_of_atlantis@...> wrote:

                              > Just took delivery of a 2019 Manual Mill and a Power Feed Retrofit kit for my lathe. I will be using the "machine away the rack channel" method of attaching the power feed kit to my exisiting lathe.
                              >
                              > Any suggestions on how to level/clamp the lathe bed to the mill to machine away the rack channel and any suggestions for which type of cutter to use?

                            • dethrow2
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 30, 2013
                                hello can you post a link to your photo album, there are quite a few photos out there thanks james

                                Message 15 of 19 , Jul 31, 2013
                                  Thank you Edmund,

                                  Your posted pictures clearly showed me what you have previously explained. Since I am rather new to precision machining I have limited packing and clamping facility. A lot of what I'll be doing initially as I better my skills and experience using these precision machines is making appropriate fixing angles, parallels, studs, clamp bars etc.. Along with this I am trying to source readily available local raw materials (that is my $10 way of saying "dumpster diving" for usable scrap!)

                                  For the time being I'll be "McGivering" and experimenting whenever I can and I really appreciate all of the feedback.

                                  --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Edmund" <holmes_ca_2000@...> wrote:

                                  > Anon,
                                  >
                                  > if you have some straight steel stock or parallels to build the bed high enough and an angle plate/plates large enough just rest the edge of the dovetail edge on the parallels and just eye it parallel with the mill table and clamp to the angle plate or vice, the operation is just to remove the extruded part it doesn't have to be completely removed it just needs to have clearance for the leadscrew nut
                                  >
                                  > I have posted some pictures Edmunds powerfeed
                                  >

                                  > ...........Edmund........
                                  >

                                  > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "mayor_of_atlantis" <mayor_of_atlantis@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Just took delivery of a 2019 Manual Mill and a Power Feed Retrofit kit for my lathe. I will be using the "machine away the rack channel" method of attaching the power feed kit to my exisiting lathe.
                                  > >
                                  > > Any suggestions on how to level/clamp the lathe bed to the mill to machine away the rack channel and any suggestions for which type of cutter to use?

                                • ED MAISEY
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Jul 31, 2013
                                    Anon,

                                        seeing as you have limited tooling, perhaps an easier way would be for you to remove headstock, tailstock, and saddle , allowing you to place the top face of the bed down flat onto the mill table, but first if you can find some odd pieces of metal or parallels and place them into one of the t-slots at both ends of the table and perhaps use feeler gauges to make them a good fit make sure they stick up above the mill table surface, that will act as a location to push your lathe edge against which will automatically ensure the lathe bed is parallel with your X axis , then perhaps you will be able to side mill the extrusion, I would place a thin sheet of fresh clean writing paper to protect between both surfaces, be over cautious on the clamping you wouldn't want it to move while machining, I say this because its an unknown the amount or type of tooling you have for this particular operation, good luck, slow but sure is the word,

                                    ........Edmund.........

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 1, 2013
                                      Hello Edmond and Jeff,

                                      I ended up successfully using a hybrid of both of your suggestions.

                                      Ed I tried to clamp the lathe bed upside down to permit side milling. There is a small flare along the bottom of the aluminum bed extrusion that ended up in the way of the tooling I had on hand so it didn't work. I did however use paper to protect the mill table surface because I put the lathe bed directly on the mill table.

                                      Jeff I decided to mill the bed on it's side but without a wooden packing block. The extrusion itself fit nicely on the mill table once I removed the factory installed mounting foot on the left side of the lathe bed with the steel dovetail top registered on the outside back of the mill table and the extrusion flare fitting conveniently into a table slot.

                                      I managed to get the rack channel extrusion down to just a couple of thou and then sanded the mill marks away only for visual reasons. Even with the 2019ER extended table I had to remount/reclamp the lathe bed to get at the whole rack channel.

                                      I posted more pictures in the Photo Album if you are interested in seeing how the whole process worked. The X-axis on the 2019ER is quite long and the pictures reveal a nice convenience I figured out to speed up the table return after doing a milling stoke.

                                      When I get the retrofit kit totally installed I post the end result.

                                      Your advice and experience are greatly appreciated.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 1, 2013
                                        Good point!

                                        Sorry I am new to this type of communication so here goes...

                                        Powerfeed Retrofit for Lathe Photo Album
                                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/photos/album/1642636517/pic/lis\
                                        t>

                                        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "dethrow2" wrote:

                                        > hello can you post a link to your photo album, there are quite a few
                                        photos out there thanks james
                                        > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "mayor_of_atlantis"
                                        mayor_of_atlantis@ wrote:

                                        > > Thanks Jeff,
                                        > >
                                        > > I started a new Photo Album on this user group to try and share the
                                        timeline, trials and tribulations of my journey into making my lathe
                                        power feed. The Photo Album is called "Powerfeed Retrofit for Lathe."
                                        The first two photos are simply my existing machine/motor/stand setup
                                        (with most accessories removed). As I progress I'll update the album
                                        with the intent to seek advice and suggestions from the fellow users of
                                        this forum.

                                        > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Birt" wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Don't depend on the accuracy of the wooden block to keep the lathe
                                        base
                                        > > > true. After fixing the base into position you'll need to use an
                                        indicator,
                                        > > > or even a feeler gauge under the bit and measure the lathe base in
                                        several
                                        > > > locations to check for it being level. Shim as needed.
                                        > > >

                                        > > > I used the provided pulley and rubber band. Doing so keeps the
                                        rate of
                                        > > > travel in proportion to the rotation rate of the stock, just like
                                        a big
                                        > > > lathe does.
                                        > > >

                                        > > > Jeff Birt
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Soigeneris.com

                                      • mayor_of_atlantis
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Aug 1, 2013
                                          Link to my Powerfeed Retrofit for Lathe Photo Album