Re: [taigtools] Re: T-Slot

  • Steve Blackmore
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 28 1:29 AM
      On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 23:32:27 -0000, you wrote:

      >I'm going to be cutting aluminum. The slot is .300" deep, and .400 wide at the top. The bottom of the T is supposed to be .641 wide and .152 deep, although I have some flexibility on both dimensions. That means that I need the T-slot cutter to have a cutting radius of .120+ more than the radius of the neck of the T-Cutter and a depth of cut of .152. One of the T-slot cutters at the Harvey site seem to be workable (#43862), although it would take three passes along the slot to make the undercut deep enough. However, I'm new at both machining and the Taig,so I may have miscalculated. I also may be biting off more than the Taig can chew.

      You would need to run flood coolant to stop the tool clogging. It's not
      going to be an easy job and as you say may be beyond a Taig.

      Can you not make the T slot in parts? Cut a channel .641 wide by .152
      deep then fix two .3 thick pieces on top with a .4 wide gap between
      them? Much easier and no special cutters required.

      Steve Blackmore