Best way to clamp "large" stock

  • DennisF MacIntyre
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 23, 2013
      Dear Max & Group;-

         Can you bolt from below by drilling and threading the part?

        Can you drill and tap into the side and then drill through what you threaded into the sides in order to secure the part. It may be an idea if you go with the second idea to put a block under the outside of what you threaded into the side so as not to distort the part.

      keep smiling

      dennis mac

    • Bill M
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 23, 2013
        Max
        Have you tried Deldrin?  It is a plastic-like material used for bearings.  It can be worked with common lathe tools, drilled, threaded, faced,turned, etc., etc.  I have only used it in rods for new cross slide handles but it comes in sheets and blocks, too.  And, in black or white!!!  It machines sooooo quietly!  Until your dream of a shop comes true...

        Bill

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 23, 2013
          Forgot to mention, deldrin makes beautiful long threads of swarf that are easy to clean up.

          Bill