Re: [taigtools] Best way to clamp "large" stock

  • Paul J. Ste. Marie
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 14, 2013
      On 7/14/2013 4:28 PM, Max Cato wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > How do you like to clamp "large" stock to the Taig? For instance, say
      > I wanted to work on a piece of low carbon steel that was 6" x 6" x 1"
      > (with the 6x6 area being the main working surface). How would you go
      > about clamping this to the machine?
      >
      > Should the edges be simply clamped down, and then only a portion of
      > the surface is roughed and then milled on? I would assume that you
      > would just saw off the excess area where the clamps where after you
      > are finished?

      I have some photos up here:
      of making some clamps

      What I'll most commonly do is use multiple clamps and move them around,
      one at a time, to get them out of the way, for example:

      You can also use low profile clamps or toolamker's clamps, although the
      latter are rather tricky to set up. This is a photo of using the
      toolmaker's clamps:
    • Jeffrey Birt
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 15, 2013
        You could use a show clamp as already mentioned, or you could make a 'table
        vise' (see below), or cut a slot around the sides of the stock and use an
        'L' clamp.

        A 'table vise' can be handy. I made one using three lengths of 1"x1"
        aluminum stock about 4" long. All three pieces are drilled/counter-bored to
        accept some 10-32 socket head screws to hold them to the table aligned along
        the Y axis. One of the pieces is drilled tapped from the side to fit a large
        bolt. One of the pieces is bolted down on the left hand side of the table
        (fixed), the piece that is cross drilled is toward the right (fixed) and the
        third piece between them (moveable) like this:

        | * | |

        | * | |-@

        | * | |

        '|' is the 1"x1" aluminum stock

        '*' is the part

        '-@' is the screw

        When you tighten the screw the middle piece is pushed against the stock and
        claps it in place like a vise. This makes for a very handy, low profile
        clamp.

        Jeff Birt

        Soigeneris.com

        How do you like to clamp "large" stock to the Taig? For instance, say I
        wanted to work on a piece of low carbon steel that was 6" x 6" x 1" (with
        the 6x6 area being the main working surface). How would you go about
        clamping this to the machine?

        Should the edges be simply clamped down, and then only a portion of the
        surface is roughed and then milled on? I would assume that you would just
        saw off the excess area where the clamps where after you are finished?

        Thanks!

        -Max

      • Paul J. Ste. Marie
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 15, 2013
          On 7/14/2013 4:51 PM, Max Cato wrote:
          > I've heard of toe clamps; is that what you mean by a low profile
          > clamp? Do you have any recommended suppliers for the finger clamps?

          That's one sort. Mitee-bites are another: essentially a hex head with
          an eccentric screw to hold them down. On the Taig, you'll find that
          most commercial clamps are too big and that you'll have to make your
          own, although you can get Mitee-bites in 10-32 that will work on the Taig.

          If you head over to Online Metals and get some 1/2" square and some
          1/4"x1" 1018 steel bar, you'll have the perfect raw material for making
          t-nuts and various sorts of clamps.

          Here's a link for the mitee-bites:

          http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=16719336&PMAKA=619-1580

          You'll need a cleat of some sort to work with those.
        • chuck
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 15, 2013
            clever use of the character set Jeff :- )

            You could use a show clamp as already mentioned, or you could make a 'table
            vise' (see below), or cut a slot around the sides of the stock and use an
            'L' clamp.

            A 'table vise' can be handy. I made one using three lengths of 1"x1"
            aluminum stock about 4" long. All three pieces are drilled/counter-bored to
            accept some 10-32 socket head screws to hold them to the table aligned along
            the Y axis. One of the pieces is drilled tapped from the side to fit a large
            bolt. One of the pieces is bolted down on the left hand side of the table
            (fixed), the piece that is cross drilled is toward the right (fixed) and the
            third piece between them (moveable) like this:

            | * | |

            | * | |-@

            | * | |

            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 15, 2013
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pmFsAxRvWI

              --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Max Cato <maxsthekat@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > How do you like to clamp "large" stock to the Taig? For instance, say I wanted to work on a piece of low carbon steel that was 6" x 6" x 1" (with the 6x6 area being the main working surface). How would you go about clamping this to the machine?
              >
              > Should the edges be simply clamped down, and then only a portion of the surface is roughed and then milled on? I would assume that you would just saw off the excess area where the clamps where after you are finished?
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > -Max

            • Bill M
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 15, 2013
                Good stuff, Paul.  I always learn something from your work.  Your narrative with your pictures inspires me to do the same.  Thanks for taking the time to record your efforts and for posting.

                Bill

                ________________________________
                > How do you like to clamp "large" stock to the Taig? For instance, say
                > I wanted to work on a piece of low carbon steel that was 6" x 6" x 1"
                > (with the 6x6 area being the main working surface). How would you go
                > about clamping this to the machine?
                >
                > Should the edges be simply clamped down, and then only a portion of
                > the surface is roughed and then milled on? I would assume that you
                > would just saw off the excess area where the clamps where after you
                > are finished?

                I have some photos up here:
                of making some clamps

                What I'll most commonly do is use multiple clamps and move them around,
                one at a time, to get them out of the way, for example:

                You can also use low profile clamps or toolamker's clamps, although the
                latter are rather tricky to set up.  This is a photo of using the
                toolmaker's clamps:

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 17, 2013
                  Max,
                  If it is a two piece mold, I would suggest using clamps (such as A2Z Tee slot clamps) to hold the piece down, onto a piece of sacrificial surface.  Drill 2 or more precise holes in the corners of both pieces.  Use the holes to hold down the part for milling, and use them for dowel pin alignment (to keep the mold parts accurate).

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 22, 2013
                    Thanks to everyone who replied to my original-- lots of great ideas! :)

                    Will, I have a couple of those, and yep, it's for a small 2-part mold. My concern with clamping on top of the part is that I have to somehow face the part first, which I won't be able to do if I have clamps in the way. Or, do you move the clamps around after you've faced a portion of the piece? Otherwise, I could see using a bigger piece of stock than is necessary, facing the portion you can get to without the clamps getting in the way, and then sawing off the excess which is not dimensionally accurate. How do you approach facing in this situation?

                    Otherwise, I think I might pick up a couple of the mitee bite clamps, which look great for this application!

                    Thanks!

                    -Max

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 22, 2013
                      Max, it may sound funny (but hopefully not disrespectful), but I live for these challenges.  I spend the whole day (and night) with this stuff churning around in my head.  I get in the truck at work, and somehow, I find myself in the driveway at home (with no cognition of the 4.5 mile drive).
                      Without knowing your project, I would clamp it at the edges, drill the index holes, and surface the area between the clamps (both halves).  Then I would use the index holes to hold it down, while I surfaced the "outside".

                      Main thing is to have fun with all stages of the project -- Design, milling strategy decisions, execution, testing, etc...

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 22, 2013
                        Disrespectful? Are ya kiddin' me?! I'd love to have a beer with you and pick your brain over shop talk :) I spend a lot more time dreaming of machine shop time than I actually get to do it, because I live in an apartment. (Although, I have taken classes on manual milling, welding, and some fabricating...) I spend most of my Taig time milling wax, because steel + apartment + carpet = angry landlords and neighbors, but soon I will have a garage to play around in. So, I'm starting to plan out my ultimate goals-- using the Taig to create injection molds for making plastic military miniatures.

                        I agree 100% that it's important to have fun with the project. Heck, if I could get a job that paid decently as a machinist, I'd gladly quit my day job and go play with big machines all day :)

                        -Max

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 22, 2013
                          Will,

                          You forgot to mention the one that most applies to me: The shower.

                          So many problems have been solved in the shower. The mind relaxes and sometimes a good solution pops up out of nowhere.

                          Bertho

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 22, 2013
                            One thing I might add is that you can use multiple clamping solutions for one project. You could use some toe clamps to hold the stock for surfacing and then use toggle clamps to hold it more securely from the top for machining the mold cavity.

                            I also like to make ‘disposable’ clamps out of aluminum angle. I use them when clearance is tight and I might accidently graze a clamp with a tool. They are cheap so if one gets ruined it is not a big deal.

                            Jeff Birt

                            Soigeneris.com

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 22, 2013
                              Max/JeffreyIf I might intrude in this post,

                                    can you not drill a couple of holes in the sides at each end for screws or dowels to clamp the block, also if I were doing the job I would also place the block on thin parallels and then clamp gradually like tires on car axles, it would all depend on the condition of the block surface, has any member mentioned the accuracy of your mill in squareness of your Z axis to your X and Y, or the type of cutter you are going to use, if you use a fly cutter your surface may wind up concaved (not flat anyway), again if I were doing the job I would use a endmill, for what its worth,

                              Another member mentioned milling a shallow slot  in the ends, a good idea if you could do that, the thing is you really don't want a block of any size moving around as you are taking a cut, so don't make it a flimsy setup,

                              Did you send any photos of what you are intending to accomplish I haven't been following the thread,

                              ........Edmund.........

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 23, 2013
                                What ever you do, don't go near pewter.
                                Plastic isn't fun after you cast pewter.

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 23, 2013
                                  Dear Max & Group;-

                                     Can you bolt from below by drilling and threading the part?

                                    Can you drill and tap into the side and then drill through what you threaded into the sides in order to secure the part. It may be an idea if you go with the second idea to put a block under the outside of what you threaded into the side so as not to distort the part.

                                  keep smiling

                                  dennis mac

                                • Bill M
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 23, 2013
                                    Max
                                    Have you tried Deldrin?  It is a plastic-like material used for bearings.  It can be worked with common lathe tools, drilled, threaded, faced,turned, etc., etc.  I have only used it in rods for new cross slide handles but it comes in sheets and blocks, too.  And, in black or white!!!  It machines sooooo quietly!  Until your dream of a shop comes true...

                                    Bill

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 23, 2013
                                      Forgot to mention, deldrin makes beautiful long threads of swarf that are easy to clean up.

                                      Bill