Re: [taigtools] Re: Finger Dimple for a radio tuning knob

  • Caparo
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 13 1:36 AM
      On Saturday 13 July 2013 02:12:49 Yi Yao wrote:
      > I've tried that too. I gave up after the aluminum totally clogged up
      > the abrasive stone.
      Hi,
      if I have to use agrinding stone on any soft material , I pre-clog the stone
      with soap (hard bar used for clothes washing or industrial bar soap for
      mechanics i find are best. Ladies hand soap tends to be too soft for the
      job but can be used if re-application is not a problem )

      --
      TTFN
      Caparo.
      • ED MAISEY
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 13 12:11 PM
          I imagine Tallow would work very well also,

          ........Edmund.........

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 14 7:37 AM
            Thanks for all the responses. I will give the recommendations a try.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 14 9:48 AM
              To take tool marks of a dimple like that which has already been cut, I've
              sometimes used a wooden ball that fits the hole with a stick glued into one
              side, and an abrasive paste on the drill press... Valve grinding paste is
              a pretty good way to start polishing. You can get sub micron diamond
              pastes online that will let you polish up a hemispherical reflector for
              optical work if you want to put in the effort. Use a fresh tool and clean
              thoroughly every time you go to a finer grit.

            • phoglite
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 29 9:50 AM
                If you didn't need the dimple to be counter sunk, you could use a radius turner (https://desktoplathes.com/1210). The tool can be reversed in the holder and made to sweep a hemispherical arc. The only catch is that it will be a fairly large radius. I've tested this method on a 3/4" piece of aluminum scrap and it makes a nice smooth spherical depression. Good luck!

                --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "kiheiman_98" <kiheiman@...> wrote:

                > I would like to add a finger dimple to a ham radio tuning knob. This would allow one to quickly spin the knob across the frequencies on the radio by using their finger to engage the dimple. I can machine a piece of 5/8" OD aluminum stock without any problem and I can drill the 1/2" hole for the dimple. I am not sure how I could get a nice "cup" like finish inside the hole. Kind of the reverse of rounding off the end of a piece of stock. Anyone have any ideas?

              • ED MAISEY
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 29 2:36 PM
                  A piece of drill rod, machine a radius, machine as a d-bit, and heat treat, stone the cutting edge,

                  you could use a ball endmill in a drill press if you don't have milling capabilities.

                  If you didn't need the dimple to be counter sunk, you could use a radius turner (https://desktoplathes.com/1210). The tool can be reversed in the holder and made to sweep a hemispherical arc. The only catch is that it will be a fairly large radius. I've tested this method on a 3/4" piece of aluminum scrap and it makes a nice smooth spherical depression. Good luck!

                  --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "kiheiman_98" <kiheiman@...> wrote:

                  > I would like to add a finger dimple to a ham radio tuning knob. This would allow one to quickly spin the knob across the frequencies on the radio by using their finger to engage the dimple. I can machine a piece of 5/8" OD aluminum stock without any problem and I can drill the 1/2" hole for the dimple. I am not sure how I could get a nice "cup" like finish inside the hole. Kind of the reverse of rounding off the end of a piece of stock. Anyone have any ideas?

                • chuck
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 29 3:24 PM