Re: [taigtools] CNC leadscrew bearings query

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2013
      Hi Alex -

      The standard bearings are just fine for CNC use; I did not change them for
      my conversion. Both of the CNC conversion articles I wrote are on the
      website - which article is it that you couldn't find? I did a bit of a
      writeup when I converted my mill from dovetail to box ways on the Z axis,
      but I don't think there is much (anything?) in there that is particularly
      relevant to CNC...

      On 1 July 2013 10:47, Alexander Newman <anewman@...> wrote:

      > Hi there, especially to Mr Jeffree,
      >
      > I am about to start the CNC conversion of my fully manual TAIG
      > mill at long last, having got *most* of the construction bugs
      > ironed out of my tightly integrated (and physically way too
      > small) control-box.
      >
      > I've just installed the CNC leadscrew nuts on X-, Y- and Z-axes,
      > but before I go any further with reinstalling the two saddles
      > and their various axes back on the mill and adding the mounting
      > tubes and motors, I thought that I had better check that the
      > existing (stock) manual leadscrew bearings are going to be up to
      > scratch. I'd rather replace them now than have to dismantle the
      > wee beastie again if I don't have to!
      >
      > I've read through Mr Jeffree's two pages on his TAIG mill
      > conversion, but can't see any reference to his changing the
      > bearings or not (although my not finding things doesn't mean
      > much, since I'm very good at not finding things). I also don't
      > have the first MEW article of his where he describes certain
      > changes and adjustments to the mill.
      >
      > The leadscrews will be driven by Vexta PK268-01A 240 oz/in, 0.71
      > A/phase, 12 V, 56 mH inductance (bipolar winding) motors driven
      > by Gecko 203V drives (a fourth axis drive is included and will
      > drive a Jeffree-designed rotary unit using a modified TAIG
      > headstock). A PMDX-135-8020 power board and toroid (for the
      > drives), a Campbell Designs/SoundLogic "Combo" BoB, an Intel
      > D525MW mobo with Ubuntu 10.04/LinuxCNC 2.5.x on an Intel SSD and
      > a 12.1 " touchscreen complete the package. Home - and/or limit -
      > switches are OPB941W open collector buffered output slotted
      > optical switches from OPTEK Technology Inc, with light-weight
      > aluminium extrusion choppers.
      >
      > Yours sincerely,
      > Alex Newman.

    • alx1n
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2013
        Hello Tony,

        Many thanks for that :). Whew! I found - and read - both articles: it was references to the bearings, original or otherwise, in those two pages, that I couldn't find. But now I know for sure, and I don't have to go mucking about with removing the current ones and replacing them. Great articles, and the deciding factor in me getting the manual mill to learn milling on, then using your articles to effect the CNC conversion.

        I may do what you did with the dials and modify the leadscrews, but that decision may in fact boil down to whether I eventually replace the single-shaft Vexta motors with a double-shaft variety that I can stick some sort of handle or knob on. I'll have to weigh that up against accurately cutting a new key way and re-threading the three leadscrews. And the fact that I also have an MPG2 pendant in my box o'tricks :).

        Cheers,

        On 1 July 2013 10:47, Alexander Newman wrote:

        > Hi there, especially to Mr Jeffree,
        >
        > I am about to start the CNC conversion of my fully manual TAIG
        > mill at long last, having got *most* of the construction bugs
        > ironed out of my tightly integrated (and physically way too
        > small) control-box.
        >
        > I've just installed the CNC leadscrew nuts on X-, Y- and Z-axes,
        > but before I go any further with reinstalling the two saddles
        > and their various axes back on the mill and adding the mounting
        > tubes and motors, I thought that I had better check that the
        > existing (stock) manual leadscrew bearings are going to be up to
        > scratch. I'd rather replace them now than have to dismantle the
        > wee beastie again if I don't have to!
        >
        > I've read through Mr Jeffree's two pages on his TAIG mill
        > conversion, but can't see any reference to his changing the
        > bearings or not (although my not finding things doesn't mean
        > much, since I'm very good at not finding things). I also don't
        > have the first MEW article of his where he describes certain
        > changes and adjustments to the mill.
        >
        > The leadscrews will be driven by Vexta PK268-01A 240 oz/in, 0.71
        > A/phase, 12 V, 56 mH inductance (bipolar winding) motors driven
        > by Gecko 203V drives (a fourth axis drive is included and will
        > drive a Jeffree-designed rotary unit using a modified TAIG
        > headstock). A PMDX-135-8020 power board and toroid (for the
        > drives), a Campbell Designs/SoundLogic "Combo" BoB, an Intel
        > D525MW mobo with Ubuntu 1004/LinuxCNC 2.5.x on an Intel SSD and
        > a 12.1 " touchscreen complete the package. Home - and/or limit -
        > switches are OPB941W open collector buffered output slotted
        > optical switches from OPTEK Technology Inc, with light-weight
        > aluminium extrusion choppers.
        >
        > Yours sincerely,
        > Alex Newman.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        Your email settings:
        Individual Email | Traditional

        To change settings online go to:
        (Yahoo! ID required)

        To change settings via email:
        taigtools-digest@yahoogroups.com
        taigtools-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • alx1n
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2013
          Hi Again Tony,

          Actually, what I don't have is the article regarding the Z-axis box-ways conversion, but that isn't a problem since the mill I have came with the new Z-axis (and, as you say the article doesn't have any CNC stuff in it).

        • Paul J. Ste. Marie
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2013
            On 7/1/2013 2:47 AM, Alexander Newman wrote:
            > 12.1 " touchscreen

            What touchscreen are you using? I have a trackpad which I don't like at
            all, and trackballs seem to have died.
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2013
              On 1 July 2013 10:47, Alexander Newman <anewman@...> wrote:

              > (a fourth axis drive is included and will
              > drive a Jeffree-designed rotary unit using a modified TAIG
              > headstock)

              ​Alex -

              The dividing head that I built around the Taig headstock was intended for
              use on a Taig lathe, to get the spindle at the same height as the lathe
              headstock. If you don't have that constraint, then there is some virtue in
              leaving the headstock un-modified, i.e., don't chop it's legs off, and
              using a length of Aluminium dovetail (like the piece that the mill
              headstock is mounted on) to mount it to the mill table. ​That way, if the
              dovetail material is long enough, you can easily mount a Taig lathe
              tailstock on the dovetail bed so you can give tailstock support to long
              items. I believe Taig sell the dovetailed Aluminium beds for making pool
              cue lathes & such...

            • Alexander Newman
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2013
                Hi Paul,

                That's a good question. It's essentially an almost generic
                Chinese-made device made up from a number of widely-available
                components and a Japanese-made Toshiba LCD screen. It runs on 12
                V and has an inverter inside the monitor casing (I know this
                because I pulled the thing to bits when drastically shortening
                the VGA cable - not a task for the fain-hearted, as I found out
                for myself). It rejoiced under the name of "YT121 12.1" LCD
                Touchscreen Monitor", and was *relatively* cheap (at least I
                thought so) at AU$260.00 a year ago.

                I acquired it from <http://www.mini-box.com.au> - that version
                was superceded not long after I bought it. Its replacement can
                be found at <http://www.mini-box.com> in the US, too. The sites
                are the shop-fronts for the miraculous little fan-less CPU power
                supplies (one of which I've got in my over-stuffed, overcrowded
                little CNC electronics enclosure - with one 90 mm fan inside the
                box, over the CPU/RAM/PSU, and two (filtered) 120 mm fans
                blowing into the case so that the internal environment of the
                case is under a quite a degree of positive pressure when powered on).

                They (mini-box) also sell smaller LCDs (and lots of other
                stuff!) too, 10.4 " & 7 ". The monitor came with its own 12 V PS
                black-box, and a CD of drivers. It worked out-of-the-box with a
                OS X/Mac G5/MacBook tests, and sort of worked under Linux -
                while the Y-axis was fine, the X-axis was reversed. This is a
                known fault under Linux and there is a work-around, which I've
                so far not been able to make stick yet (through want of trying).
                I can't remember where I found the hack but it was found via
                either an internet search or a search within the Ubuntu
                "universe" - or both. It may be that newer versions of the
                monitor have updated drivers - or maybe not! I wouldn't put any
                money on that outcome. Once I've found exactly what
                startup/system file to stick the hack in, I will be able to use
                LinuxCNC's "Touchy" (touchscreen) interface - the intended
                outcome :).

                I hope that helps a bit.

                Cheers,
                Alex.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1, 2013
                  Hi Tony,

                  Ah...oh well. I've already chopped that headstock sell up and
                  installed and initial-machined the aluminium baseplate. I have
                  another spare shell - a really old one, that came with my
                  original headstock - that I can requisition, however (the
                  spindle on that original on is stuffed - don't ask!).

                  I'll have a look on Mr Carter's website and see how much he
                  charges for a dovetail plate - or I could mill my own once I've
                  got the mill back up and running. The first few jobs that the
                  mill will be doing (including finishing the fourth axis ;) will
                  be using three axes only, so the lack of the fourth axis until
                  then is not a drama.

                  I think I've sent you the link ot my CNC FLickr set, but I'll
                  run the risk of sending it to you again. You can have a good
                  laugh at Idiot's conniptions:

                  <http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex1n/sets/72157625170643343/>

                  More recent snaps are in my photostream and are probably more
                  easily accessible:

                  <http://www.flickr.com/alex1n>.

                  Cheers,
                  Alex.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 2, 2013
                    Hi Alex

                    Well, if you find a need to run the dividing head with tailstock support,
                    you could always make up a spacer block (using one of the lathe raiser
                    blocks, maybe) to lift it back up to the height of the tailstock, so
                    nothing wasted really.

                    On Jul 2, 2013 3:50 AM, "Alexander Newman" <anewman@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Tony,
                    >
                    > Ah...oh well. I've already chopped that headstock sell up and
                    > installed and initial-machined the aluminium baseplate. I have
                    > another spare shell - a really old one, that came with my
                    > original headstock - that I can requisition, however (the
                    > spindle on that original on is stuffed - don't ask!).
                    >
                    > I'll have a look on Mr Carter's website and see how much he
                    > charges for a dovetail plate - or I could mill my own once I've
                    > got the mill back up and running. The first few jobs that the
                    > mill will be doing (including finishing the fourth axis ;) will
                    > be using three axes only, so the lack of the fourth axis until
                    > then is not a drama.
                    >
                    > I think I've sent you the link ot my CNC FLickr set, but I'll
                    > run the risk of sending it to you again. You can have a good
                    > laugh at Idiot's conniptions:
                    >
                    > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex1n/sets/72157625170643343/>
                    >
                    > More recent snaps are in my photostream and are probably more
                    > easily accessible:
                    >
                    > <http://www.flickr.com/alex1n>.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Alex.
                    >
                    > On 1/7/13 at 1:52 AM, tony@... (Tony Jeffree) wrote:
                    >
                    > >On 1 July 2013 10:47, Alexander Newman <anewman@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > >>(a fourth axis drive is included and will
                    > >>drive a Jeffree-designed rotary unit using a modified TAIG
                    > >>headstock)
                    > >>

                    > >​Alex -
                    > >
                    > >The dividing head that I built around the Taig headstock was intended for
                    > >use on a Taig lathe, to get the spindle at the same height as the lathe
                    > >headstock. If you don't have that constraint, then there is some virtue in
                    > >leaving the headstock un-modified, i.e., don't chop it's legs off, and
                    > >using a length of Aluminium dovetail (like the piece that the mill
                    > >headstock is mounted on) to mount it to the mill table. ​That way, if the
                    > >dovetail material is long enough, you can easily mount a Taig lathe
                    > >tailstock on the dovetail bed so you can give tailstock support to long
                    > >items. I believe Taig sell the dovetailed Aluminium beds for making pool
                    > >cue lathes & such...
                    > >
                    > >Regards,
                    > >Tony

                  • Alexander Newman
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 2, 2013
                      Hi Tony,

                      Neat idea :). I in fact have a riser set lying idle!

                      Cheers,
                      Alex.

                    • Paul J. Ste. Marie
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 2, 2013
                        On 7/1/2013 7:04 PM, Alexander Newman wrote:
                        > I acquired it from <http://www.mini-box.com.au> - that version
                        > was superceded not long after I bought it. Its replacement can
                        > be found at <http://www.mini-box.com> in the US, too. The sites

                        Heh. That's where I got my control computer from. Didn't think to look
                        for touchscreens there--mostly I've been trolling eBay for used ELO's.