CNC leadscrew bearings query

  • Alexander Newman
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1 2:47 AM
      Hi there, especially to Mr Jeffree,

      I am about to start the CNC conversion of my fully manual TAIG
      mill at long last, having got *most* of the construction bugs
      ironed out of my tightly integrated (and physically way too
      small) control-box.

      I've just installed the CNC leadscrew nuts on X-, Y- and Z-axes,
      but before I go any further with reinstalling the two saddles
      and their various axes back on the mill and adding the mounting
      tubes and motors, I thought that I had better check that the
      existing (stock) manual leadscrew bearings are going to be up to
      scratch. I'd rather replace them now than have to dismantle the
      wee beastie again if I don't have to!

      I've read through Mr Jeffree's two pages on his TAIG mill
      conversion, but can't see any reference to his changing the
      bearings or not (although my not finding things doesn't mean
      much, since I'm very good at not finding things). I also don't
      have the first MEW article of his where he describes certain
      changes and adjustments to the mill.

      The leadscrews will be driven by Vexta PK268-01A 240 oz/in, 0.71
      A/phase, 12 V, 56 mH inductance (bipolar winding) motors driven
      by Gecko 203V drives (a fourth axis drive is included and will
      drive a Jeffree-designed rotary unit using a modified TAIG
      headstock). A PMDX-135-8020 power board and toroid (for the
      drives), a Campbell Designs/SoundLogic "Combo" BoB, an Intel
      D525MW mobo with Ubuntu 10.04/LinuxCNC 2.5.x on an Intel SSD and
      a 12.1 " touchscreen complete the package. Home - and/or limit -
      switches are OPB941W open collector buffered output slotted
      optical switches from OPTEK Technology Inc, with light-weight
      aluminium extrusion choppers.

      Yours sincerely,
      Alex Newman.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1 3:06 AM
        Hi Alex -

        The standard bearings are just fine for CNC use; I did not change them for
        my conversion. Both of the CNC conversion articles I wrote are on the
        website - which article is it that you couldn't find? I did a bit of a
        writeup when I converted my mill from dovetail to box ways on the Z axis,
        but I don't think there is much (anything?) in there that is particularly
        relevant to CNC...

        On 1 July 2013 10:47, Alexander Newman <anewman@...> wrote:

        > Hi there, especially to Mr Jeffree,
        >
        > I am about to start the CNC conversion of my fully manual TAIG
        > mill at long last, having got *most* of the construction bugs
        > ironed out of my tightly integrated (and physically way too
        > small) control-box.
        >
        > I've just installed the CNC leadscrew nuts on X-, Y- and Z-axes,
        > but before I go any further with reinstalling the two saddles
        > and their various axes back on the mill and adding the mounting
        > tubes and motors, I thought that I had better check that the
        > existing (stock) manual leadscrew bearings are going to be up to
        > scratch. I'd rather replace them now than have to dismantle the
        > wee beastie again if I don't have to!
        >
        > I've read through Mr Jeffree's two pages on his TAIG mill
        > conversion, but can't see any reference to his changing the
        > bearings or not (although my not finding things doesn't mean
        > much, since I'm very good at not finding things). I also don't
        > have the first MEW article of his where he describes certain
        > changes and adjustments to the mill.
        >
        > The leadscrews will be driven by Vexta PK268-01A 240 oz/in, 0.71
        > A/phase, 12 V, 56 mH inductance (bipolar winding) motors driven
        > by Gecko 203V drives (a fourth axis drive is included and will
        > drive a Jeffree-designed rotary unit using a modified TAIG
        > headstock). A PMDX-135-8020 power board and toroid (for the
        > drives), a Campbell Designs/SoundLogic "Combo" BoB, an Intel
        > D525MW mobo with Ubuntu 10.04/LinuxCNC 2.5.x on an Intel SSD and
        > a 12.1 " touchscreen complete the package. Home - and/or limit -
        > switches are OPB941W open collector buffered output slotted
        > optical switches from OPTEK Technology Inc, with light-weight
        > aluminium extrusion choppers.
        >
        > Yours sincerely,
        > Alex Newman.

      • alx1n
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1 5:25 AM
          Hello Tony,

          Many thanks for that :). Whew! I found - and read - both articles: it was references to the bearings, original or otherwise, in those two pages, that I couldn't find. But now I know for sure, and I don't have to go mucking about with removing the current ones and replacing them. Great articles, and the deciding factor in me getting the manual mill to learn milling on, then using your articles to effect the CNC conversion.

          I may do what you did with the dials and modify the leadscrews, but that decision may in fact boil down to whether I eventually replace the single-shaft Vexta motors with a double-shaft variety that I can stick some sort of handle or knob on. I'll have to weigh that up against accurately cutting a new key way and re-threading the three leadscrews. And the fact that I also have an MPG2 pendant in my box o'tricks :).

          Cheers,

          On 1 July 2013 10:47, Alexander Newman wrote:

          > Hi there, especially to Mr Jeffree,
          >
          > I am about to start the CNC conversion of my fully manual TAIG
          > mill at long last, having got *most* of the construction bugs
          > ironed out of my tightly integrated (and physically way too
          > small) control-box.
          >
          > I've just installed the CNC leadscrew nuts on X-, Y- and Z-axes,
          > but before I go any further with reinstalling the two saddles
          > and their various axes back on the mill and adding the mounting
          > tubes and motors, I thought that I had better check that the
          > existing (stock) manual leadscrew bearings are going to be up to
          > scratch. I'd rather replace them now than have to dismantle the
          > wee beastie again if I don't have to!
          >
          > I've read through Mr Jeffree's two pages on his TAIG mill
          > conversion, but can't see any reference to his changing the
          > bearings or not (although my not finding things doesn't mean
          > much, since I'm very good at not finding things). I also don't
          > have the first MEW article of his where he describes certain
          > changes and adjustments to the mill.
          >
          > The leadscrews will be driven by Vexta PK268-01A 240 oz/in, 0.71
          > A/phase, 12 V, 56 mH inductance (bipolar winding) motors driven
          > by Gecko 203V drives (a fourth axis drive is included and will
          > drive a Jeffree-designed rotary unit using a modified TAIG
          > headstock). A PMDX-135-8020 power board and toroid (for the
          > drives), a Campbell Designs/SoundLogic "Combo" BoB, an Intel
          > D525MW mobo with Ubuntu 1004/LinuxCNC 2.5.x on an Intel SSD and
          > a 12.1 " touchscreen complete the package. Home - and/or limit -
          > switches are OPB941W open collector buffered output slotted
          > optical switches from OPTEK Technology Inc, with light-weight
          > aluminium extrusion choppers.
          >
          > Yours sincerely,
          > Alex Newman.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

          To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

          To change settings via email:
          taigtools-digest@yahoogroups.com
          taigtools-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • alx1n
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1 5:30 AM
            Hi Again Tony,

            Actually, what I don't have is the article regarding the Z-axis box-ways conversion, but that isn't a problem since the mill I have came with the new Z-axis (and, as you say the article doesn't have any CNC stuff in it).

          • Paul J. Ste. Marie
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1 8:05 AM
              On 7/1/2013 2:47 AM, Alexander Newman wrote:
              > 12.1 " touchscreen

              What touchscreen are you using? I have a trackpad which I don't like at
              all, and trackballs seem to have died.
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1 8:52 AM
                On 1 July 2013 10:47, Alexander Newman <anewman@...> wrote:

                > (a fourth axis drive is included and will
                > drive a Jeffree-designed rotary unit using a modified TAIG
                > headstock)

                ​Alex -

                The dividing head that I built around the Taig headstock was intended for
                use on a Taig lathe, to get the spindle at the same height as the lathe
                headstock. If you don't have that constraint, then there is some virtue in
                leaving the headstock un-modified, i.e., don't chop it's legs off, and
                using a length of Aluminium dovetail (like the piece that the mill
                headstock is mounted on) to mount it to the mill table. ​That way, if the
                dovetail material is long enough, you can easily mount a Taig lathe
                tailstock on the dovetail bed so you can give tailstock support to long
                items. I believe Taig sell the dovetailed Aluminium beds for making pool
                cue lathes & such...

              • Alexander Newman
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1 7:04 PM
                  Hi Paul,

                  That's a good question. It's essentially an almost generic
                  Chinese-made device made up from a number of widely-available
                  components and a Japanese-made Toshiba LCD screen. It runs on 12
                  V and has an inverter inside the monitor casing (I know this
                  because I pulled the thing to bits when drastically shortening
                  the VGA cable - not a task for the fain-hearted, as I found out
                  for myself). It rejoiced under the name of "YT121 12.1" LCD
                  Touchscreen Monitor", and was *relatively* cheap (at least I
                  thought so) at AU$260.00 a year ago.

                  I acquired it from <http://www.mini-box.com.au> - that version
                  was superceded not long after I bought it. Its replacement can
                  be found at <http://www.mini-box.com> in the US, too. The sites
                  are the shop-fronts for the miraculous little fan-less CPU power
                  supplies (one of which I've got in my over-stuffed, overcrowded
                  little CNC electronics enclosure - with one 90 mm fan inside the
                  box, over the CPU/RAM/PSU, and two (filtered) 120 mm fans
                  blowing into the case so that the internal environment of the
                  case is under a quite a degree of positive pressure when powered on).

                  They (mini-box) also sell smaller LCDs (and lots of other
                  stuff!) too, 10.4 " & 7 ". The monitor came with its own 12 V PS
                  black-box, and a CD of drivers. It worked out-of-the-box with a
                  OS X/Mac G5/MacBook tests, and sort of worked under Linux -
                  while the Y-axis was fine, the X-axis was reversed. This is a
                  known fault under Linux and there is a work-around, which I've
                  so far not been able to make stick yet (through want of trying).
                  I can't remember where I found the hack but it was found via
                  either an internet search or a search within the Ubuntu
                  "universe" - or both. It may be that newer versions of the
                  monitor have updated drivers - or maybe not! I wouldn't put any
                  money on that outcome. Once I've found exactly what
                  startup/system file to stick the hack in, I will be able to use
                  LinuxCNC's "Touchy" (touchscreen) interface - the intended
                  outcome :).

                  I hope that helps a bit.

                  Cheers,
                  Alex.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 1 7:50 PM
                    Hi Tony,

                    Ah...oh well. I've already chopped that headstock sell up and
                    installed and initial-machined the aluminium baseplate. I have
                    another spare shell - a really old one, that came with my
                    original headstock - that I can requisition, however (the
                    spindle on that original on is stuffed - don't ask!).

                    I'll have a look on Mr Carter's website and see how much he
                    charges for a dovetail plate - or I could mill my own once I've
                    got the mill back up and running. The first few jobs that the
                    mill will be doing (including finishing the fourth axis ;) will
                    be using three axes only, so the lack of the fourth axis until
                    then is not a drama.

                    I think I've sent you the link ot my CNC FLickr set, but I'll
                    run the risk of sending it to you again. You can have a good
                    laugh at Idiot's conniptions:

                    <http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex1n/sets/72157625170643343/>

                    More recent snaps are in my photostream and are probably more
                    easily accessible:

                    <http://www.flickr.com/alex1n>.

                    Cheers,
                    Alex.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 2 12:17 AM
                      Hi Alex

                      Well, if you find a need to run the dividing head with tailstock support,
                      you could always make up a spacer block (using one of the lathe raiser
                      blocks, maybe) to lift it back up to the height of the tailstock, so
                      nothing wasted really.

                      On Jul 2, 2013 3:50 AM, "Alexander Newman" <anewman@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Tony,
                      >
                      > Ah...oh well. I've already chopped that headstock sell up and
                      > installed and initial-machined the aluminium baseplate. I have
                      > another spare shell - a really old one, that came with my
                      > original headstock - that I can requisition, however (the
                      > spindle on that original on is stuffed - don't ask!).
                      >
                      > I'll have a look on Mr Carter's website and see how much he
                      > charges for a dovetail plate - or I could mill my own once I've
                      > got the mill back up and running. The first few jobs that the
                      > mill will be doing (including finishing the fourth axis ;) will
                      > be using three axes only, so the lack of the fourth axis until
                      > then is not a drama.
                      >
                      > I think I've sent you the link ot my CNC FLickr set, but I'll
                      > run the risk of sending it to you again. You can have a good
                      > laugh at Idiot's conniptions:
                      >
                      > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex1n/sets/72157625170643343/>
                      >
                      > More recent snaps are in my photostream and are probably more
                      > easily accessible:
                      >
                      > <http://www.flickr.com/alex1n>.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Alex.
                      >
                      > On 1/7/13 at 1:52 AM, tony@... (Tony Jeffree) wrote:
                      >
                      > >On 1 July 2013 10:47, Alexander Newman <anewman@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > >>(a fourth axis drive is included and will
                      > >>drive a Jeffree-designed rotary unit using a modified TAIG
                      > >>headstock)
                      > >>

                      > >​Alex -
                      > >
                      > >The dividing head that I built around the Taig headstock was intended for
                      > >use on a Taig lathe, to get the spindle at the same height as the lathe
                      > >headstock. If you don't have that constraint, then there is some virtue in
                      > >leaving the headstock un-modified, i.e., don't chop it's legs off, and
                      > >using a length of Aluminium dovetail (like the piece that the mill
                      > >headstock is mounted on) to mount it to the mill table. ​That way, if the
                      > >dovetail material is long enough, you can easily mount a Taig lathe
                      > >tailstock on the dovetail bed so you can give tailstock support to long
                      > >items. I believe Taig sell the dovetailed Aluminium beds for making pool
                      > >cue lathes & such...
                      > >
                      > >Regards,
                      > >Tony

                    • Alexander Newman
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 2 12:40 AM
                        Hi Tony,

                        Neat idea :). I in fact have a riser set lying idle!

                        Cheers,
                        Alex.

                      • Paul J. Ste. Marie
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 2 8:50 AM
                          On 7/1/2013 7:04 PM, Alexander Newman wrote:
                          > I acquired it from <http://www.mini-box.com.au> - that version
                          > was superceded not long after I bought it. Its replacement can
                          > be found at <http://www.mini-box.com> in the US, too. The sites

                          Heh. That's where I got my control computer from. Didn't think to look
                          for touchscreens there--mostly I've been trolling eBay for used ELO's.