Re: [taigtools] Re: Stuck lathe tail stock cross slide

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 25, 2013
      That is an option too :)

      On Jun 25, 2013 3:16 PM, "James Eckman" <ronin_engineer@...> wrote:

      > > Posted by: "Tony Jeffree"
      > > Bill -
      > >
      > > My advice would be to adjust the tailstock so that it is exactly on-axis
      > > and then leave it alone - adjusting tailstocks (generally, not just the
      > > Taig) is a PIA and best avoided if at all possible - most of the time you
      > > want it to be absolutely on-axis. If you need to taper-turn then either
      > use
      > > the topslide or adapt a boring head to serve as an adjustable offset
      > > tailstock centre.
      > Or given the cost and the ease of changing the tailstock, buy a second one.
      >
      > Jim

    • Lewis Hein
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 29, 2013
        >I think the term is self welding. Clean aluminum pieces firmly pressed
        >together will weld themselves together

        My Zuiko 300 mm lens just did that to me a few weeks ago. I was out on a
        camping trip, and I noticed that the tripod collar locking screw was getting
        really stiff to turn. It was an aluminum screw in aluminum. It soon twisted
        off, but my Taig has since helped fix that. (I'll be discussing this in the
        next issue of my newsletter)

        Lewis
        Pens, plans and projects online at www.heinfamilyenterprises.com/ppp
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 29, 2013
          Lew,
          When dealing with threaded aluminum to aluminum, use silicone grease.
          I use clarinet cork grease.