Re: Stuck lathe tail stock cross slide

  • LJG
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 24, 2013
      Aluminum is a little "sticky" for want of a better term, and the tailstock on the Taig is bare aluminum. If two blocks of bare aluminum were bolted together and left for 10 years, they probably would be stuck together. I suspect your problem is just due to the natural properties of aluminum.

      That said, you don't really care, you just want them apart. A solvent may or may not penetrate.

      I would drop it in a container of WD40. (I buy it by the gallon)

      Then I would make a hole in a piece of plywood to allow the "moveable" part to enter and put in in a vise and try to push the part out with a wooden dowel or just a flat piece of plywood. A six inch vise would get it part way out. The aluminum should not contact the vice.

      No vise big enough? I'd figure a way to use a little bottle jack and something heavy!

      And if it comes out I think there is a 50-50 chance it will be useable.

      ljg
    • Don
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 24, 2013
        I think the term is self welding. Clean aluminum pieces firmly pressed together will weld themselves together. That is how they make the refrigerator coils out of two flat sheets of aluminum.

        You might get the parts apart, but there will likely be some tearing of the "weld" If you want a tail stock you can adjust, pick up a new one from Nick and lube the dove tail prior to putting it in service.

        Don

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 24, 2013
          Tony,
          My tailstock is about 1/16" low.
          I use it (commonly) for pre-drilling parts before I finish them with the boring bar (guided by the CNC table, but it really sucks to slide it out to load a part, slide it back, and cram a piece of 16ga brass between the slide and the ways.  Lately, I just give up and just make sure that the flutes of the drill are oriented top/bottom.

          All I can think of (why it is so wrong), is that the headstock is too high.
          Taig must have made it this way for a reason.

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 24, 2013
            Thanks to everyone who responded.  Good ideas all.  Tony was right ("Don't move it! " ) or something like that.  Don and Paul's suggestions that I might need a new one are reasonable and logical.  That will probably be the smart thing to do.

            Thanks again.

            Bill

            I think the term is self welding.  Clean aluminum pieces firmly pressed together will weld themselves together.  That is how they make the refrigerator coils out of two flat sheets of aluminum.

            You might get the parts apart, but there will likely be some tearing of the "weld"  If you want a tail stock you can adjust, pick up a new one from Nick and lube the dove tail prior to putting it in service.

            Don

            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "LJG" <yrralguthrie@...> wrote:

            > Aluminum is a little "sticky" for want of a better term, and the tailstock on the Taig is bare aluminum.  If two blocks of bare aluminum were bolted together and left for 10 years, they probably would be stuck together. I suspect your problem is just due to the natural properties of aluminum.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • James Eckman
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 25, 2013
              > Posted by: "Tony Jeffree"
              > Bill -
              >
              > My advice would be to adjust the tailstock so that it is exactly on-axis
              > and then leave it alone - adjusting tailstocks (generally, not just the
              > Taig) is a PIA and best avoided if at all possible - most of the time you
              > want it to be absolutely on-axis. If you need to taper-turn then either use
              > the topslide or adapt a boring head to serve as an adjustable offset
              > tailstock centre.
              Or given the cost and the ease of changing the tailstock, buy a second one.

              Jim
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 25, 2013
                That is an option too :)

                On Jun 25, 2013 3:16 PM, "James Eckman" <ronin_engineer@...> wrote:

                > > Posted by: "Tony Jeffree"
                > > Bill -
                > >
                > > My advice would be to adjust the tailstock so that it is exactly on-axis
                > > and then leave it alone - adjusting tailstocks (generally, not just the
                > > Taig) is a PIA and best avoided if at all possible - most of the time you
                > > want it to be absolutely on-axis. If you need to taper-turn then either
                > use
                > > the topslide or adapt a boring head to serve as an adjustable offset
                > > tailstock centre.
                > Or given the cost and the ease of changing the tailstock, buy a second one.
                >
                > Jim

              • Lewis Hein
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 29, 2013
                  >I think the term is self welding. Clean aluminum pieces firmly pressed
                  >together will weld themselves together

                  My Zuiko 300 mm lens just did that to me a few weeks ago. I was out on a
                  camping trip, and I noticed that the tripod collar locking screw was getting
                  really stiff to turn. It was an aluminum screw in aluminum. It soon twisted
                  off, but my Taig has since helped fix that. (I'll be discussing this in the
                  next issue of my newsletter)

                  Lewis
                  Pens, plans and projects online at www.heinfamilyenterprises.com/ppp

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 29, 2013
                    Lew,
                    When dealing with threaded aluminum to aluminum, use silicone grease.
                    I use clarinet cork grease.