Stuck lathe tail stock cross slide

  • semobill4114
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 23, 2013
      I was trying to take the tail stock apart to clean it. After removing the bolts and hardware, the cross slide would not budge. It is at least ten years old and has never been set over before. After I gave it some cautious whacks with a weighted plastic hammer it moved about an inch but that was all.

      I suspect that old lube and dirt has glued the parts together. I thought about carefully applying some heat might break the seal. But first, I wanted to check in and see if anyone else has had a similar problem. I am open to suggestions.

      Bill
    • roberts
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 23, 2013
        Try Kroil .. you can order it from Brownells gun supply .. best SH((*& ever for breaking stuff loose ..
        Robert Seddon

        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "semobill4114" <semobill4114@...> wrote:

        > I was trying to take the tail stock apart to clean it. After removing the bolts and hardware, the cross slide would not budge. It is at least ten years old and has never been set over before. After I gave it some cautious whacks with a weighted plastic hammer it moved about an inch but that was all.
        >
        > I suspect that old lube and dirt has glued the parts together. I thought about carefully applying some heat might break the seal. But first, I wanted to check in and see if anyone else has had a similar problem. I am open to suggestions.
        >
        > Bill

      • Steve Wan
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 23, 2013
          Hi Bill

          I suspect that the vee groove is tapered on one side. Possible to
          whack on the opposite side? Spray plenty of WD40 overnight before you
          remove it.

          Then use a lapping stone to level up with Turpentine. Use dial test to
          check on regular intervals when you lap.

          Steve Wan

          On 6/24/13, roberts <robert5721@...> wrote:
          > Try Kroil .. you can order it from Brownells gun supply .. best SH((*& ever
          > for breaking stuff loose ..
          > Robert Seddon
          >

          > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "semobill4114" <semobill4114@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I was trying to take the tail stock apart to clean it. After removing the
          >> bolts and hardware, the cross slide would not budge. It is at least ten
          >> years old and has never been set over before. After I gave it some
          >> cautious whacks with a weighted plastic hammer it moved about an inch but
          >> that was all.
          >>
          >> I suspect that old lube and dirt has glued the parts together. I thought
          >> about carefully applying some heat might break the seal. But first, I
          >> wanted to check in and see if anyone else has had a similar problem. I am
          >> open to suggestions.
          >>
          >> Bill

        • Paul J. Ste. Marie
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 24, 2013
            On 6/23/2013 7:14 PM, semobill4114 wrote:
            > But first, I wanted to check in and see if anyone else has had a
            > similar problem. I am open to suggestions.

            Echoing the other comments, squirt in WD-40 to dissolve the crud and
            clean out the ends with a toothbrush. If there is crud (and swarf, to
            be more specific) built up at the ends of the joint, you risk forcing it
            into the joint by hammering on it.

            That said, if you've already hammered it an inch, whatever damage there
            was to do is done.
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 24, 2013
              Bill -

              My advice would be to adjust the tailstock so that it is exactly on-axis
              and then leave it alone - adjusting tailstocks (generally, not just the
              Taig) is a PIA and best avoided if at all possible - most of the time you
              want it to be absolutely on-axis. If you need to taper-turn then either use
              the topslide or adapt a boring head to serve as an adjustable offset
              tailstock centre.

              I did modify my tailstock so that it has micrometer offset adjustment, but
              apart from using the adjustment to align the tailsock after doing the mods
              mine has remained as I left it.

              On 24 June 2013 03:14, semobill4114 <semobill4114@...> wrote:

              > I was trying to take the tail stock apart to clean it. After removing the
              > bolts and hardware, the cross slide would not budge. It is at least ten
              > years old and has never been set over before. After I gave it some
              > cautious whacks with a weighted plastic hammer it moved about an inch but
              > that was all.
              >
              > I suspect that old lube and dirt has glued the parts together. I thought
              > about carefully applying some heat might break the seal. But first, I
              > wanted to check in and see if anyone else has had a similar problem. I am
              > open to suggestions.
              >
              > Bill

            • LJG
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 24, 2013
                Aluminum is a little "sticky" for want of a better term, and the tailstock on the Taig is bare aluminum. If two blocks of bare aluminum were bolted together and left for 10 years, they probably would be stuck together. I suspect your problem is just due to the natural properties of aluminum.

                That said, you don't really care, you just want them apart. A solvent may or may not penetrate.

                I would drop it in a container of WD40. (I buy it by the gallon)

                Then I would make a hole in a piece of plywood to allow the "moveable" part to enter and put in in a vise and try to push the part out with a wooden dowel or just a flat piece of plywood. A six inch vise would get it part way out. The aluminum should not contact the vice.

                No vise big enough? I'd figure a way to use a little bottle jack and something heavy!

                And if it comes out I think there is a 50-50 chance it will be useable.

                ljg
              • Don
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 24, 2013
                  I think the term is self welding. Clean aluminum pieces firmly pressed together will weld themselves together. That is how they make the refrigerator coils out of two flat sheets of aluminum.

                  You might get the parts apart, but there will likely be some tearing of the "weld" If you want a tail stock you can adjust, pick up a new one from Nick and lube the dove tail prior to putting it in service.

                  Don

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 24, 2013
                    Tony,
                    My tailstock is about 1/16" low.
                    I use it (commonly) for pre-drilling parts before I finish them with the boring bar (guided by the CNC table, but it really sucks to slide it out to load a part, slide it back, and cram a piece of 16ga brass between the slide and the ways.  Lately, I just give up and just make sure that the flutes of the drill are oriented top/bottom.

                    All I can think of (why it is so wrong), is that the headstock is too high.
                    Taig must have made it this way for a reason.

                    ________________________________
                    My advice would be to adjust the tailstock so that it is exactly on-axis
                    and then leave it alone - adjusting tailstocks (generally, not just the
                    Taig) is a PIA and best avoided if at all possible - most of the time you
                    want it to be absolutely on-axis. If you need to taper-turn then either use
                    the topslide or adapt a boring head to serve as an adjustable offset
                    tailstock centre.

                    I did modify my tailstock so that it has micrometer offset adjustment, but
                    apart from using the adjustment to align the tailsock after doing the mods
                    mine has remained as I left it.

                    On 24 June 2013 03:14, semobill4114 <semobill4114@...> wrote:

                    > I was trying to take the tail stock apart to clean it. After removing the
                    > bolts and hardware, the cross slide would not budge. It is at least ten
                    > years old and has never been set over before. After I gave it some
                    > cautious whacks with a weighted plastic hammer it moved about an inch but
                    > that was all.
                    >
                    > I suspect that old lube and dirt has glued the parts together. I thought
                    > about carefully applying some heat might break the seal. But first, I
                    > wanted to check in and see if anyone else has had a similar problem. I am
                    > open to suggestions.
                    >
                    > Bill

                  • Bill M
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 24, 2013
                      Thanks to everyone who responded.  Good ideas all.  Tony was right ("Don't move it! " ) or something like that.  Don and Paul's suggestions that I might need a new one are reasonable and logical.  That will probably be the smart thing to do.

                      Thanks again.

                      Bill

                      I think the term is self welding.  Clean aluminum pieces firmly pressed together will weld themselves together.  That is how they make the refrigerator coils out of two flat sheets of aluminum.

                      You might get the parts apart, but there will likely be some tearing of the "weld"  If you want a tail stock you can adjust, pick up a new one from Nick and lube the dove tail prior to putting it in service.

                      Don

                      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "LJG" <yrralguthrie@...> wrote:

                      > Aluminum is a little "sticky" for want of a better term, and the tailstock on the Taig is bare aluminum.  If two blocks of bare aluminum were bolted together and left for 10 years, they probably would be stuck together. I suspect your problem is just due to the natural properties of aluminum.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • James Eckman
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 25, 2013
                        > Posted by: "Tony Jeffree"
                        > Bill -
                        >
                        > My advice would be to adjust the tailstock so that it is exactly on-axis
                        > and then leave it alone - adjusting tailstocks (generally, not just the
                        > Taig) is a PIA and best avoided if at all possible - most of the time you
                        > want it to be absolutely on-axis. If you need to taper-turn then either use
                        > the topslide or adapt a boring head to serve as an adjustable offset
                        > tailstock centre.
                        Or given the cost and the ease of changing the tailstock, buy a second one.

                        Jim
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 25, 2013
                          That is an option too :)

                          On Jun 25, 2013 3:16 PM, "James Eckman" <ronin_engineer@...> wrote:

                          > > Posted by: "Tony Jeffree"
                          > > Bill -
                          > >
                          > > My advice would be to adjust the tailstock so that it is exactly on-axis
                          > > and then leave it alone - adjusting tailstocks (generally, not just the
                          > > Taig) is a PIA and best avoided if at all possible - most of the time you
                          > > want it to be absolutely on-axis. If you need to taper-turn then either
                          > use
                          > > the topslide or adapt a boring head to serve as an adjustable offset
                          > > tailstock centre.
                          > Or given the cost and the ease of changing the tailstock, buy a second one.
                          >
                          > Jim

                        • Lewis Hein
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 29, 2013
                            >I think the term is self welding. Clean aluminum pieces firmly pressed
                            >together will weld themselves together

                            My Zuiko 300 mm lens just did that to me a few weeks ago. I was out on a
                            camping trip, and I noticed that the tripod collar locking screw was getting
                            really stiff to turn. It was an aluminum screw in aluminum. It soon twisted
                            off, but my Taig has since helped fix that. (I'll be discussing this in the
                            next issue of my newsletter)

                            Lewis
                            Pens, plans and projects online at www.heinfamilyenterprises.com/ppp

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 29, 2013
                              Lew,
                              When dealing with threaded aluminum to aluminum, use silicone grease.
                              I use clarinet cork grease.