Square tubing of taig mill

  • Shane Adams
    Message 1 of 19 , May 22, 2013
      Howdy -

      Had a curiosity about my Taig Mill. I've never taken it apart although I need to to do a good overall cleanup and oiling.  Anyway I was wondering how taig managed to get the base tubing 90 degree square between the column and the y-axis base?  [Parts 200-10 and 200-40]

      Are they ground flat on one side or is the leveling handled some other way?

      Shane

    • pgmrdan
      Message 2 of 19 , May 26, 2013
        I don't have one but I just saw a video where the dovetailed piece on the mill column can be adjusted and shimmed to tram the mill. Not certain if that's what you're asking but no one has replied yet so I thought I'd toss that out there. :)

        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Shane Adams <adamsch1@...> wrote:

        > Howdy -
        >
        > Had a curiosity about my Taig Mill. I've never taken it apart although I need to to do a good overall cleanup and oiling.  Anyway I was wondering how taig managed to get the base tubing 90 degree square between the column and the y-axis base?  [Parts 200-10 and 200-40]
        >
        > Are they ground flat on one side or is the leveling handled some other way?
        >
        > Shane

      • Shane Adams
        Message 3 of 19 , May 26, 2013
          Thanks!

          I found a bunch of videos on Youtube by the owner of Taig [I assume] showing how to adjust and tram the mill and goes into a fair bit of detail.  It looks like the tubing is ground flat after it's welded which makes sense to me now that i've seen it.

          Shane

          http://www.fuper.com ~ https://github.com/adamsch1

          ________________________________
          I don't have one but I just saw a video where the dovetailed piece on the mill column can be adjusted and shimmed to tram the mill. Not certain if that's what you're asking but no one has replied yet so I thought I'd toss that out there. :)

          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Shane Adams <adamsch1@...> wrote:

          > Howdy -
          >
          > Had a curiosity about my Taig Mill. I've never taken it apart although I need to to do a good overall cleanup and oiling.  Anyway I was wondering how taig managed to get the base tubing 90 degree square between the column and the y-axis base?  [Parts 200-10 and 200-40]
          >
          > Are they ground flat on one side or is the leveling handled some other way?
          >
          > Shane

        • James Dethrow
          Message 4 of 19 , May 26, 2013
            hello all there is also alota good videos from tubal cain called " machine shop secrets" for those intersted in learning from one the the greats.happy Memorial Day from james.

          • pgmrdan
            Message 5 of 19 , May 28, 2013
              As a side question, why does he call himself tubalcain? He doesn't sound British. I have doubts that he's the author of the Workshop Practice Series books and other books authored by Tubal Cain.

              Am I all wrong?

              Message 6 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                The original Tubal Cain (author of the books you refer to and more) is long
                dead. This guy isn't the first to "adopt" his name.

                On 28 May 2013 21:16, pgmrdan <pgmrdan@...> wrote:

                > As a side question, why does he call himself tubalcain? He doesn't sound
                > British. I have doubts that he's the author of the Workshop Practice
                > Series books and other books authored by Tubal Cain.
                >
                > Am I all wrong?
                >
                > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, James Dethrow <dethrow2@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > hello all there is also alota good videos from tubal cain called "
                > machine shop secrets" for those intersted in learning from one the the
                > greats.happy Memorial Day from james.

              • Jeffrey Birt
                Message 7 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                  Neither of them are "Tubal Cain". Tubal Cain is the name of a metal worker mentioned in the Bible. They are both using the name as a "pen name".

                  Jeff Birt
                  Soigeneris.com

                  As a side question, why does he call himself tubalcain? He doesn't sound British. I have doubts that he's the author of the Workshop Practice Series books and other books authored by Tubal Cain.

                  Am I all wrong?

                  --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, James Dethrow <dethrow2@...> wrote:

                  > hello all there is also alota good videos from tubal cain called " machine shop secrets" for those intersted in learning from one the the greats.happy Memorial Day from james.

                • Caparo
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                    On Tuesday 28 May 2013 21:36:06 Jeffrey Birt wrote:
                    > Neither of them are "Tubal Cain". Tubal Cain is the name of a metal worker
                    > mentioned in the Bible. They are both using the name as a "pen name".
                    >
                    > Jeff Birt
                    > Soigeneris.com
                    Hi,
                    Tubal Cain was the first articifer in metals to King Solomon at the building
                    of the original Temple according to those in the FreeMasons Temples
                    teachings.

                    --
                    TTFN
                    Caparo.
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                      Yep Tubal Cain is the son of cain and the first work of bronze and Iron in Genesis 4:22 since then lots of metal workers have used that name since he was the first of record at least!

                      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Birt <birt_j@...> wrote:

                      > Neither of them are "Tubal Cain". Tubal Cain is the name of a metal worker mentioned in the Bible. They are both using the name as a "pen name".
                      >
                      > Jeff Birt
                      > Soigeneris.com

                    • pgmrdan
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                        It comes across oddly that this guy is using the name of the author of some pretty fine books and articles and was a very impressive university instructor. I find it annoying. </rant> :)

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Walshaw

                        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Tony Jeffree <tony@...> wrote:

                        > The original Tubal Cain (author of the books you refer to and more) is long
                        > dead. This guy isn't the first to "adopt" his name.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Tony
                        >

                        > On 28 May 2013 21:16, pgmrdan <pgmrdan@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > As a side question, why does he call himself tubalcain? He doesn't sound
                        > > British. I have doubts that he's the author of the Workshop Practice
                        > > Series books and other books authored by Tubal Cain.
                        > >
                        > > Am I all wrong?
                        > >
                        > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, James Dethrow <dethrow2@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > hello all there is also alota good videos from tubal cain called "
                        > > machine shop secrets" for those intersted in learning from one the the
                        > > greats.happy Memorial Day from james.

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Shawn Woolley
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                          I agree somewhat but in his original website (don't know about now) he made it very clear that he was not that Tubal Caine but rather a big fan and after the originals death he wanted to do his part to help the original Tubal's good work continue and he took the name as a show of respect and continuity. I don't know if thats true or not or if he grabbed it as a ready made fan base. But who knows really, he does some good work and isn't trying to fool nobody and with billions on the internet originality is mostly dead so ???

                          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "pgmrdan" <pgmrdan@...> wrote:

                          > It comes across oddly that this guy is using the name of the author of some pretty fine books and articles and was a very impressive university instructor. I find it annoying. </rant> :)
                          >
                          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Walshaw
                          >
                          > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Tony Jeffree <tony@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > The original Tubal Cain (author of the books you refer to and more) is long
                          > > dead. This guy isn't the first to "adopt" his name.
                          > >
                          > > Regards,
                          > > Tony
                          > >

                          > > On 28 May 2013 21:16, pgmrdan <pgmrdan@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > As a side question, why does he call himself tubalcain? He doesn't sound
                          > > > British. I have doubts that he's the author of the Workshop Practice
                          > > > Series books and other books authored by Tubal Cain.

                          > > > machine shop secrets" for those intersted in learning from one the the
                          > > > greats.happy Memorial Day from james.

                          > > > Let the chips fly!
                          > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Nick Ames
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                            I believe both their pseudonyms are biblical references:
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubal-cain .

                            On 05/28/2013 03:13 PM, Shawn Woolley wrote:
                            > I agree somewhat but in his original website (don't know about now) he made it very clear that he was not that Tubal Caine but rather a big fan and after the originals death he wanted to do his part to help the original Tubal's good work continue and he took the name as a show of respect and continuity. I don't know if thats true or not or if he grabbed it as a ready made fan base. But who knows really, he does some good work and isn't trying to fool nobody and with billions on the internet originality is mostly dead so ???
                            >
                            > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "pgmrdan" <pgmrdan@...> wrote:
                            >> It comes across oddly that this guy is using the name of the author of some pretty fine books and articles and was a very impressive university instructor. I find it annoying. </rant> :)
                            >>
                            >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Walshaw
                            >>
                            >> --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Tony Jeffree <tony@> wrote:
                            >>> The original Tubal Cain (author of the books you refer to and more) is long
                            >>> dead. This guy isn't the first to "adopt" his name.
                            >>>
                            >>> Regards,
                            >>> Tony

                            Nick Ames - http://www.fetchmodus.org/
                          • pgmrdan
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 29, 2013
                              Well, that's fair then. I thought maybe he was trying to use the name to his advantage.

                              If he's doing it out of respect then it's a good thing. Thanks!

                              I only heard of this guy about 2 weeks ago whereas I had heard of the author and university instructor perhaps 12 to 15 years ago and have a few of his books.

                              Some are impressed by the newer guy so maybe I'll watch some more of his videos.