I'm new here. Will I fit in?

  • pgmrdan
    Message 1 of 10 , May 16, 2013
      So I bought a mini-lathe and mini-mill several years ago, moved shortly after I got them, and still haven't used them much but...I want a Taig lathe. I wanted one before I got the mini's.

      I've learned a bit by experimenting around with the mini's but I really like the accuracy of the Taig and, in general, I like small stuff. The mini's are small but the Taig is even smaller.

      Would I be making a dumb move by getting a Taig lathe too? Should I just work on improving my mini's? All of the above?

      Anyway, hello. :)

      Dan
    • pgmrdan
      Message 2 of 10 , May 16, 2013
        Also, what would be good to add to the beginner's package when/if I get a Taig? (I think I'll use that package as a base and add a couple more items, if needed, to get started. Good idea?)

        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "pgmrdan" <pgmrdan@...> wrote:

        > So I bought a mini-lathe and mini-mill several years ago, moved shortly after I got them, and still haven't used them much but...I want a Taig lathe. I wanted one before I got the mini's.
        >
        > I've learned a bit by experimenting around with the mini's but I really like the accuracy of the Taig and, in general, I like small stuff. The mini's are small but the Taig is even smaller.
        >
        > Would I be making a dumb move by getting a Taig lathe too? Should I just work on improving my mini's? All of the above?
        >
        > Anyway, hello. :)
        >
        > Dan

      • Carl Carlsen
        Message 3 of 10 , May 16, 2013
          >From: pgmrdan
          >moved shortly after I got them,

          Dan ....where are you now living?

          Carl
        • pgmrdan
          Message 4 of 10 , May 16, 2013
            South central Iowa.

            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Carlsen" <candb2903@...> wrote:

            > >From: pgmrdan
            > >moved shortly after I got them,
            >
            > Dan ....where are you now living?
            >
            > Carl

          • carbildr
            Message 5 of 10 , May 16, 2013
              Welcome to the Taig Group.  No one on this list would think it was a dumb move to buy a Taig even though you already have something else. The accuracy and versatility of the Taig will allow you to make parts to improve the other lathe if you choose.

              Doug Powell

              Taig Tools Dealer

              Message 6 of 10 , May 16, 2013
                I have never owned a mini.  I work on pretty tiny, and precise stuff.
                Most lathe or mill owners always want bigger and more powerful tools.  The problem is that most Chinese minis can't hold tolerances.  A Taig lathe is a precise tool.  If you get your skills together, it will be as precise as you will ever need.

                Two things the Taig doesn't do well:
                It doesn't thread, and I have to do some major CNC plotting to thread with it.
                And it doesn't handle larger or longer work.

                I have always wanted a mini to "rip" my blanks down to size.
                There are some guys on the list that do some amazing work -- if someone posts a link -- follow it.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 10 , May 16, 2013
                  Dan,

                  I have a Clarke 7X12, a Taig, and a Unimat SL. I use the Unimat the most
                  for general small stuff, the Taig for the larger pieces, and the Mini for
                  threading, mostly cone fittings on Stainless Steel Ultra High Pressure
                  tubing. The power feed is handy for that as well as the geared head.

                  You will find uses for all you have. I bought a set of collets and chuck for
                  the Taig also a vertical mill attachment, I have a 4" rotary indexing head
                  that will work on any of the machines with slight modifications, an indexer
                  specifically for the Unimat. The Taig and the Mini both have compound
                  slides. I have made 3/4-16 to 12M-1 adapters so I can use collets on either
                  the Unimat or the Taig, I have both the 3 and 4 jaw chucks for all three
                  machines, a steady for the Unimat, and the Mini.
                  The Unimat can be configured as a mill or drill press also.

                  Pat

                  Also, what would be good to add to the beginner's package when/if I get a
                  Taig? (I think I'll use that package as a base and add a couple more items,
                  if needed, to get started. Good idea?)

                  --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "pgmrdan" <pgmrdan@...> wrote:

                  > So I bought a mini-lathe and mini-mill several years ago, moved shortly
                  after I got them, and still haven't used them much but...I want a Taig
                  lathe. I wanted one before I got the mini's.

                  > I've learned a bit by experimenting around with the mini's but I really
                  like the accuracy of the Taig and, in general, I like small stuff. The
                  mini's are small but the Taig is even smaller.

                  > Would I be making a dumb move by getting a Taig lathe too? Should I just
                  work on improving my mini's? All of the above?

                  > Anyway, hello. :)
                  >
                  > Dan

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • pgmrdan
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 17, 2013
                    With the mini-lathe's threading ability and with the ability to handle larger items and the accuracy of the Taig with the small stuff I thought the mini-lathe and Taig would complement each other.

                    Sounds like that's my reason ('excuse') to get the Taig. :)

                    --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Will Schmit <anchornm@...> wrote:

                    > I have never owned a mini.  I work on pretty tiny, and precise stuff.
                    > Most lathe or mill owners always want bigger and more powerful tools.  The problem is that most Chinese minis can't hold tolerances.  A Taig lathe is a precise tool.  If you get your skills together, it will be as precise as you will ever need.
                    >
                    > Two things the Taig doesn't do well:
                    > It doesn't thread, and I have to do some major CNC plotting to thread with it.
                    > And it doesn't handle larger or longer work.
                    >
                    > I have always wanted a mini to "rip" my blanks down to size.
                    > There are some guys on the list that do some amazing work -- if someone posts a link -- follow it.
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • LJG
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 24, 2013
                      I've owned a Taig and I have a mini-lathe.

                      The Taig is precise out of the box, but the lack of a screw drive is a major problem. No thread cutting and no mirror finish parts. It's virtually impossible to hand crank slow enough to get a piston like finish. The factory chuck is only ok, but without collets it is far less precise than the rest of the lathe.

                      The mini-lathe should be considered a "kit". It needs to be tuned up. It will hold tolerances quite well if some attention is paid to it. The factory chuck is not ok. Either get a good quality Chinese four jaw, or one of the European (likely Poland) 3 jaw chucks. However a 4in Bison 3 jaw chuck will cost about 2/3 the price of the lathe.

                      A mini-lathe with a couple of modifications (better chuck and tapered roller bearings in the head is a pretty good lathe. $1000

                      The Taig with the addition of the compound slide and the screw drive still won't cut threads, but is otherwise a very good, but very small lathe. $600

                      If just the headstock, bed and crossslide are considered on the two, they are just about the same quality. The mini lathe has more parts to go wrong.

                      By the way, the chuck on the Taig I had was hard to tighten. It operates more like a drill chuck. No key, just a bar to hold it while it is tightened with the hands.

                      ljg
                    • Paul J. Ste. Marie
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 24, 2013
                        On 6/24/2013 4:47 AM, LJG wrote:
                        > No key, just a bar to hold it while it is tightened with the hands.

                        Use two bars, one on the back portion and one on the front. You can
                        usually position it and choose holes such that you can squeeze the bars
                        together.

                        Still, the four jaw chuck generally functions better, it's just more
                        hassle to set up.