Poll : What is the backlash on your mill ?

  • agrau31000
    Message 1 of 19 , May 15, 2013
      Out of curiosity of what is the range - and what are the extremes - I'd like to sample the backlashes we have here across the board. I have to admit that I have measured mine for the first time today, and I am lacking comparison as to where I stand. And I am curious to learn how to better things.

      Mine are :
      X-axis 0.12mm - 0.0047"
      Y-axis 0.05mm - 0.0019"
      Z-axis 0.01mm - 0.00039"

      I'd thought that Z would be the best: Gravity plays in my favor. I am somewhat surprised about the difference between X and Y - especially since the X stepper runs significantly hotter, I had assumed the screw-nut were tighter = better backlash. Surprise!

      Thanks,
      Andreas
    • Jeffrey Birt
      Message 2 of 19 , May 15, 2013
        Andreas,

        I try to keep my Taig adjusted so my backlash is less than 0.001" on each
        axis. Adjusting the backlash is not hard to do, though it does take a little
        while to get the knack of it. One other trick is to whip up a simple
        exercise program for the mill. When I lube the machine up I'll run my
        exercise program which just moves all three axis from end to end
        continuously. I'll let it run for 15 minutes or so, wipe up any gunk that
        got pushed out to the end of the screws. Not only does this distribute the
        lubrication very well it also help you prevent wearing the screw in just one
        area. After lubrication and exercise then I'll adjust the backlash if
        needed.

        Jeff Birt

        Soigeneris.com

        Message 3 of 19 , May 16, 2013
          Jeffrey Birt wrote:
          > I try to keep my Taig adjusted so my backlash is less than 0.001" on each
          > axis. Adjusting the backlash is not hard to do, though it does take a little
          > while to get the knack of it. One other trick is to whip up a simple
          > exercise program for the mill. When I lube the machine up I'll run my
          > exercise program which just moves all three axis from end to end
          > continuously. I'll let it run for 15 minutes or so, wipe up any gunk that
          > got pushed out to the end of the screws. Not only does this distribute the
          > lubrication very well it also help you prevent wearing the screw in just one
          > area. After lubrication and exercise then I'll adjust the backlash if
          > needed.

          Seconded ... My jewellery customers would benefit from that process but I can't
          get them to do it reliably, so the centre section of the lead screws gets warn
          over time. The key here though is simply CHECKING and recording the backlash.
          Once the backlash starts to increase you get a feel for how often you need to
          adjust, and that may only been when one needs a little more accuracy for a
          particular job.

          --
          Lester Caine - G8HFL
          -----------------------------
          Message 4 of 19 , May 16, 2013
            Your figures are very typical of what I find when I get to the "I'd better do something about this" stage. X is around 4thou, Y around 2, Z negligible.

            I have fitted Oldham couplers as in Tony's mod, I find the lash is always in the nuts. I can get it down to about 1.5 on the X and 1 on the Y.

            I don't understand how taking your mill for a non-cutting run around the leadscrews saves wear in the middle, surely the only thing that can do that is shifting the jobs around?

            Chris
          • Jeffrey Birt
            Message 5 of 19 , May 17, 2013
              > I don't understand how taking your mill for a non-cutting run around the
              leadscrews saves wear in the middle, surely the only thing that can do that
              is shifting the jobs around?

              That is a good question, I should have explained it better. If you think of
              how the leadscrew might wear you could imagine that small bits of the steel
              would just be worn away over time. It can also 'cold flow' where you tend to
              push up a lip at the edges of where you normally run the machine (the
              center). If you tighten down the lead nut it will tend to catch on these
              'lips', so by running each axis from end to end you tend to eliminate the
              lip.

              You are correct that moving your jobs around the table is the best defense
              against wearing out a small section of the screw.

              Message 6 of 19 , May 17, 2013
                Jeffrey Birt wrote:
                >> I don't understand how taking your mill for a non-cutting run around the
                > leadscrews saves wear in the middle, surely the only thing that can do that
                > is shifting the jobs around?

                The bulk of jewellery jobs tend to be small items using small cutter, so the
                work and cutting pressure does not add much over the general ware of movement.

                --
                Lester Caine - G8HFL
                -----------------------------
                Message 7 of 19 , May 22, 2013
                  Howdy -

                  Had a curiosity about my Taig Mill. I've never taken it apart although I need to to do a good overall cleanup and oiling.  Anyway I was wondering how taig managed to get the base tubing 90 degree square between the column and the y-axis base?  [Parts 200-10 and 200-40]

                  Are they ground flat on one side or is the leveling handled some other way?

                  Shane

                • pgmrdan
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 26, 2013
                    I don't have one but I just saw a video where the dovetailed piece on the mill column can be adjusted and shimmed to tram the mill. Not certain if that's what you're asking but no one has replied yet so I thought I'd toss that out there. :)

                    --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Shane Adams <adamsch1@...> wrote:

                    > Howdy -
                    >
                    > Had a curiosity about my Taig Mill. I've never taken it apart although I need to to do a good overall cleanup and oiling.  Anyway I was wondering how taig managed to get the base tubing 90 degree square between the column and the y-axis base?  [Parts 200-10 and 200-40]
                    >
                    > Are they ground flat on one side or is the leveling handled some other way?
                    >
                    > Shane

                  • Shane Adams
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 26, 2013
                      Thanks!

                      I found a bunch of videos on Youtube by the owner of Taig [I assume] showing how to adjust and tram the mill and goes into a fair bit of detail.  It looks like the tubing is ground flat after it's welded which makes sense to me now that i've seen it.

                      Shane

                      http://www.fuper.com ~ https://github.com/adamsch1

                      ________________________________
                      I don't have one but I just saw a video where the dovetailed piece on the mill column can be adjusted and shimmed to tram the mill. Not certain if that's what you're asking but no one has replied yet so I thought I'd toss that out there. :)

                      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Shane Adams <adamsch1@...> wrote:

                      > Howdy -
                      >
                      > Had a curiosity about my Taig Mill. I've never taken it apart although I need to to do a good overall cleanup and oiling.  Anyway I was wondering how taig managed to get the base tubing 90 degree square between the column and the y-axis base?  [Parts 200-10 and 200-40]
                      >
                      > Are they ground flat on one side or is the leveling handled some other way?
                      >
                      > Shane

                    • James Dethrow
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 26, 2013
                        hello all there is also alota good videos from tubal cain called " machine shop secrets" for those intersted in learning from one the the greats.happy Memorial Day from james.

                      • pgmrdan
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                          As a side question, why does he call himself tubalcain? He doesn't sound British. I have doubts that he's the author of the Workshop Practice Series books and other books authored by Tubal Cain.

                          Am I all wrong?

                          Message 12 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                            The original Tubal Cain (author of the books you refer to and more) is long
                            dead. This guy isn't the first to "adopt" his name.

                            Message 13 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                              Neither of them are "Tubal Cain". Tubal Cain is the name of a metal worker mentioned in the Bible. They are both using the name as a "pen name".

                              Jeff Birt
                              Soigeneris.com

                              As a side question, why does he call himself tubalcain? He doesn't sound British. I have doubts that he's the author of the Workshop Practice Series books and other books authored by Tubal Cain.

                              Am I all wrong?

                              --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, James Dethrow <dethrow2@...> wrote:

                              > hello all there is also alota good videos from tubal cain called " machine shop secrets" for those intersted in learning from one the the greats.happy Memorial Day from james.

                            • Caparo
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                                On Tuesday 28 May 2013 21:36:06 Jeffrey Birt wrote:
                                > Neither of them are "Tubal Cain". Tubal Cain is the name of a metal worker
                                > mentioned in the Bible. They are both using the name as a "pen name".
                                >
                                > Jeff Birt
                                > Soigeneris.com
                                Hi,
                                Tubal Cain was the first articifer in metals to King Solomon at the building
                                of the original Temple according to those in the FreeMasons Temples
                                teachings.

                                --
                                TTFN
                                Caparo.
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                                  Yep Tubal Cain is the son of cain and the first work of bronze and Iron in Genesis 4:22 since then lots of metal workers have used that name since he was the first of record at least!

                                  --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Birt <birt_j@...> wrote:

                                  > Neither of them are "Tubal Cain". Tubal Cain is the name of a metal worker mentioned in the Bible. They are both using the name as a "pen name".
                                  >
                                  > Jeff Birt
                                  > Soigeneris.com

                                • pgmrdan
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                                    It comes across oddly that this guy is using the name of the author of some pretty fine books and articles and was a very impressive university instructor. I find it annoying. </rant> :)

                                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Walshaw

                                    --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Tony Jeffree <tony@...> wrote:

                                    > The original Tubal Cain (author of the books you refer to and more) is long
                                    > dead. This guy isn't the first to "adopt" his name.
                                    >
                                    > Regards,
                                    > Tony
                                    >

                                    > On 28 May 2013 21:16, pgmrdan <pgmrdan@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > As a side question, why does he call himself tubalcain? He doesn't sound
                                    > > British. I have doubts that he's the author of the Workshop Practice
                                    > > Series books and other books authored by Tubal Cain.
                                    > >
                                    > > Am I all wrong?
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, James Dethrow <dethrow2@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > hello all there is also alota good videos from tubal cain called "
                                    > > machine shop secrets" for those intersted in learning from one the the
                                    > > greats.happy Memorial Day from james.

                                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Shawn Woolley
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                                      I agree somewhat but in his original website (don't know about now) he made it very clear that he was not that Tubal Caine but rather a big fan and after the originals death he wanted to do his part to help the original Tubal's good work continue and he took the name as a show of respect and continuity. I don't know if thats true or not or if he grabbed it as a ready made fan base. But who knows really, he does some good work and isn't trying to fool nobody and with billions on the internet originality is mostly dead so ???

                                      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "pgmrdan" <pgmrdan@...> wrote:

                                      > It comes across oddly that this guy is using the name of the author of some pretty fine books and articles and was a very impressive university instructor. I find it annoying. </rant> :)
                                      >
                                      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Walshaw
                                      >
                                      > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Tony Jeffree <tony@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > The original Tubal Cain (author of the books you refer to and more) is long
                                      > > dead. This guy isn't the first to "adopt" his name.
                                      > >
                                      > > Regards,
                                      > > Tony
                                      > >

                                      > > On 28 May 2013 21:16, pgmrdan <pgmrdan@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > > As a side question, why does he call himself tubalcain? He doesn't sound
                                      > > > British. I have doubts that he's the author of the Workshop Practice
                                      > > > Series books and other books authored by Tubal Cain.

                                      > > > machine shop secrets" for those intersted in learning from one the the
                                      > > > greats.happy Memorial Day from james.

                                      > > > Let the chips fly!
                                      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • Nick Ames
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 28, 2013
                                        I believe both their pseudonyms are biblical references:
                                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tubal-cain .

                                        On 05/28/2013 03:13 PM, Shawn Woolley wrote:
                                        > I agree somewhat but in his original website (don't know about now) he made it very clear that he was not that Tubal Caine but rather a big fan and after the originals death he wanted to do his part to help the original Tubal's good work continue and he took the name as a show of respect and continuity. I don't know if thats true or not or if he grabbed it as a ready made fan base. But who knows really, he does some good work and isn't trying to fool nobody and with billions on the internet originality is mostly dead so ???
                                        >
                                        > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "pgmrdan" <pgmrdan@...> wrote:
                                        >> It comes across oddly that this guy is using the name of the author of some pretty fine books and articles and was a very impressive university instructor. I find it annoying. </rant> :)
                                        >>
                                        >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Walshaw
                                        >>
                                        >> --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Tony Jeffree <tony@> wrote:
                                        >>> The original Tubal Cain (author of the books you refer to and more) is long
                                        >>> dead. This guy isn't the first to "adopt" his name.
                                        >>>
                                        >>> Regards,
                                        >>> Tony

                                        Nick Ames - http://www.fetchmodus.org/
                                      • pgmrdan
                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 29, 2013
                                          Well, that's fair then. I thought maybe he was trying to use the name to his advantage.

                                          If he's doing it out of respect then it's a good thing. Thanks!

                                          I only heard of this guy about 2 weeks ago whereas I had heard of the author and university instructor perhaps 12 to 15 years ago and have a few of his books.

                                          Some are impressed by the newer guy so maybe I'll watch some more of his videos.