RE: [taigtools] Re: repeatibility and spindle mods

  • Jeffrey Birt
    Message 1 of 13 , May 15, 2013
      Ten years ago I suspect you got the older ‘lathe’ style headstock, and the
      older dovetail Z column. The ‘new’ headstock is a single piece extrusion
      that accepts a cartridge style shaft/bearing assembly. The spindle is now
      ER16 as opposed to the old ¾-16 like the lathe. It is very stout.

      About 5 years ago my friend used a Taig CNC mill as part of his PhD. work.
      He had developed a new method of predicting equipment failures (predictive
      maintenance) and since bearing failure has been widely studied it provided a
      way to compare his method to existing methods. We flushed the grease out of
      the bearings and he milled aluminum plate for 12-14 hours a day with the
      machine. The headstock was fitted with accelerometers and temperature
      sensors (as well as the base of the machine.) With no grease the spindle
      would run about 30 hours, noticeable vibration (from a human senses
      perspective) was only an issue towards the end of the bearing life. Most of
      the bearings failed very quickly and very catastrophically. We put dozens of
      bearings in two different spindles over the course of 4 mounts (or so). When
      the research was all done I replaced the whole cartridge in both spindles
      and still use them, and the machine to this day.

      Jeff Birt

      Soigeneris.com