Re: Taig Lathe rebuild

  • Don
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 28, 2013

      The old style 3 jaw chuck has smaller screws holding the soft jaws on. This isn't a problem until it comes time to replace the soft jaws

      The tommy bar limits the amount of torque you can apply when closing the chuck. I have a couple with bent ends from exceeding that limit. I just use and openend wrench on a jaw and the tommy bar to tighten the chuck. If I need a tighter clamp, I use the four jaaw.

      A newer spindle is a good idea. After a while the old style spindle looses the tiny amount of pre-load on the bearings due to the C Clip loosing up. The new style spindle with the pre-load nut is a good investment. You can still use the old housing, but you will need to get a new pulley or under cut the old one on the face near the houseing to clear the nut.

      My old lathe was a second hand purchase some 20+ years ago. It's cut a lot of chips of various materials over the years. They are tough little machines.