Re: [taigtools] Re: Need help in Orange County, CA

  • steve_fornelius2000
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 22, 2013
      You actually have a JC that has a shop program? Seems its a dying
      offering because the schools get paid by the seat, and you can cram a lot more
      people into a classroom than a shop.

      Steve

      In a message dated 4/22/2013 8:39:18 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      valkcapt@... writes:

      Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. I have purchased many books
      and dvds, some focused on the Taig and some more general, and watched many
      of the Tubal Cain youtube videos and every Taig youtube I could get my
      hands on. I've spent hours reading and watching this material. I think, as some
      of you have hinted, I should be starting on simpler projects, and maybe
      projects made out of plastic. I'm stepping back and starting over again with
      this in mind. Also, I am enrolling in the introductory class for the Machine
      Technology curriculum in the local junior college. I'll get there -- I am
      just impatient. That's why I was hoping to find someone local to see how
      he/she uses the Taig. Thanks again.

      --- In _taigtools@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:taigtools@yahoogroups.com) ,
      "valkcapt" <valkcapt@...> wrote:

      > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I
      have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably
      unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or
      southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more
      importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.

      zZ0lkAzQwNDYwBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTM2NjY4ODM1Ng--?act=reply&mess
      ageNum=40460) _Reply to sender _
      (mailto:valkcapt@...?subject=Re:%20Need%20help%20in%20Orange%20County,%20CA) _Reply to group _
      (mailto:taigtools@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20Need%20help%20in%20Orange%20County,%20CA)
      _Start a New Topic_
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaWhpZ2I1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2OTM2MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA3BH
      NlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTM2NjY4ODM1Ng--) _Messages in this topic_
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/message/40443;_ylc=X3oDMTM2Z2RkYmJm
      BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2OTM2MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA3BG1zZ0lkAzQwNDYw
      BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTM2NjY4ODM1NgR0cGNJZAM0MDQ0Mw--) (15)
      Recent Activity:
      * _New Members_
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMGoxYnYzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2OTM2MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA
      3BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEzNjY2ODgzNTY-?o=6) 3
      _Visit Your Group_
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaDFqa2VnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2OTM2MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA3BHNlYwN2dG
      wEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTM2NjY4ODM1Ng--)

      taigtools@yahoogroups.com

      MARKETPLACE

      )
      Switch to: _Text-Only_
      (mailto:taigtools-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional) , _Daily Digest_
      Use_ (http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/) • _Send us Feedback _
      (mailto:ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com?subject=Feedback on the redesigned
      individual mail v1)

      .

    • george
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 23, 2013
        when i went to trade school, one of the least emphasized chapters was safety, which was Chapter 1. Now that i've gone through life and known of injuries, some fatalities, busted knuckles or just scars of injuries, I come to realize that was the most important chapter.  Unfortunetly some injuries would've been prevented had they thought about it a second and not been in such a hurry.

        ________________________________

        --- In mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com, "valkcapt" <valkcapt@...> wrote:

        > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.

      • Shawn Woolley
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 23, 2013
          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "valkcapt" <valkcapt@...> wrote:

          > Lots of good info but one thing I never read but what are you cutting. There are some materials that cut well on the Taig and some that are a real bear to get a decent surface out of. And if your cutting wood as in pen making cutting tool needs are very different for different woods as are speed requirements. I started out cutting an aluminum that was a nightmare and got very discouraged until I got a different material that cut with so much better results it didn't seem to be the same machine. I also watched a ton of different video's etc and was just feeling worse. I bought a different aluminum and good turning brass and all my problems were over and my parts started looking like the ones in the videos.

          Sent from my iPad>

          > Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. I have purchased many books and dvds, some focused on the Taig and some more general, and watched many of the Tubal Cain youtube videos and every Taig youtube I could get my hands on. I've spent hours reading and watching this material. I think, as some of you have hinted, I should be starting on simpler projects, and maybe projects made out of plastic. I'm stepping back and starting over again with this in mind. Also, I am enrolling in the introductory class for the Machine Technology curriculum in the local junior college. I'll get there -- I am just impatient. That's why I was hoping to find someone local to see how he/she uses the Taig. Thanks again.
          >
          > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "valkcapt" <valkcapt@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.

        • valkcapt
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 1, 2013
            This is just a post script to my prior post.  As suggested by some, I enrolled in a Introductory Lathe/Mill course at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, California.  Now I am taking a more advanced Lathe course.  This has been a wonderful learning experience.  However, the Taig requires different techniques than the big machines at the college, so I sometimes try out the college projects at home to see how to do them on the Taig.  I'm learning a lot. One thing I've found is that, as someone that is basically starting with almost no knowledge about machining, even the basic books were over my head.  What I would have liked to see is a series of easy projects with information on what tools I need to complete each project.  Then I would have liked to know, not only how to do it right, but what mistakes I might try to avoid.  As it is, I read the basic books over and over again, and finally I acquire enough knowledge to understand what I'm being told.   I'm thinking about creating a website geared for the complete newbee on the Taig, with a progressive learning/doing experience.  Then because that could be the blind leading the blind, opening it for feedback from the more experienced Taig machinists on any potential misinformation I provide, or alternative ways to accomplish it.  What I would like is some feedback pn whether the effort is worth it.  Are there enough Taig newbees appearing on the scene each month that this service would be needed?  Or is the target audience so small, or most folks just smarter/more adept at mechanical things than me, so this service isn't needed at all.  If the former, I'm willing to put something together.  If the latter, well I'll just keep on plugging along. In any case, this site has been very helpful. Thank you all, Captvalk (Terry)   --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, <shawnwoolley@...> wrote: --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com , "valkcapt" <valkcapt@...> wrote:

            > Lots of good info but one thing I never read but what are you cutting. There are some materials that cut well on the Taig and some that are a real bear to get a decent surface out of. And if your cutting wood as in pen making cutting tool needs are very different for different woods as are speed requirements. I started out cutting an aluminum that was a nightmare and got very discouraged until I got a different material that cut with so much better results it didn't seem to be the same machine. I also watched a ton of different video's etc and was just feeling worse. I bought a different aluminum and good turning brass and all my problems were over and my parts started looking like the ones in the videos.

            Sent from my iPad>

            > Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. I have purchased many books and dvds, some focused on the Taig and some more general, and watched many of the Tubal Cain youtube videos and every Taig youtube I could get my hands on. I've spent hours reading and watching this material. I think, as some of you have hinted, I should be starting on simpler projects, and maybe projects made out of plastic. I'm stepping back and starting over again with this in mind. Also, I am enrolling in the introductory class for the Machine Technology curriculum in the local junior college. I'll get there -- I am just impatient. That's why I was hoping to find someone local to see how he/she uses the Taig. Thanks again.
            >
            > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com , "valkcapt" <valkcapt@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.

          • retrosurfer1959
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 1, 2013
              Boy sounds like you've done it right I learned primarily from two DVD's from a gentleman named Jose Rodriguez if I remember his name right.   Kind of a monotone voice and lots of single camera handheld shots but he had some great data.   I was never able to find classes until recently until a large Makers Mar moved into the area with a great set of tools and helpful people with a lot of experience.  they've been very helpful i noticed quickly it is very different on a big lathe or mill but I have a Unimat which was my first lathe and needs even different cutting bit designs based on it's much lower speed and lack of power.    --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, <valkcapt@...> wrote: This is just a post script to my prior post.  As suggested by some, I enrolled in a Introductory Lathe/Mill course at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, California.  Now I am taking a more advanced Lathe course.  This has been a wonderful learning experience.  However, the Taig requires different techniques than the big machines at the college, so I sometimes try out the college projects at home to see how to do them on the Taig.  I'm learning a lot. One thing I've found is that, as someone that is basically starting with almost no knowledge about machining, even the basic books were over my head.  What I would have liked to see is a series of easy projects with information on what tools I need to complete each project.  Then I would have liked to know, not only how to do it right, but what mistakes I might try to avoid.  As it is, I read the basic books over and over again, and finally I acquire enough knowledge to understand what I'm being told.   I'm thinking about creating a website geared for the complete newbee on the Taig, with a progressive learning/doing experience.  Then because that could be the blind leading the blind, opening it for feedback from the more experienced Taig machinists on any potential misinformation I provide, or alternative ways to accomplish it.  What I would like is some feedback pn whether the effort is worth it.  Are there enough Taig newbees appearing on the scene each month that this service would be needed?  Or is the target audience so small, or most folks just smarter/more adept at mechanical things than me, so this service isn't needed at all.  If the former, I'm willing to put something together.  If the latter, well I'll just keep on plugging along. In any case, this site has been very helpful. Thank you all, Captvalk (Terry)   --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com , <shawnwoolley@...> wrote: --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com , "valkcapt" <valkcapt@...> wrote:

              > Lots of good info but one thing I never read but what are you cutting. There are some materials that cut well on the Taig and some that are a real bear to get a decent surface out of. And if your cutting wood as in pen making cutting tool needs are very different for different woods as are speed requirements. I started out cutting an aluminum that was a nightmare and got very discouraged until I got a different material that cut with so much better results it didn't seem to be the same machine. I also watched a ton of different video's etc and was just feeling worse. I bought a different aluminum and good turning brass and all my problems were over and my parts started looking like the ones in the videos.

              Sent from my iPad>

              > Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. I have purchased many books and dvds, some focused on the Taig and some more general, and watched many of the Tubal Cain youtube videos and every Taig youtube I could get my hands on. I've spent hours reading and watching this material. I think, as some of you have hinted, I should be starting on simpler projects, and maybe projects made out of plastic. I'm stepping back and starting over again with this in mind. Also, I am enrolling in the introductory class for the Machine Technology curriculum in the local junior college. I'll get there -- I am just impatient. That's why I was hoping to find someone local to see how he/she uses the Taig. Thanks again.
              >
              > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com , "valkcapt" <valkcapt@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.

            • ED MAISEY
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 1, 2013
                Valkcapt,

                    this is just my own suggestion, I think you would be better off to get into an email communication with a willing person who has many years experience in general machining, and not rely on a multitude of different answers to your questions on how to, because you will be overwhelmed by the suggestions, this will allow you to concentrate on what you need to learn, which is the basics, doesn't matter if the description or advise from that person could be done in several different ways, which is what you will get if the group intervenes, I think you would be better off if you went one on one with an experienced machinist,

                This suggestion or words of mine are not meant to cause any friction within the group, but only to help solve Valkcapt's problem,

                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 1, 2013
                  I'd suggest looking at the youtube videos from the India Institute of
                  Technology. I watched two semesters worth of classes in machining and learned
                  a lot. Free and you can take your own time watching.

                  Steve

                  (mailto:taigtools@yahoogroups.com) , <shawnwoolley@...> wrote: --- In _taigtools@yahoogroups.com_