Re: [taigtools] Re: Need help in Orange County, CA

  • Bill M
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 22 12:46 PM
      The MIT series is at techtv.mit.edu/videos/142-machine-shop-1

      Google Taig Lathe You Tube for some nice "How to's".

      Google lathe or mill or machining for lots of ideas.

      The very best site for Taig lathe and mills are at Nick Carter's web site:
      cartertools.com

      What specific problems are you having?  Holding work?  Making simple cuts? Selecting or positioning tool bits?

      The lathe was much, much easier for me to grasp than the mill.  I suggest you start on the lathe.  Much of what you learn will be applicable to the mill when you get to it.

      First of all, be safe!!!  Run your lathe at the slowest speed it will go.  Tighten your work securely in the chuck.  Tighten your cutting tool in the holder securely.  Tightenthe toolholder securely onto the cross slide. (Do you see a pattern here?)  No need to strip any threads but tighten all nuts and screws firmly.

      Take the lightest (most shallow) cuts until you learn what you and the machine can handle.

      Read!  Read!  Read!  I found two vocational school textbooks in a used book store that I have kept near my bench for many years for reference.  Still use them regularly (Machine Tool Technology and Basic Machine Technology; both are out of print but any basic textbook will probably be valuable).

      Ask questions.  I read every forum I can find.  When I find a helpful one, I bookmark it and go back again and again.

      Look and other people's work and what kind of things they are doing (That is one of the many joys of the Nick Carter site).  Everybody started ignorant.  No one was born with lathe or milling skills!

      Have fun!  The sheer pleasure of carving metal and making things is a reward I have never failed to enjoy.

      Stay in touch.  Good luck.

      Bill

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 22 4:27 PM
        Pick up or make some machinable wax (much easier to make than you'd think-- can be done with candle molds). Use that, instead of metals, to get started. That way, you don't have to worry about setting the right speeds/feeds at first and you're less likely to break bits. Plus it's recyclable-- so you can just take your leftover mess and melt it down again to try again.

        ________________________________

        Great idea! Definitely interested in "down load all the workshop practice series books on the free bookspot." How do I find them?

        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "dethrow2" <dethrow2@...> wrote:

        > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "valkcapt" <valkcapt@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling.  I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try.  Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right?  Thanks.
        > >hello i live in el paso tx. one thing that i would do first if you have no knowledge of machining is to get on line and down load all the workshop practice series books on the free bookspot. also carter tools nick carter has a super website.
        > read first than play other wise well you know.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Low Compression
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 22 7:50 PM
          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "valkcapt" <valkcapt@...> wrote:

          > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.

          You might consider finding a local community college that offers machine technology classes. Especially if you can find one taught by an experienced machinist.

          I spent a year attending night school classes and being taught by a guy who had some of his work left on the moon by the Apollo astronauts. The style of machining they taught there was geared towards a job shop and we learned everything from making measurements to grinding tool bits and how to use the machine tools to a fairly high standard.

          Given how much information is just plain wrong on the Internet (and a lot of good stuff too but you don't have the experience to tell the difference) this is a great way to obtain a proper introduction to using your machine tools correctly.
        • valkcapt
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 22 8:39 PM
            Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. I have purchased many books and dvds, some focused on the Taig and some more general, and watched many of the Tubal Cain youtube videos and every Taig youtube I could get my hands on. I've spent hours reading and watching this material. I think, as some of you have hinted, I should be starting on simpler projects, and maybe projects made out of plastic. I'm stepping back and starting over again with this in mind. Also, I am enrolling in the introductory class for the Machine Technology curriculum in the local junior college. I'll get there -- I am just impatient. That's why I was hoping to find someone local to see how he/she uses the Taig. Thanks again.

            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "valkcapt" <valkcapt@...> wrote:

            > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.

          • steve_fornelius2000
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 22 11:29 PM
              You actually have a JC that has a shop program? Seems its a dying
              offering because the schools get paid by the seat, and you can cram a lot more
              people into a classroom than a shop.

              Steve

              --- In _taigtools@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:taigtools@yahoogroups.com) ,
              "valkcapt" <valkcapt@...> wrote:

              > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I
              have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably
              unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or
              southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more
              importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.

              zZ0lkAzQwNDYwBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTM2NjY4ODM1Ng--?act=reply&mess
              ageNum=40460) _Reply to sender _
              (mailto:valkcapt@...?subject=Re:%20Need%20help%20in%20Orange%20County,%20CA) _Reply to group _
              (mailto:taigtools@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20Need%20help%20in%20Orange%20County,%20CA)
              _Start a New Topic_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaWhpZ2I1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2OTM2MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA3BH
              NlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTM2NjY4ODM1Ng--) _Messages in this topic_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/message/40443;_ylc=X3oDMTM2Z2RkYmJm
              BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2OTM2MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA3BG1zZ0lkAzQwNDYw
              BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTM2NjY4ODM1NgR0cGNJZAM0MDQ0Mw--) (15)
              Recent Activity:
              * _New Members_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMGoxYnYzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2OTM2MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA
              3BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEzNjY2ODgzNTY-?o=6) 3
              _Visit Your Group_
              (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaDFqa2VnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2OTM2MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA3BHNlYwN2dG
              wEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTM2NjY4ODM1Ng--)

              taigtools@yahoogroups.com

              MARKETPLACE

              )
              Switch to: _Text-Only_
              (mailto:taigtools-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional) , _Daily Digest_
              Use_ (http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/) • _Send us Feedback _
              (mailto:ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com?subject=Feedback on the redesigned
              individual mail v1)

              .

            • george
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 23 12:09 AM
                when i went to trade school, one of the least emphasized chapters was safety, which was Chapter 1. Now that i've gone through life and known of injuries, some fatalities, busted knuckles or just scars of injuries, I come to realize that was the most important chapter.  Unfortunetly some injuries would've been prevented had they thought about it a second and not been in such a hurry.

                ________________________________

                --- In mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com, "valkcapt" <valkcapt@...> wrote:

                > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.

              • Shawn Woolley
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 23 12:21 AM
                  --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "valkcapt" <valkcapt@...> wrote:

                  > Lots of good info but one thing I never read but what are you cutting. There are some materials that cut well on the Taig and some that are a real bear to get a decent surface out of. And if your cutting wood as in pen making cutting tool needs are very different for different woods as are speed requirements. I started out cutting an aluminum that was a nightmare and got very discouraged until I got a different material that cut with so much better results it didn't seem to be the same machine. I also watched a ton of different video's etc and was just feeling worse. I bought a different aluminum and good turning brass and all my problems were over and my parts started looking like the ones in the videos.

                  Sent from my iPad>

                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 1, 2013
                    This is just a post script to my prior post.  As suggested by some, I enrolled in a Introductory Lathe/Mill course at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, California.  Now I am taking a more advanced Lathe course.  This has been a wonderful learning experience.  However, the Taig requires different techniques than the big machines at the college, so I sometimes try out the college projects at home to see how to do them on the Taig.  I'm learning a lot. One thing I've found is that, as someone that is basically starting with almost no knowledge about machining, even the basic books were over my head.  What I would have liked to see is a series of easy projects with information on what tools I need to complete each project.  Then I would have liked to know, not only how to do it right, but what mistakes I might try to avoid.  As it is, I read the basic books over and over again, and finally I acquire enough knowledge to understand what I'm being told.   I'm thinking about creating a website geared for the complete newbee on the Taig, with a progressive learning/doing experience.  Then because that could be the blind leading the blind, opening it for feedback from the more experienced Taig machinists on any potential misinformation I provide, or alternative ways to accomplish it.  What I would like is some feedback pn whether the effort is worth it.  Are there enough Taig newbees appearing on the scene each month that this service would be needed?  Or is the target audience so small, or most folks just smarter/more adept at mechanical things than me, so this service isn't needed at all.  If the former, I'm willing to put something together.  If the latter, well I'll just keep on plugging along. In any case, this site has been very helpful. Thank you all, Captvalk (Terry)   --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, <shawnwoolley@...> wrote: --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com , "valkcapt" <valkcapt@...> wrote:

                    > Lots of good info but one thing I never read but what are you cutting. There are some materials that cut well on the Taig and some that are a real bear to get a decent surface out of. And if your cutting wood as in pen making cutting tool needs are very different for different woods as are speed requirements. I started out cutting an aluminum that was a nightmare and got very discouraged until I got a different material that cut with so much better results it didn't seem to be the same machine. I also watched a ton of different video's etc and was just feeling worse. I bought a different aluminum and good turning brass and all my problems were over and my parts started looking like the ones in the videos.

                    Sent from my iPad>

                    > Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. I have purchased many books and dvds, some focused on the Taig and some more general, and watched many of the Tubal Cain youtube videos and every Taig youtube I could get my hands on. I've spent hours reading and watching this material. I think, as some of you have hinted, I should be starting on simpler projects, and maybe projects made out of plastic. I'm stepping back and starting over again with this in mind. Also, I am enrolling in the introductory class for the Machine Technology curriculum in the local junior college. I'll get there -- I am just impatient. That's why I was hoping to find someone local to see how he/she uses the Taig. Thanks again.
                    >
                    > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com , "valkcapt" <valkcapt@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.

                  • retrosurfer1959
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 1, 2013
                      Boy sounds like you've done it right I learned primarily from two DVD's from a gentleman named Jose Rodriguez if I remember his name right.   Kind of a monotone voice and lots of single camera handheld shots but he had some great data.   I was never able to find classes until recently until a large Makers Mar moved into the area with a great set of tools and helpful people with a lot of experience.  they've been very helpful i noticed quickly it is very different on a big lathe or mill but I have a Unimat which was my first lathe and needs even different cutting bit designs based on it's much lower speed and lack of power.    --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, <valkcapt@...> wrote: This is just a post script to my prior post.  As suggested by some, I enrolled in a Introductory Lathe/Mill course at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, California.  Now I am taking a more advanced Lathe course.  This has been a wonderful learning experience.  However, the Taig requires different techniques than the big machines at the college, so I sometimes try out the college projects at home to see how to do them on the Taig.  I'm learning a lot. One thing I've found is that, as someone that is basically starting with almost no knowledge about machining, even the basic books were over my head.  What I would have liked to see is a series of easy projects with information on what tools I need to complete each project.  Then I would have liked to know, not only how to do it right, but what mistakes I might try to avoid.  As it is, I read the basic books over and over again, and finally I acquire enough knowledge to understand what I'm being told.   I'm thinking about creating a website geared for the complete newbee on the Taig, with a progressive learning/doing experience.  Then because that could be the blind leading the blind, opening it for feedback from the more experienced Taig machinists on any potential misinformation I provide, or alternative ways to accomplish it.  What I would like is some feedback pn whether the effort is worth it.  Are there enough Taig newbees appearing on the scene each month that this service would be needed?  Or is the target audience so small, or most folks just smarter/more adept at mechanical things than me, so this service isn't needed at all.  If the former, I'm willing to put something together.  If the latter, well I'll just keep on plugging along. In any case, this site has been very helpful. Thank you all, Captvalk (Terry)   --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com , <shawnwoolley@...> wrote: --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com , "valkcapt" <valkcapt@...> wrote:

                      > Lots of good info but one thing I never read but what are you cutting. There are some materials that cut well on the Taig and some that are a real bear to get a decent surface out of. And if your cutting wood as in pen making cutting tool needs are very different for different woods as are speed requirements. I started out cutting an aluminum that was a nightmare and got very discouraged until I got a different material that cut with so much better results it didn't seem to be the same machine. I also watched a ton of different video's etc and was just feeling worse. I bought a different aluminum and good turning brass and all my problems were over and my parts started looking like the ones in the videos.

                      Sent from my iPad>

                      > Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. I have purchased many books and dvds, some focused on the Taig and some more general, and watched many of the Tubal Cain youtube videos and every Taig youtube I could get my hands on. I've spent hours reading and watching this material. I think, as some of you have hinted, I should be starting on simpler projects, and maybe projects made out of plastic. I'm stepping back and starting over again with this in mind. Also, I am enrolling in the introductory class for the Machine Technology curriculum in the local junior college. I'll get there -- I am just impatient. That's why I was hoping to find someone local to see how he/she uses the Taig. Thanks again.
                      >
                      > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com , "valkcapt" <valkcapt@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.

                    • ED MAISEY
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 1, 2013
                        Valkcapt,

                            this is just my own suggestion, I think you would be better off to get into an email communication with a willing person who has many years experience in general machining, and not rely on a multitude of different answers to your questions on how to, because you will be overwhelmed by the suggestions, this will allow you to concentrate on what you need to learn, which is the basics, doesn't matter if the description or advise from that person could be done in several different ways, which is what you will get if the group intervenes, I think you would be better off if you went one on one with an experienced machinist,

                        This suggestion or words of mine are not meant to cause any friction within the group, but only to help solve Valkcapt's problem,

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 1, 2013
                          I'd suggest looking at the youtube videos from the India Institute of
                          Technology. I watched two semesters worth of classes in machining and learned
                          a lot. Free and you can take your own time watching.

                          Steve

                          (mailto:taigtools@yahoogroups.com) , <shawnwoolley@...> wrote: --- In _taigtools@yahoogroups.com_