Need help in Orange County, CA

  • valkcapt
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 20 6:20 PM
      I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.
    • dethrow2
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 21 8:49 AM
        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "valkcapt" <valkcapt@...> wrote:

        > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.
        >hello i live in el paso tx. one thing that i would do first if you have no knowledge of machining is to get on line and down load all the workshop practice series books on the free bookspot. also carter tools nick carter has a super website.
        read first than play other wise well you know.
      • dethrow2
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 21 9:02 AM
          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "dethrow2" <dethrow2@...> wrote:

          > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "valkcapt" <valkcapt@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.
          > >hello i live in el paso tx. one thing that i would do first if you have no knowledge of machining is to get on line and down load all the workshop practice series books on the free bookspot. also carter tools nick carter has a super website.
          > read first than play other wise well you know.

          oh by the way im not trying to be a wise ass , thats how i learned . i started two years ago bought a lathe and mill thinking i could make anything well two years later and a box full of scraps, things fit into place. there is a wealth of imformation on the net depends what your level is and what ya wanna know also you-tube is a great place to start.
        • Caparo
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 21 9:54 AM
            On Sunday 21 April 2013 02:20:12 valkcapt wrote:
            > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have
            > been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably
            > unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County
            > CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong,
            > or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.

            Hi,
            my friends in the bay area suggested you try asking at:-

            http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forum.php

            My friends did not know an adult/community college/makerspace/ hackerspace
            near you. :-{

            --
            TTFN
            Caparo.
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 21 10:36 AM

              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 21 11:39 AM
                Do yourself a favor, avoid cnczone.com
                I posted a contribution (about 4th axis machining wheels for automobiles) about 8 years ago.  I was deleted.  Reason: none.
                CNC zone is not a democracy, it is a kingdom run by individuals with more respect for their own point of view than that of free exchange of ideas.

                ________________________________
                I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.

              • luv2bsailin
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 21 4:32 PM
                  Lot's of good info on tabletop machining on this site:
                  http://www.sherline.com/

                  --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "dethrow2" <dethrow2@...> wrote:

                  > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Caparo <caparo@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > On Sunday 21 April 2013 02:20:12 valkcapt wrote:
                  > > > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have
                  > > > been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably
                  > > > unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County
                  > > > CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong,
                  > > > or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.
                  > > >

                  > > Hi,
                  > > my friends in the bay area suggested you try asking at:-
                  > >
                  > > http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forum.php
                  > >
                  > > My friends did not know an adult/community college/makerspace/ hackerspace
                  > > near you. :-{
                  > > i have no idea what level you are at so if there is any books or anything i can help with feel free to ask me james
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > TTFN
                  > > Caparo.

                • george
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 21 7:49 PM
                    Taig website has a link with lots of great help. GO take a look. Or just ask the group.
                    There isn't a limit on questions.

                    george

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 21 10:09 PM
                      Since you are in a large metropolitan area, look in the phonebook for a
                      local small machine shop. It may cost you a couple of bucks but see if you
                      can get one of the machinists to show you the basics. A small machine shop
                      is usually very receptive to a case of cold ones. Second purchase a copy
                      of machinist's handbook or Machinery's Handbook, two separate books. They
                      give you allot of useful information.

                      The tool must be centered on the ways use a small feeler gauge or ruler to
                      go between the end of the tool and the stock to be turned. Shim the tool
                      until it is exactly perpendicular to the center line of the stock. Feed
                      gently right to left, remember the amount you remove is twice the measured
                      amount since you are taking it off the circumference. Facing, square the
                      tool to the end of the stock and move slowly from outside to inside, the
                      amount you take off is not doubled in this case.

                      Go to the Little Machine Shop, or http://unimat.homestead.com/index.html
                      look at the Unimat instructions, or Varmint Al's website all have very good
                      information. A lathe is a lathe is a lathe, doesn't matter the size, they
                      all make chips. I have a Taig, a Unimat DB, a Clarke Metalworker 7x12, my
                      Unimat gets the majority of the work because it is the smallest of the group
                      and the easiest to use. Start out with something simple, pegs for a
                      cribbage board, simple bushings out of plastic, go buy a couple of chunks of
                      PVC pipe, simple and easy to cut. The tooling has 6 basic flavors, left
                      hand, right hand, parting, boring (same as right hand only left facing,
                      outside thread (60deg sharp point), inside thread (60deg sharp point left
                      facing). Harbor Freight has a basic set of tooling and some very small
                      carbide stuff for around 20 bucks, Carbide needs high speed for good
                      cutting. High Speed Steel is best, you need a good diamond stone to hand
                      sharpen them, grinders work but unless you are well conditioned in their use
                      you can cause more damage then a good hand stone.

                      I go to the local scrap yard to buy aluminum for play they have CNC castoffs
                      from a local machine shop.

                      I am an Instrumentation and Controls Technician by trade, I had a machinist
                      at work check me out on a 12 X 108 with all the bells and whistles, gave me
                      a few pointers and shortcuts. I can use it for threading and heavy work,
                      for right now I use taps and dies to cut threads even though my 7x12 has a
                      powered feed and change gears, I know the technique just haven't had the
                      need to try.

                      I hope this is some help.
                      pat

                      I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have
                      been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably
                      unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County
                      CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong,
                      or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • steve_fornelius2000
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 22 12:21 AM
                        Also, you can look at the India Institute of Technology YouTube videos.
                        They have semesters of lectures (though the accents can be a little
                        difficult at first), but they go from the basics through as much as you'd probably
                        need to know as far as tooling is concerned.

                        Steve

                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 22 3:19 AM
                          Great idea! Definitely interested in "down load all the workshop practice series books on the free bookspot." How do I find them?

                          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "dethrow2" <dethrow2@...> wrote:

                          > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "valkcapt" <valkcapt@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.
                          > >hello i live in el paso tx. one thing that i would do first if you have no knowledge of machining is to get on line and down load all the workshop practice series books on the free bookspot. also carter tools nick carter has a super website.
                          > read first than play other wise well you know.

                        • Bill M
                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 22 12:46 PM
                            The MIT series is at techtv.mit.edu/videos/142-machine-shop-1

                            Google Taig Lathe You Tube for some nice "How to's".

                            Google lathe or mill or machining for lots of ideas.

                            The very best site for Taig lathe and mills are at Nick Carter's web site:
                            cartertools.com

                            What specific problems are you having?  Holding work?  Making simple cuts? Selecting or positioning tool bits?

                            The lathe was much, much easier for me to grasp than the mill.  I suggest you start on the lathe.  Much of what you learn will be applicable to the mill when you get to it.

                            First of all, be safe!!!  Run your lathe at the slowest speed it will go.  Tighten your work securely in the chuck.  Tighten your cutting tool in the holder securely.  Tightenthe toolholder securely onto the cross slide. (Do you see a pattern here?)  No need to strip any threads but tighten all nuts and screws firmly.

                            Take the lightest (most shallow) cuts until you learn what you and the machine can handle.

                            Read!  Read!  Read!  I found two vocational school textbooks in a used book store that I have kept near my bench for many years for reference.  Still use them regularly (Machine Tool Technology and Basic Machine Technology; both are out of print but any basic textbook will probably be valuable).

                            Ask questions.  I read every forum I can find.  When I find a helpful one, I bookmark it and go back again and again.

                            Look and other people's work and what kind of things they are doing (That is one of the many joys of the Nick Carter site).  Everybody started ignorant.  No one was born with lathe or milling skills!

                            Have fun!  The sheer pleasure of carving metal and making things is a reward I have never failed to enjoy.

                            Stay in touch.  Good luck.

                            Bill

                            ________________________________
                            Great idea! Definitely interested in "down load all the workshop practice series books on the free bookspot." How do I find them?

                            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "dethrow2" <dethrow2@...> wrote:

                            > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "valkcapt" <valkcapt@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling.  I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try.  Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right?  Thanks.
                            > >hello i live in el paso tx. one thing that i would do first if you have no knowledge of machining is to get on line and down load all the workshop practice series books on the free bookspot. also carter tools nick carter has a super website.
                            > read first than play other wise well you know.

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Max Cato
                            Message 13 of 22 , Apr 22 4:27 PM
                              Pick up or make some machinable wax (much easier to make than you'd think-- can be done with candle molds). Use that, instead of metals, to get started. That way, you don't have to worry about setting the right speeds/feeds at first and you're less likely to break bits. Plus it's recyclable-- so you can just take your leftover mess and melt it down again to try again.

                              ________________________________

                              Great idea! Definitely interested in "down load all the workshop practice series books on the free bookspot." How do I find them?

                              --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "dethrow2" <dethrow2@...> wrote:

                              > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "valkcapt" <valkcapt@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling.  I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try.  Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right?  Thanks.
                              > >hello i live in el paso tx. one thing that i would do first if you have no knowledge of machining is to get on line and down load all the workshop practice series books on the free bookspot. also carter tools nick carter has a super website.
                              > read first than play other wise well you know.

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                              Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Low Compression
                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 22 7:50 PM
                                --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "valkcapt" <valkcapt@...> wrote:

                                > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.

                                You might consider finding a local community college that offers machine technology classes. Especially if you can find one taught by an experienced machinist.

                                I spent a year attending night school classes and being taught by a guy who had some of his work left on the moon by the Apollo astronauts. The style of machining they taught there was geared towards a job shop and we learned everything from making measurements to grinding tool bits and how to use the machine tools to a fairly high standard.

                                Given how much information is just plain wrong on the Internet (and a lot of good stuff too but you don't have the experience to tell the difference) this is a great way to obtain a proper introduction to using your machine tools correctly.
                              • valkcapt
                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 22 8:39 PM
                                  Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. I have purchased many books and dvds, some focused on the Taig and some more general, and watched many of the Tubal Cain youtube videos and every Taig youtube I could get my hands on. I've spent hours reading and watching this material. I think, as some of you have hinted, I should be starting on simpler projects, and maybe projects made out of plastic. I'm stepping back and starting over again with this in mind. Also, I am enrolling in the introductory class for the Machine Technology curriculum in the local junior college. I'll get there -- I am just impatient. That's why I was hoping to find someone local to see how he/she uses the Taig. Thanks again.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Apr 22 11:29 PM
                                    You actually have a JC that has a shop program? Seems its a dying
                                    offering because the schools get paid by the seat, and you can cram a lot more
                                    people into a classroom than a shop.

                                    Steve

                                    --- In _taigtools@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:taigtools@yahoogroups.com) ,
                                    "valkcapt" <valkcapt@...> wrote:

                                    > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I
                                    have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably
                                    unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or
                                    southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more
                                    importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.

                                    zZ0lkAzQwNDYwBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTM2NjY4ODM1Ng--?act=reply&mess
                                    ageNum=40460) _Reply to sender _
                                    (mailto:valkcapt@...?subject=Re:%20Need%20help%20in%20Orange%20County,%20CA) _Reply to group _
                                    (mailto:taigtools@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re:%20Need%20help%20in%20Orange%20County,%20CA)
                                    _Start a New Topic_
                                    (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaWhpZ2I1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2OTM2MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA3BH
                                    NlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTM2NjY4ODM1Ng--) _Messages in this topic_
                                    (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/message/40443;_ylc=X3oDMTM2Z2RkYmJm
                                    BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2OTM2MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA3BG1zZ0lkAzQwNDYw
                                    BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTM2NjY4ODM1NgR0cGNJZAM0MDQ0Mw--) (15)
                                    Recent Activity:
                                    * _New Members_
                                    (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmMGoxYnYzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2OTM2MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA
                                    3BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEzNjY2ODgzNTY-?o=6) 3
                                    _Visit Your Group_
                                    (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taigtools;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaDFqa2VnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE2OTM2MDUEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDYzMTA3BHNlYwN2dG
                                    wEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTM2NjY4ODM1Ng--)

                                    taigtools@yahoogroups.com

                                    MARKETPLACE

                                    )
                                    Switch to: _Text-Only_
                                    (mailto:taigtools-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional) , _Daily Digest_
                                    Use_ (http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/) • _Send us Feedback _
                                    (mailto:ygroupsnotifications@yahoogroups.com?subject=Feedback on the redesigned
                                    individual mail v1)

                                    .

                                  • george
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 23 12:09 AM
                                      when i went to trade school, one of the least emphasized chapters was safety, which was Chapter 1. Now that i've gone through life and known of injuries, some fatalities, busted knuckles or just scars of injuries, I come to realize that was the most important chapter.  Unfortunetly some injuries would've been prevented had they thought about it a second and not been in such a hurry.

                                      ________________________________

                                      --- In mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com, "valkcapt" <valkcapt@...> wrote:

                                      > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.

                                    • Shawn Woolley
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Apr 23 12:21 AM
                                        --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "valkcapt" <valkcapt@...> wrote:

                                        > Lots of good info but one thing I never read but what are you cutting. There are some materials that cut well on the Taig and some that are a real bear to get a decent surface out of. And if your cutting wood as in pen making cutting tool needs are very different for different woods as are speed requirements. I started out cutting an aluminum that was a nightmare and got very discouraged until I got a different material that cut with so much better results it didn't seem to be the same machine. I also watched a ton of different video's etc and was just feeling worse. I bought a different aluminum and good turning brass and all my problems were over and my parts started looking like the ones in the videos.

                                        Sent from my iPad>

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 1, 2013
                                          This is just a post script to my prior post.  As suggested by some, I enrolled in a Introductory Lathe/Mill course at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, California.  Now I am taking a more advanced Lathe course.  This has been a wonderful learning experience.  However, the Taig requires different techniques than the big machines at the college, so I sometimes try out the college projects at home to see how to do them on the Taig.  I'm learning a lot. One thing I've found is that, as someone that is basically starting with almost no knowledge about machining, even the basic books were over my head.  What I would have liked to see is a series of easy projects with information on what tools I need to complete each project.  Then I would have liked to know, not only how to do it right, but what mistakes I might try to avoid.  As it is, I read the basic books over and over again, and finally I acquire enough knowledge to understand what I'm being told.   I'm thinking about creating a website geared for the complete newbee on the Taig, with a progressive learning/doing experience.  Then because that could be the blind leading the blind, opening it for feedback from the more experienced Taig machinists on any potential misinformation I provide, or alternative ways to accomplish it.  What I would like is some feedback pn whether the effort is worth it.  Are there enough Taig newbees appearing on the scene each month that this service would be needed?  Or is the target audience so small, or most folks just smarter/more adept at mechanical things than me, so this service isn't needed at all.  If the former, I'm willing to put something together.  If the latter, well I'll just keep on plugging along. In any case, this site has been very helpful. Thank you all, Captvalk (Terry)   --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, <shawnwoolley@...> wrote: --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com , "valkcapt" <valkcapt@...> wrote:

                                          > Lots of good info but one thing I never read but what are you cutting. There are some materials that cut well on the Taig and some that are a real bear to get a decent surface out of. And if your cutting wood as in pen making cutting tool needs are very different for different woods as are speed requirements. I started out cutting an aluminum that was a nightmare and got very discouraged until I got a different material that cut with so much better results it didn't seem to be the same machine. I also watched a ton of different video's etc and was just feeling worse. I bought a different aluminum and good turning brass and all my problems were over and my parts started looking like the ones in the videos.

                                          Sent from my iPad>

                                          > Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. I have purchased many books and dvds, some focused on the Taig and some more general, and watched many of the Tubal Cain youtube videos and every Taig youtube I could get my hands on. I've spent hours reading and watching this material. I think, as some of you have hinted, I should be starting on simpler projects, and maybe projects made out of plastic. I'm stepping back and starting over again with this in mind. Also, I am enrolling in the introductory class for the Machine Technology curriculum in the local junior college. I'll get there -- I am just impatient. That's why I was hoping to find someone local to see how he/she uses the Taig. Thanks again.
                                          >
                                          > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com , "valkcapt" <valkcapt@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.

                                        • retrosurfer1959
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 1, 2013
                                            Boy sounds like you've done it right I learned primarily from two DVD's from a gentleman named Jose Rodriguez if I remember his name right.   Kind of a monotone voice and lots of single camera handheld shots but he had some great data.   I was never able to find classes until recently until a large Makers Mar moved into the area with a great set of tools and helpful people with a lot of experience.  they've been very helpful i noticed quickly it is very different on a big lathe or mill but I have a Unimat which was my first lathe and needs even different cutting bit designs based on it's much lower speed and lack of power.    --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, <valkcapt@...> wrote: This is just a post script to my prior post.  As suggested by some, I enrolled in a Introductory Lathe/Mill course at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, California.  Now I am taking a more advanced Lathe course.  This has been a wonderful learning experience.  However, the Taig requires different techniques than the big machines at the college, so I sometimes try out the college projects at home to see how to do them on the Taig.  I'm learning a lot. One thing I've found is that, as someone that is basically starting with almost no knowledge about machining, even the basic books were over my head.  What I would have liked to see is a series of easy projects with information on what tools I need to complete each project.  Then I would have liked to know, not only how to do it right, but what mistakes I might try to avoid.  As it is, I read the basic books over and over again, and finally I acquire enough knowledge to understand what I'm being told.   I'm thinking about creating a website geared for the complete newbee on the Taig, with a progressive learning/doing experience.  Then because that could be the blind leading the blind, opening it for feedback from the more experienced Taig machinists on any potential misinformation I provide, or alternative ways to accomplish it.  What I would like is some feedback pn whether the effort is worth it.  Are there enough Taig newbees appearing on the scene each month that this service would be needed?  Or is the target audience so small, or most folks just smarter/more adept at mechanical things than me, so this service isn't needed at all.  If the former, I'm willing to put something together.  If the latter, well I'll just keep on plugging along. In any case, this site has been very helpful. Thank you all, Captvalk (Terry)   --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com , <shawnwoolley@...> wrote: --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com , "valkcapt" <valkcapt@...> wrote:

                                            > Lots of good info but one thing I never read but what are you cutting. There are some materials that cut well on the Taig and some that are a real bear to get a decent surface out of. And if your cutting wood as in pen making cutting tool needs are very different for different woods as are speed requirements. I started out cutting an aluminum that was a nightmare and got very discouraged until I got a different material that cut with so much better results it didn't seem to be the same machine. I also watched a ton of different video's etc and was just feeling worse. I bought a different aluminum and good turning brass and all my problems were over and my parts started looking like the ones in the videos.

                                            Sent from my iPad>

                                            > Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. I have purchased many books and dvds, some focused on the Taig and some more general, and watched many of the Tubal Cain youtube videos and every Taig youtube I could get my hands on. I've spent hours reading and watching this material. I think, as some of you have hinted, I should be starting on simpler projects, and maybe projects made out of plastic. I'm stepping back and starting over again with this in mind. Also, I am enrolling in the introductory class for the Machine Technology curriculum in the local junior college. I'll get there -- I am just impatient. That's why I was hoping to find someone local to see how he/she uses the Taig. Thanks again.
                                            >
                                            > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com , "valkcapt" <valkcapt@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > I just purchased a new lathe and a new mill, and a lot of tooling. I have been focusing on the lathe to start with, but have been remarkably unsuccessful at every project I try. Do any members live in Orange County CA or southern LA, who would be willing to show me where I am going wrong, or more importantly, how to do things right? Thanks.

                                          • ED MAISEY
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 1, 2013
                                              Valkcapt,

                                                  this is just my own suggestion, I think you would be better off to get into an email communication with a willing person who has many years experience in general machining, and not rely on a multitude of different answers to your questions on how to, because you will be overwhelmed by the suggestions, this will allow you to concentrate on what you need to learn, which is the basics, doesn't matter if the description or advise from that person could be done in several different ways, which is what you will get if the group intervenes, I think you would be better off if you went one on one with an experienced machinist,

                                              This suggestion or words of mine are not meant to cause any friction within the group, but only to help solve Valkcapt's problem,

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Sep 1, 2013
                                                I'd suggest looking at the youtube videos from the India Institute of
                                                Technology. I watched two semesters worth of classes in machining and learned
                                                a lot. Free and you can take your own time watching.

                                                Steve

                                                (mailto:taigtools@yahoogroups.com) , <shawnwoolley@...> wrote: --- In _taigtools@yahoogroups.com_