Re: [taigtools] Power rating for 1/4 motor on the taig mill?

  • WAM
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
      This is why I have a mechanical spindle disconnect with indicator as the
      last element in my spindle circuit.

      Jeffrey Birt wrote:

      >The full load rating is 3.8A, motor draw much more current when starting up
      >though so a 10A-~12A relay would be about the correct size. Relays that can
      >be used with inductive loads will typically have a HP rating as well.
      >

      >Solid State Relays have the tendency to fail in the ‘ON’, i.e. shorted,
      >modes. You must have a secondary method to remove power from the spindle
      >motor. I know one guy who walked into his shop in the morning and found that
      >the spindle motor on his knee mill had been running all night as the SSR
      >controlling it shorted out. Think of what your fingers would look like if
      >that happened when you are changing a bit. The switch on the Z column is
      >useful for this purpose as you can flip off when changing bits.
      >

      >Since the G540 outputs are capable of sinking about a good deal of current
      >you can drive an mechanical relay directly from it. Take a look at:
      >http://www.soigeneris.com/24v_and_48v_relay_kits-details.aspx (my website)
      >for an idea of the type of relay that can be used. I have one customer who
      >had very short cycle times, 0.5~2minutes, and they run the Taig mill about
      >8~10 hours a day. After four years of this the relay failed so I recommended
      >a SSR. For most folks with the cycle time for a small CNC is MUCH longer for
      >a mechanical relay will last forever and is about ¼ the price of a SSR.
      >

      >Jeff Birt
      >
      >Soigeneris.com

    • John Hutnick
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
        The current Jansjo lights mount with 2 metric screws up from underneath the
        base. I have not experienced any sagging. Regarding the small in-line
        switch, I have not had any failing as was described. When I have a switch
        that I do not want to keep operating, I buy a switched receptacle and mount
        this in an electrical box where I need it. Then the job is done by the
        off-on toggle switch in the receptacle. I have done this for the in-line
        switch in a Unimat cord.

      • wsfurrie
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 5, 2013
          My oldest Jansjo light is about 2 years old and the switch is still good. My problem with it is that it is an in-line switch and a pain to keep fumbling for. I finally attached the switch to the goose-neck with tie-wraps, the cord is small and that works great. My granddaughter works at Ikea and I am tempted to have her pick up a few more, they are so handy.
          Wayne

          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, John Hutnick <johnhutnick@...> wrote:

          > The current Jansjo lights mount with 2 metric screws up from underneath the
          > base. I have not experienced any sagging. Regarding the small in-line
          > switch, I have not had any failing as was described. When I have a switch
          > that I do not want to keep operating, I buy a switched receptacle and mount
          > this in an electrical box where I need it. Then the job is done by the
          > off-on toggle switch in the receptacle. I have done this for the in-line
          > switch in a Unimat cord.

        • Shane Adams
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 5, 2013
            Excellent thanks Jeffrey -

            I did not consider the SSR fail in the on state, the kill switch is a great idea for changing bits!  I will incorporate that into my circuit!  I considered mechanical relay, as I have to order one online I figured I would go for an SSR but I do admit to like hearing the "click" of a mechanical relay :)

            Cheers,
              Shane

            http://www.fuper.com ~ https://github.com/adamsch1

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 17, 2013
              >I buy the Jansjo lamps directly at the local Ikea store. I have gradually
              >accumulated a stock of them. I figure that if I like a product, that is a
              >good reason for it to be discontinued. Note that the weighted base is a
              >separate item. So you can adapt the gooseneck to other mountings. I have
              >used one on a plywod "lap desk" that I made.

              Not discontinued yet. I bought four this last Sunday at our local store.

              Thayer