Re: Lighting

  • wsfurrie
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 3, 2013
      That is interesting, I bought one from Amazon last year for 9.99. Something changed.
      Wayne

      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Paul J. Ste. Marie" <taig@...> wrote:

      > On 4/2/2013 6:12 AM, wsfurrie wrote:
      > > They can also be bought from Amazon.
      >
      > Interesting. Buy 'em for $10 each at IKEA, sell them on Amazon for $20
      > each. Nice little profit margin there, even after the Amazon commission
      > and FBA charges.

    • John Hutnick
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 3, 2013
        I buy the Jansjo lamps directly at the local Ikea store. I have gradually
        accumulated a stock of them. I figure that if I like a product, that is a
        good reason for it to be discontinued. Note that the weighted base is a
        separate item. So you can adapt the gooseneck to other mountings. I have
        used one on a plywod "lap desk" that I made.

        http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/

      • Paul J. Ste. Marie
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 3, 2013
          On 4/3/2013 6:20 PM, John Hutnick wrote:
          > Note that the weighted base is a
          > separate item. So you can adapt the gooseneck to other mountings. I have
          > used one on a plywod "lap desk" that I made.

          Yeah, the fitting at the bottom of the gooseneck has a metric fine
          thread, M8x1 if memory serves, and you can easily make adapter plates to
          attach it to the Taig.

          Two headaches:

          First, the gooseneck isn't very stiff and tends to sag easily.

          Second, over time the switch on the one I have attached to my mill has
          become flaky. The lamp will flicker and go out, and I have to jiggle
          the switch a bit to get it to turn back on. I probably ought to get rid
          of the switch and replace it and the feed wire with some GPT grade zip cord.
        • Shane Adams
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
            Hi everyone,

            What is the rating of the 1/4 hp motor in power and current draw?  I'm at work, now that I'm typing this it might be labeled on the motor itself but in case it's not I might as well ask.  I want to hook it up to a solid state relay driven by my gecko g540 to turn the spindle on/off.

            Cheers,
              Shane

          • Jeffrey Birt
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
              The full load rating is 3.8A, motor draw much more current when starting up
              though so a 10A-~12A relay would be about the correct size. Relays that can
              be used with inductive loads will typically have a HP rating as well.

              Solid State Relays have the tendency to fail in the ‘ON’, i.e. shorted,
              modes. You must have a secondary method to remove power from the spindle
              motor. I know one guy who walked into his shop in the morning and found that
              the spindle motor on his knee mill had been running all night as the SSR
              controlling it shorted out. Think of what your fingers would look like if
              that happened when you are changing a bit. The switch on the Z column is
              useful for this purpose as you can flip off when changing bits.

              Since the G540 outputs are capable of sinking about a good deal of current
              you can drive an mechanical relay directly from it. Take a look at:
              http://www.soigeneris.com/24v_and_48v_relay_kits-details.aspx (my website)
              for an idea of the type of relay that can be used. I have one customer who
              had very short cycle times, 0.5~2minutes, and they run the Taig mill about
              8~10 hours a day. After four years of this the relay failed so I recommended
              a SSR. For most folks with the cycle time for a small CNC is MUCH longer for
              a mechanical relay will last forever and is about ¼ the price of a SSR.

              Jeff Birt

              Soigeneris.com

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
                One HP is roughly 750 Watts.

                On 4 Apr 2013 16:03, "Shane Adams" <adamsch1@...> wrote:

                > Hi everyone,
                >
                > What is the rating of the 1/4 hp motor in power and current draw? I'm at
                > work, now that I'm typing this it might be labeled on the motor itself but
                > in case it's not I might as well ask. I want to hook it up to a solid
                > state relay driven by my gecko g540 to turn the spindle on/off.
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Shane

              • WAM
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
                  This is why I have a mechanical spindle disconnect with indicator as the
                  last element in my spindle circuit.

                  Jeffrey Birt wrote:

                  >The full load rating is 3.8A, motor draw much more current when starting up
                  >though so a 10A-~12A relay would be about the correct size. Relays that can
                  >be used with inductive loads will typically have a HP rating as well.
                  >

                  >Solid State Relays have the tendency to fail in the ‘ON’, i.e. shorted,
                  >modes. You must have a secondary method to remove power from the spindle
                  >motor. I know one guy who walked into his shop in the morning and found that
                  >the spindle motor on his knee mill had been running all night as the SSR
                  >controlling it shorted out. Think of what your fingers would look like if
                  >that happened when you are changing a bit. The switch on the Z column is
                  >useful for this purpose as you can flip off when changing bits.
                  >

                  >Since the G540 outputs are capable of sinking about a good deal of current
                  >you can drive an mechanical relay directly from it. Take a look at:
                  >http://www.soigeneris.com/24v_and_48v_relay_kits-details.aspx (my website)
                  >for an idea of the type of relay that can be used. I have one customer who
                  >had very short cycle times, 0.5~2minutes, and they run the Taig mill about
                  >8~10 hours a day. After four years of this the relay failed so I recommended
                  >a SSR. For most folks with the cycle time for a small CNC is MUCH longer for
                  >a mechanical relay will last forever and is about ¼ the price of a SSR.
                  >

                  >Jeff Birt
                  >
                  >Soigeneris.com

                • John Hutnick
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 4, 2013
                    The current Jansjo lights mount with 2 metric screws up from underneath the
                    base. I have not experienced any sagging. Regarding the small in-line
                    switch, I have not had any failing as was described. When I have a switch
                    that I do not want to keep operating, I buy a switched receptacle and mount
                    this in an electrical box where I need it. Then the job is done by the
                    off-on toggle switch in the receptacle. I have done this for the in-line
                    switch in a Unimat cord.

                  • wsfurrie
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 5, 2013
                      My oldest Jansjo light is about 2 years old and the switch is still good. My problem with it is that it is an in-line switch and a pain to keep fumbling for. I finally attached the switch to the goose-neck with tie-wraps, the cord is small and that works great. My granddaughter works at Ikea and I am tempted to have her pick up a few more, they are so handy.
                      Wayne

                      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, John Hutnick <johnhutnick@...> wrote:

                      > The current Jansjo lights mount with 2 metric screws up from underneath the
                      > base. I have not experienced any sagging. Regarding the small in-line
                      > switch, I have not had any failing as was described. When I have a switch
                      > that I do not want to keep operating, I buy a switched receptacle and mount
                      > this in an electrical box where I need it. Then the job is done by the
                      > off-on toggle switch in the receptacle. I have done this for the in-line
                      > switch in a Unimat cord.

                    • Shane Adams
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 5, 2013
                        Excellent thanks Jeffrey -

                        I did not consider the SSR fail in the on state, the kill switch is a great idea for changing bits!  I will incorporate that into my circuit!  I considered mechanical relay, as I have to order one online I figured I would go for an SSR but I do admit to like hearing the "click" of a mechanical relay :)

                        Cheers,
                          Shane

                        http://www.fuper.com ~ https://github.com/adamsch1

                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 17, 2013
                          >I buy the Jansjo lamps directly at the local Ikea store. I have gradually
                          >accumulated a stock of them. I figure that if I like a product, that is a
                          >good reason for it to be discontinued. Note that the weighted base is a
                          >separate item. So you can adapt the gooseneck to other mountings. I have
                          >used one on a plywod "lap desk" that I made.

                          Not discontinued yet. I bought four this last Sunday at our local store.

                          Thayer