Re: [taigtools] Lathe Cross slide backlash

    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 1, 2013
      ...but only a problem on the leadscrew, not the cross-slide.

      On 1 Apr 2013 18:03, "Ron Thompson" <ron@...> wrote:

      > CNC is capable of contour cuts, like in a chess pawn. So, yes, backlash
      > can be a problem.
      >
      > On 4/1/2013 12:11 PM, Paul J. Ste. Marie wrote:
      > >
      > > On 3/31/2013 9:58 AM, Tony Jeffree wrote:
      > > > because going from
      > > > cutting up to a peak to cutting dowwn to a valley there is a reversal
      > in
      > > > the direction in which the leadscrew backlash is taken up.
      > >
      > > Are you talking about the carriage or the cross slide?
      > >
      > > Either way, on a lathe, I would expect the cutting force to always take
      > > up the backlash in the same direction. The exception would be in the
      > > carriage if you went from a right-hand cut to left-hand cut, but that
      > > would require a tool change and thus again backlash is a non-issue.
      > >
      > > Am I missing something here? Even with something like a recessed face on
      > > a flywheel, you still need to change the tool setup between the inside
      > > of the outer circumference and the outside of the hub.
      > >

      > > No virus found in this message.

      > Ron Thompson
      > On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space
      > Center, USA
      >
      > Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!
      >
      > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/
      >
      > http://www.plansandprojects.com My hobby pages are here:
      > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/
      >
      > Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
      > http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/

    • chuck
      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 1, 2013
        Tony,
        I would think it would be more of an issue on the cross slide (X axis) and not the lead screw (Z axis).
        when I have watched turning a profile on a piece of stock the Z axis is moving toward the chuck in one continuous motion while the X axis is moving in and out reversing direction along the profile than backing away and the Z moves back to the start to take another cut.
        this would make backlash more critical on the cross slide (X axis) I would think. am I not correct?
        I have not done any cnc on a lathe yet but have watched others, it just seems right.
        feel free to correct me if I'm way off base.
        Chuck

        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 1, 2013
          Chuck

          Don't confuse the direction of movement with the direction of the cutting
          forces acting on the tool.

          When the tool is cutting metal there is always a component of the cutting
          force that acts in the direcion of the operator, which takes up the
          backlash in the cross-slide feed screw. The rest of the cutting force acts
          in the axis of tge leadscrew, either to the right if cutting on the left
          flank of the tool, or to the left if cutting on the right flank. So cross
          slide backlash is always taken up in one direction whereas the direction
          that leadscrew backlash is taken up depends on which flank of the tool is
          doing the cutting.

        • chuck
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 1, 2013
            thanx Tony,
            I stand corrected.

            Message 5 of 30 , Apr 2, 2013
              No problem.

              On Apr 1, 2013 10:04 PM, "chuck" <chuckels@...> wrote:

              > thanx Tony,
              > I stand corrected.
              > Chuck

            • Paul J. Ste. Marie
              Message 6 of 30 , Apr 3, 2013
                On 4/1/2013 10:03 AM, Ron Thompson wrote:
                > CNC is capable of contour cuts, like in a chess pawn. So, yes, backlash
                > can be a problem.

                Isn't the force from the lathe always pushing the tool away from the
                work? I've never noticed any tendency for the tool to dig into the work
                running by hand, although I haven't turned any brass on the lathe.

                Typical lathe tools only cut one way in Z, so lead screw backlash isn't
                usually going to be an issue, either.
                Message 7 of 30 , Apr 4, 2013
                  Paul -

                  See my posts earlier in this thread.

                  You are right about the cross-slide backlash, and right about most plain
                  turning operations, but if you were cutting a contour where the tool
                  changes from cutting on one flank to cutting on the other (e.g., a chess
                  piece), then although the Z travel would be all in one direction, the
                  cutting force on the tool would change directions as the cutting action
                  changes flanks. At the point where the direction of the cutting force
                  reverses, the direction in which any leadscrew backlash is taken up also
                  reverses. This is exactly the same problem you get with a milling machine
                  when you try to mill a circular path and you have backlash in the X and/or
                  Y feeds. The reason that it is not a problem with the cross slide is that
                  (for obvious reasons) you never switch from cutting on the nose of the tool
                  to cutting on its back end.

                  Message 8 of 30 , Apr 5, 2013
                    On 4/4/2013 5:06 AM, Tony Jeffree wrote:
                    > if you were cutting a contour where the tool
                    > changes from cutting on one flank to cutting on the other (e.g., a chess
                    > piece), then although the Z travel would be all in one direction, the
                    > cutting force on the tool would change directions as the cutting action
                    > changes flanks.

                    How does that work? Tool with zero side rake? IIRC that's how Taig
                    grinds their round v-nose tool, but my experiences with that tool have
                    been less than stellar.

                    I haven't done any CNC on the lathe, but for something like the little
                    flange under the head of a chess piece I'd expect to do two passes, one
                    from the right, a second from the left, and switch out tools in between.
                    Message 9 of 30 , Apr 5, 2013
                      Use a V tool (e.g., a thread cutting tool).