Re: [taigtools] Putting lighting on the part

  • Ron Thompson
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 31, 2013
      BTW, a got one that didn't work. The wires were soldered on backwards.
      Easy fix, considering the cheap price and long shipping time.

      On 3/31/2013 7:43 PM, Ron Thompson wrote:

      > Bertho,
      > Look into a product called Angel eyes. They are 12V LEDs set on circles
      > for mounting to car lights. They are very bright and pretty cheap from
      > Deal Extreme.
      >
      > http://dx.com/s/angel+eyes
      >
      > I bought a few to play with, like spindle lights for small milling
      > machines. No reason they couldn't be mounted in a reflector like a desk
      > lamp.
      >
      > On 3/31/2013 7:12 PM, Boman33 wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks Frexdy,
      > >
      > > I was thinking about a flashlight setup like Bob's with sealed metal
      > > housings and then hook up a wall wart for power. One on each side of the
      > > Taig mill The AC bulbs are big and they cause a glare so they need to be
      > > shielded.
      > >
      > > Most of the better flashlight have a high efficiency single LED
      > carefully
      > > focused. That makes it a small beam that cats stark shadows.
      > >
      > > So my goal is to find an efficient LED flashlight with multiple bright
      > > LEDs.
      > >
      > > Bertho
      > >
      > > From: frxdy@... <mailto:frxdy%40aol.com>
      > <mailto:frxdy%40aol.com> Sent: Sunday, March 31,
      > > 2013 17:09
      > >
      > > Here's a 450 lumen 6 watt for $10:
      > > http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-6-Watt-40W-A19-Wa
      > >
      > rm-White-2700K-LED-Light-Bulb-1-Pack-BA19-04527OMF-12DE26-1U100/203991778#sp
      > > ecifications
      > >
      > > Here's a 800 lumen 9 watt for $14:
      > >
      > http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-9-Watt-60W-A19-Daylight-5000K-LED-Light-Bulb
      > > -1-Pack-BA19-08050OMF-12DE26-1U100/2039
      > > 91776#specifications
      > >
      > > And a 800 lumen 10 watt for $10 It looks yellow but the light is white:
      > >
      > http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-12-5-Watt-60-W-LED-A19-Soft-White-2700K-D
      > > im
      > > mable-Light-Bulb-E-422154/203406583#specifications
      > >
      > > And now.... LOL... I can't find the one I mentioned earlier.

      > > No virus found in this message.
      > 03/31/13
      > >

      > --
      >
      > Ron Thompson
      > On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space
      > Center, USA
      >
      > Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!
      >
      > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/
      >
      > http://www.plansandprojects.com My hobby pages are here:
      > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/
      >
      > Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
      > http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/

      > No virus found in this message.

      Ron Thompson

      Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!

      http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/

      Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

    • David Underwood
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 31, 2013
        Bertho, you might like what I did on my mill:
        http://toolingaround.ca/tml.html

        Dave Underwood

        On 31/03/2013 7:12 PM, Boman33 wrote:
        > Thanks Frexdy,
        >
        > I was thinking about a flashlight setup like Bob's with sealed metal
        > housings and then hook up a wall wart for power. One on each side of the
        > Taig mill The AC bulbs are big and they cause a glare so they need to be
        > shielded.
        >

        > Most of the better flashlight have a high efficiency single LED carefully
        > focused. That makes it a small beam that cats stark shadows.
        >
        > So my goal is to find an efficient LED flashlight with multiple bright LEDs.
        >
        > Bertho
      • Boman33
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 31, 2013
          I bought some LED ring lights like that on my last trip to China and I have
          been using them on microscopes.

          I have been hesitant to add one to the mill since it gets splashed with
          coolant and easily hit by the wrenches changing cutters.

          Bertho

          From: Ron Thompson Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2013 19:46

          BTW, a got one that didn't work. The wires were soldered on backwards.
          Easy fix, considering the cheap price and long shipping time.

          On 3/31/2013 7:43 PM, Ron Thompson wrote:

          > Bertho,
          > Look into a product called Angel eyes. They are 12V LEDs set on circles
          > for mounting to car lights. They are very bright and pretty cheap from
          > Deal Extreme.
          >
          > http://dx.com/s/angel+eyes
          >
          > I bought a few to play with, like spindle lights for small milling
          > machines. No reason they couldn't be mounted in a reflector like a desk
          > lamp.
          >
          > On 3/31/2013 7:12 PM, Boman33 wrote:
          > >
          > > Thanks Frexdy,
          > >
          > > I was thinking about a flashlight setup like Bob's with sealed metal
          > > housings and then hook up a wall wart for power. One on each side of the
          > > Taig mill The AC bulbs are big and they cause a glare so they need to be
          > > shielded.
          > >
          > > Most of the better flashlight have a high efficiency single LED
          > carefully
          > > focused. That makes it a small beam that cats stark shadows.
          > >
          > > So my goal is to find an efficient LED flashlight with multiple bright
          > > LEDs.
          > >
          > > Bertho

        • Boman33
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 31, 2013
            Thanks Dave,

            That looks very promising. I will have to make a trip to IKEA.

            Bertho

            From: David Underwood Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2013 21:52

            Bertho, you might like what I did on my mill:
            http://toolingaround.ca/tml.html

            Dave Underwood

            On 31/03/2013 7:12 PM, Boman33 wrote:
            > Thanks Frexdy,
            >
            > I was thinking about a flashlight setup like Bob's with sealed metal
            > housings and then hook up a wall wart for power. One on each side of the
            > Taig mill The AC bulbs are big and they cause a glare so they need to be
            > shielded.
            >
            > Most of the better flashlight have a high efficiency single LED carefully
            > focused. That makes it a small beam that cats stark shadows.
            >
            > So my goal is to find an efficient LED flashlight with multiple bright
            LEDs.

            > Bertho

          • Shawn Woolley
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 31, 2013
              I use very simple lights made for musicians and all kinds of console work there called little lights there are controlled by a dimmer from a light glow to very bright they also have metal bases that can be added to magnets or just locked into one of the groves on the headstock. I have one on each lathe as shown below and two on my Mills. They work great and are tough and very flexible.

              [IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/retrosurfer1959/TaigLathe.jpg%5b/IMG]

              --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Boman33" <boman33@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Dave,
              >
              > That looks very promising. I will have to make a trip to IKEA.
              >

              > Bertho
              >

              > From: David Underwood Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2013 21:52
              >

              > Bertho, you might like what I did on my mill:
              > http://toolingaround.ca/tml.html
              >
              > Dave Underwood
              >
              > On 31/03/2013 7:12 PM, Boman33 wrote:
              > > Thanks Frexdy,
              > >
              > > I was thinking about a flashlight setup like Bob's with sealed metal
              > > housings and then hook up a wall wart for power. One on each side of the
              > > Taig mill The AC bulbs are big and they cause a glare so they need to be
              > > shielded.
              > >
              > > Most of the better flashlight have a high efficiency single LED carefully
              > > focused. That makes it a small beam that cats stark shadows.
              > >
              > > So my goal is to find an efficient LED flashlight with multiple bright
              > LEDs.
              > >
              > > Bertho

            • Boman33
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 1, 2013
                Thanks Shawn,

                That also looks like a good way to do it.

                Bertho

                From: Shawn Woolley Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2013 23:33

                I use very simple lights made for musicians and all kinds of console work
                there called little lights there are controlled by a dimmer from a light
                glow to very bright they also have metal bases that can be added to magnets
                or just locked into one of the groves on the headstock. I have one on each
                lathe as shown below and two on my Mills. They work great and are tough and
                very flexible.

                [IMG]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/retrosurfer1959/TaigLathe.jpg%5b/
                IMG]

              • Paul J. Ste. Marie
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 1, 2013
                  On 3/31/2013 6:51 PM, David Underwood wrote:
                  > Bertho, you might like what I did on my mill:
                  > http://toolingaround.ca/tml.html

                  FWIW, as far as I can tell the "unique plug" connecting the light is to
                  the power supply is a two-pin DIN connector, e.g.
                  http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DISTRIBUTED-BY-MCM-13HP035B-/CN00767.
                • David Underwood
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 1, 2013
                    Thanks, Paul.

                    The lights I installed on my mill are an earlier version of the ones
                    currently available, with a different type of connector. I'll update
                    the site to explain that what I was trying to do is preserve the
                    connector that was moulded on to the end of the wire.

                    Dave Underwood

                    On 01/04/2013 12:28 PM, Paul J. Ste. Marie wrote:
                    > On 3/31/2013 6:51 PM, David Underwood wrote:
                    >> Bertho, you might like what I did on my mill:
                    >> http://toolingaround.ca/tml.html
                    > FWIW, as far as I can tell the "unique plug" connecting the light is to
                    > the power supply is a two-pin DIN connector, e.g.
                    > http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/DISTRIBUTED-BY-MCM-13HP035B-/CN00767.

                  • Chris Ghent
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 2, 2013
                      Lighting is so often initiated by buying hardware, here is a post I put
                      here some time ago to help think about the effect you are trying to achieve.

                      > As one who has spent years lighting for film and tv, here is a quick
                      > summary of
                      > lighting positions and their uses...
                      >
                      > A light shining from the side will give you a good idea of the shape of an
                      > object.
                      > A light shining from behind will show you the separation between objects.
                      > A light from the front will flatten shape and remove separation,
                      > leaving you to
                      > detect distance and shape by colour difference or shade of black and
                      > white.
                      >
                      > This is relevant to machining in that a light placed anywhere near
                      > your point of
                      > view will make it hard to detect where things are. A good example of
                      > this is
                      > trying to work through one of those large magnifying lights with a
                      > toroidal neon
                      > strip. Perspective is completely gone.
                      >
                      > Any spindle positioning is easier if there is an element of
                      > backlighting in the
                      > light. A single light will create dark shadows so you really need two
                      > lights to
                      > get a valuable setup. One from the rear three quarter and one not quite as
                      > bright from close to the front is a good setup.
                      >
                      > It is on my list to get a good lighting setup but as it is I usually
                      > use the
                      > room light as a front light and I have a small LED torch I hold in a
                      > backlighting position during delicate manouvres. When I see a couple
                      > of good
                      > lights with 240v supply I will buy them.
                      >
                      > If you want a good understanding of the lighting styles I mentioned at the
                      > beginning of this, and a start on the vocabulary of light used by
                      > everyone in
                      > the film and tv business, find a rooftop position in a city where you
                      > have a
                      > panoramic view of other buildings in a 180 degree arc from east to
                      > west. When
                      > the sun is low on the sky you will see the buildings in that quadrant
                      > are very
                      > easy to distinguish from one another in terms of distance. This is
                      > backlight.
                      > The buildings in the opposite direction will be a jumble of colour,
                      > but you
                      > could imagine them being a 2d cutout. This is front light. In between
                      > the shapes
                      > of the buildings, which will be in side lighting, will be very
                      > obvious. You can
                      > do this well with trees also.
                      >
                      > More than I meant to write...

                      Based on this understanding the lighting setup I would most like would
                      be two lights hung from a ring around the spindle and about 6" out,
                      which could be easily slid around the ring to adjust the shadows.

                      Best

                      Chris
                    • Boman33
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 2, 2013
                        Thanks Chris,

                        I remember reading your original article! Very good comments.

                        Bertho

                        From Chris Ghent Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 22:42

                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 3, 2013
                          Excellent advice, Chris. This is why two, adjustable lights are so good.

                          At one time, I was considering putting a set of LED's on the front of my
                          OptiVisor. I came to my senses when I thought about flat, frontal
                          light. While it's OK, it's often better to cast some shadows so you can
                          see minor features on a workpiece.

                          Dave

                        • Shawn Woolley
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 3, 2013
                            As a artist and painter I deal with light all the time and I find that too much is just as bad as not enough. I chose to put the small Littlelite on my lathe mounted directly above and just slightly too the front of the work piece for this reason. The head or shield on my light rotates so I can get very fine adjustment and I find I can see my progress best by adjusting the light so that it is predominately top and backlit. in fact I will often run the light so the leading edge of the light square is just at the cutting line. with this accessory light as well as good overall light in the studio I can see both detail and shape even if close up optical glasses are used.

                            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Chris Ghent <cghent@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > west. When
                            > > the sun is low on the sky you will see the buildings in that quadrant
                            > > are very
                            > > easy to distinguish from one another in terms of distance. This is
                            > > backlight.
                            > > The buildings in the opposite direction will be a jumble of colour,
                            > > but you
                            > > could imagine them being a 2d cutout. This is front light. In between
                            > > the shapes
                            > > of the buildings, which will be in side lighting, will be very
                            > > obvious. You can
                            > > do this well with trees also.
                            > >
                            > > More than I meant to write...
                            >
                            > Based on this understanding the lighting setup I would most like would
                            > be two lights hung from a ring around the spindle and about 6" out,
                            > which could be easily slid around the ring to adjust the shadows.

                          • Jake Horky
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 3, 2013
                              Do you remember which model Littlelite you have? I hadn't heard of them
                              until now... they have a lot to choose from, and it looks like they are
                              made in the US.

                              It might be neat to strategically mount a BNC connector somewhere on the
                              mill & lathe in order to use one of their many soundboard lights.

                            • Shawn Woolley
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 3, 2013
                                I actually have several and yep the BNC connected ones are pretty cool I have a 12 inch L-3 fixed neck gooseneck on my lathe and two of the L-4 BNC 12 inch ones on my mill. I went with the high intensity halogen because of the adjustable heat dispersing head which allows flexible movement for adjusting the light coverage without fighting the gooseneck. I honestly didn't know they had so many models mine were kind of basic models and are a few years old but they work really well and the adjustable neck and dimmer gives you a lot of control.