Lathe Cross slide backlash

  • Gaston Gagnon
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 30, 2013
      I have CNCed my Taig lathe but I have around 0.007" backlash on the cross
      slide.
      How would you go to minimize or even remove this backlash?
      Thanks,
      Gaston
      --
      /http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon//

      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 30, 2013
        1) adjust the feed nuts

        2) if you are using the standard Taig shaft couplers, toss them & use
        proper antibacklash couplrrs, for example Oldham couplings.

        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 30, 2013
          Thanks Tony,
          I suppose you are talking about what Taig calls the "Crosslide Screw Nut"?
          How do you adjust that nut and how close to 0 backlash can you get?
          Gaston

          --

          On 30/03/2013 6:29 PM, Tony Jeffree wrote:
          > adjust the feed nuts

        • Douglas Vogt
          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 30, 2013
            Do you have any opinion on Oldham couplings versus beam or helical couplings like the type Sherline uses?

            ________________________________
            2) if you are using the standard Taig shaft couplers, toss them & use
            proper antibacklash couplrrs, for example Oldham couplings.

            On Mar 30, 2013 9:31 PM, "Gaston Gagnon" <gaston.gagnon@...> wrote:

            > I have CNCed my Taig lathe but I have around 0.007" backlash on the cross
            > slide.
            > How would you go to minimize or even remove this backlash?
            > Thanks,
            > Gaston
            > --
            > /http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon//

          • Steve Blackmore
            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 31, 2013
              On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 17:49:43 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

              >Do you have any opinion on Oldham couplings versus beam or helical couplings like the type Sherline uses?

              Avoid helical couplings. They can wind up under load and then are not
              "zero backlash" couplings. They are fine driving an encoder or the like
              with little or no load, but perform poorly on machine axis.

              Use Oldham couplings - they are backlash free.

              Steve Blackmore
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 31, 2013
                That's right. They are slit longitudinally and can be nipped up a bit to
                adjust for wear. However, on a CNC lathe, for most purposes backlash isn't
                an issue.

                On 31 Mar 2013 00:36, "Gaston Gagnon" <gaston.gagnon@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Tony,
                > I suppose you are talking about what Taig calls the "Crosslide Screw Nut"?
                > How do you adjust that nut and how close to 0 backlash can you get?
                > Gaston
                >
                > --
                > /http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon//
                >

                > On 30/03/2013 6:29 PM, Tony Jeffree wrote:
                > > adjust the feed nuts

              • Jeffrey Birt
                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 31, 2013
                  As with most things the devil is in the details. Beam/helical/bellows
                  couplings are fine when they are used within the torque ratings they are
                  designed for. Sherline designed their couplers for use with 150oz-in motors
                  and they have no big problems when used accordingly. When someone thinks
                  that 'have' to use 380oz-in motors (or larger) the couplers become the weak
                  link. Beam/helical/bellows type couplings can be harder to use as you may
                  have to be able to access both set screws when the motor is mounted to get
                  things lined up properly. They can be had in a 'zero backlash' design as
                  well.

                  Oldham/spider type couplings can be easier to use as each half of the
                  coupler gets mounted separately. If you need to take the stepper of for
                  maintenance reasons this type is usually easier to work with. This type of
                  coupling is not by default 'zero backlash' but they can be had in that
                  tolerance level.

                  The Taig stepper couplers are a very unique design and work well given that
                  you adjust them properly and realize you will need to replace the straws
                  periodically. They may not be as nice or as handy to use as the Oldham style
                  but they do work well.

                  Before worrying about the coupler you have to worry about getting the motor
                  and lead screw into alignment. You want them aligned as near perfectly as
                  you can get. A lot of homemade designs try to use four standoff posts to
                  mount the motor. Not only does this not give you much in the way of
                  torsional stability but it is almost impossible to try and keep the motor
                  and lead screw in alignment. There is a reason the motors are made with the
                  mounting boss on the nose. Taig and Sherline both use a tube type coupler
                  which works well and is easy to use.

                  When you are choosing a coupler you have to not only worry about backlash
                  but also the amount of torque it will have to transmit in operation. Many
                  hobbyist type products are something some guy whipped up in is shop so you
                  really have no idea what amount of torque it can handle on a continuous
                  basis or how accurately it is made, w.r.t. bore accuracy and alignment, etc.
                  Many of the cheap Asian import parts are not much better. Even when working
                  with quality parts you have to pay attention to the degree of misalignment a
                  coupler can tolerate. Even high misalignment couplers will quickly fail when
                  used outside their design limitations.

                  In short there is no one best type of coupler. You have to find one that
                  fits the job at hand and use it within its deign specifications.

                  A great resource to find out more about different couplers is:
                  http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-shaft-couplings/=m49pcj

                  Jeff Birt

                  Soigeneris.com

                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 31, 2013
                    The backlash I get comes from the "Crosslide Screw Nut", not from the coupler.

                    You are right, Mach3's backlash compensation seems to work well. However, I
                    would appreciate being enlighten on the practical effect of the backlash
                    on the quality of the cutting and also on the tool?

                    To operate the lathe by hand, I added an encoder on each axis and made a
                    screen with large indicator in Mach3:
                    http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon/taig-micro-lathe-1/encoder-for-cnc-manual/pictures/screen-r21.html

                    That works well except contrary to gauges directly linked to the machine,
                    tool offset is but backlash is not compensated for in the encoder reading
                    (as far as I can see).

                    DumpsterCNC sells an anti-backlash nut but it is right handed thread an
                    also a bit bulky to be used on the X axis.

                    Gaston

                    --

                    On 31/03/2013 6:02 AM, Tony Jeffree wrote:

                    > That's right. They are slit longitudinally and can be nipped up a bit to
                    > adjust for wear. However, on a CNC lathe, for most purposes backlash isn't
                    > an issue.
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    > Tony
                    > On 31 Mar 2013 00:36, "Gaston Gagnon" <gaston.gagnon@...
                    > <mailto:gaston.gagnon%40videotron.ca>> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Thanks Tony,
                    > > I suppose you are talking about what Taig calls the "Crosslide Screw Nut"?
                    > > How do you adjust that nut and how close to 0 backlash can you get?
                    > > Gaston
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > /http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon//
                    > >

                    > > On 30/03/2013 6:29 PM, Tony Jeffree wrote:
                    > > > adjust the feed nuts

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Jeffrey Birt
                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 31, 2013
                      Squeezing the nut will make it tighter and reduce backlash, same idea as the
                      adjustment screws on the adjustable couplers on the mill.

                      Jeff Birt

                      Soigeneris.com

                      The backlash I get comes from the "Crosslide Screw Nut", not from the
                      coupler.

                      You are right, Mach3's backlash compensation seems to work well. However, I
                      would appreciate being enlighten on the practical effect of the backlash
                      on the quality of the cutting and also on the tool?

                      To operate the lathe by hand, I added an encoder on each axis and made a
                      screen with large indicator in Mach3:
                      http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon/taig-micro-lathe-1/encoder-for-cnc-man
                      ual/pictures/screen-r21.html

                      That works well except contrary to gauges directly linked to the machine,
                      tool offset is but backlash is not compensated for in the encoder reading
                      (as far as I can see).

                      DumpsterCNC sells an anti-backlash nut but it is right handed thread an
                      also a bit bulky to be used on the X axis.

                      Gaston

                      --
                      /http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon//
                      <http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon/>

                      On 31/03/2013 6:02 AM, Tony Jeffree wrote:

                      > That's right. They are slit longitudinally and can be nipped up a bit to
                      > adjust for wear. However, on a CNC lathe, for most purposes backlash isn't
                      > an issue.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Tony
                      > On 31 Mar 2013 00:36, "Gaston Gagnon" <gaston.gagnon@...
                      <mailto:gaston.gagnon%40videotron.ca>
                      > <mailto:gaston.gagnon%40videotron.ca>> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Thanks Tony,
                      > > I suppose you are talking about what Taig calls the "Crosslide Screw
                      Nut"?
                      > > How do you adjust that nut and how close to 0 backlash can you get?
                      > > Gaston
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > /http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon//
                      <http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon/>

                      > > On 30/03/2013 6:29 PM, Tony Jeffree wrote:
                      > > > adjust the feed nuts

                      > <mailto:taigtools-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > >
                      > > Let the chips fly!
                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Yi Yao

                        Hi Jeff,

                        How do you squeeze the leadscrew nut? There isn't the same adjustment
                        mechanism that exists on the mill.

                        Yi

                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 31, 2013
                          You squeeze it in a vise, to compress it so that it's tighter. I find
                          that it's best done in a small drill press vise with smooth sides. I use
                          a set of feeler gages to determine the existing slot width. Then I
                          insert a feeler gage about .003-.005 thinner than the slot width into
                          the slot and squeeze to compress. Test for fit, and repeat as needed.
                          Putting a smaller feeler gage in the slot will keep you from compressing
                          it too much as it's very hard to open the nut up again after squeezing.

                          felice@... is Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein.
                          Learn more about us at http://www.nickandfelice.com
                          Message 12 of 30 , Mar 31, 2013
                            Backlash is only an issue when you are changing the direction in which the
                            backlash is taken up. On a lathe cross-slide, this doesn't happen under
                            normal conditions, so it isn't an issue. It doesn't have any effect on the
                            quality of cutting as you are always cutting when the backlash has been
                            taken up. Ba klash in the leadscrew is more of a problem - fr example if
                            you were cutting a chess piece or similar shape - because going from
                            cutting up to a peak to cutting dowwn to a valley there is a reversal in
                            the direction in which the leadscrew backlash is taken up. However, for
                            "normal" turning - tapers, plain turning to a shoulder, tgreading, etc.,
                            backlash in either feed screw isn't a big deal, any more than it is for
                            manual turning.

                            On Mar 31, 2013 5:16 PM, "Gaston Gagnon" <gaston.gagnon@...> wrote:

                            > The backlash I get comes from the "Crosslide Screw Nut", not from the
                            > coupler.
                            >
                            > You are right, Mach3's backlash compensation seems to work well. However, I
                            > would appreciate being enlighten on the practical effect of the backlash
                            > on the quality of the cutting and also on the tool?
                            >
                            > To operate the lathe by hand, I added an encoder on each axis and made a
                            > screen with large indicator in Mach3:
                            >
                            > http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon/taig-micro-lathe-1/encoder-for-cnc-manual/pictures/screen-r21.html
                            >
                            > That works well except contrary to gauges directly linked to the machine,
                            > tool offset is but backlash is not compensated for in the encoder reading
                            > (as far as I can see).
                            >
                            > DumpsterCNC sells an anti-backlash nut but it is right handed thread an
                            > also a bit bulky to be used on the X axis.
                            >
                            > Gaston
                            >
                            > --
                            > /http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon//
                            >
                            > On 31/03/2013 6:02 AM, Tony Jeffree wrote:
                            > >
                            > > That's right. They are slit longitudinally and can be nipped up a bit to
                            > > adjust for wear. However, on a CNC lathe, for most purposes backlash
                            > isn't
                            > > an issue.
                            > >
                            > > Regards,
                            > > Tony
                            > > On 31 Mar 2013 00:36, "Gaston Gagnon" <gaston.gagnon@...
                            > > <mailto:gaston.gagnon%40videotron.ca>> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Thanks Tony,
                            > > > I suppose you are talking about what Taig calls the "Crosslide Screw
                            > Nut"?
                            > > > How do you adjust that nut and how close to 0 backlash can you get?
                            > > > Gaston
                            > > >
                            > > > --
                            > > > /http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon//

                            > > > Let the chips fly!
                            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Yi Yao

                              OK, thanks for the info.

                              How well does it hold up after this procedure? Does it tend to deform
                              back?

                              Message 14 of 30 , Mar 31, 2013
                                Thanks Nick,
                                What is the best backlash you can get with this method?
                                Gaston

                                Message 15 of 30 , Mar 31, 2013
                                  Thanks Tony.

                                  Gaston

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Mar 31, 2013
                                    On 3/31/2013 11:46 AM, Gaston Gagnon wrote:
                                    > What is the best backlash you can get with this method?
                                    About a thou or three with the new ball bearing leadscrew.

                                    > How well does it hold up after this procedure? Does it tend to deform
                                    > back?
                                    Yes, it will always wear back over time. The tighter you adjust it the
                                    quicker it will wear. But it will hold up for a while.

                                    What Tony said generally about backlash not mattering as much is true
                                    though.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Mar 31, 2013
                                      On 31/03/2013 6:58 PM, Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein wrote:

                                      > On 3/31/2013 11:46 AM, Gaston Gagnon wrote:
                                      > > What is the best backlash you can get with this method?
                                      > About a thou or three with the new ball bearing leadscrew.

                                      I get you are still speaking of the Taig lathe? Where can I learn more
                                      about the new ball bearing leadscrew?

                                      --
                                      /http://public.fotki.com/Gaston-Gagnon//

                                    • Charles Geis
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Apr 1 4:52 AM
                                        You also mentioned this if for a CNC mill. Most CNC software have
                                        a procedures for backlash allowances. I run Mach3 and under
                                        settings/backlash. There is a spot to enter backlash calculations for each
                                        axis. When the Mill changes directions it automatically takes the extra
                                        steps. A good example, XYand Z when cutting a circle, without the
                                        backlashallowances, the circle becomes more elliptical.

                                        CGeis

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Apr 1 9:00 AM
                                          Hi Charles,
                                          the backlash compensation technique that you describe with Mach3 Mill is
                                          also available and working well with Mach3 Lathe. My concern was to
                                          minimize or get rid of the backlash physically.
                                          I have not tried it yet but the suggestion made was to tighten the Cross
                                          slide Screw Slitted Nut.
                                          Thanks for your comment.
                                          Gaston

                                          --

                                          On 01/04/2013 7:52 AM, Charles Geis wrote:
                                          > You also mentioned this if for a CNC mill. Most CNC software have
                                          > a procedures for backlash allowances. I run Mach3 and under
                                          > settings/backlash. There is a spot to enter backlash calculations for each
                                          > axis. When the Mill changes directions it automatically takes the extra
                                          > steps. A good example, XYand Z when cutting a circle, without the
                                          > backlashallowances, the circle becomes more elliptical.
                                          >
                                          > CGeis
                                          >

                                          > On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 9:12 PM, Gaston Gagnon
                                          > <gaston.gagnon@...>wrote:
                                          >
                                          >> **

                                          >>> About a thou or three with the new ball bearing leadscrew.
                                          >>>
                                          >> I get you are still speaking of the Taig lathe? Where can I learn more
                                          >> about the new ball bearing leadscrew?

                                        • Paul J. Ste. Marie
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Apr 1 9:11 AM
                                            On 3/31/2013 9:58 AM, Tony Jeffree wrote:
                                            > because going from
                                            > cutting up to a peak to cutting dowwn to a valley there is a reversal in
                                            > the direction in which the leadscrew backlash is taken up.

                                            Are you talking about the carriage or the cross slide?

                                            Either way, on a lathe, I would expect the cutting force to always take
                                            up the backlash in the same direction. The exception would be in the
                                            carriage if you went from a right-hand cut to left-hand cut, but that
                                            would require a tool change and thus again backlash is a non-issue.

                                            Am I missing something here? Even with something like a recessed face on
                                            a flywheel, you still need to change the tool setup between the inside
                                            of the outer circumference and the outside of the hub.
                                          • Ron Thompson
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Apr 1 10:03 AM
                                              CNC is capable of contour cuts, like in a chess pawn. So, yes, backlash
                                              can be a problem.

                                              On 4/1/2013 12:11 PM, Paul J. Ste. Marie wrote:

                                              > On 3/31/2013 9:58 AM, Tony Jeffree wrote:
                                              > > because going from
                                              > > cutting up to a peak to cutting dowwn to a valley there is a reversal in
                                              > > the direction in which the leadscrew backlash is taken up.
                                              >
                                              > Are you talking about the carriage or the cross slide?
                                              >
                                              > Either way, on a lathe, I would expect the cutting force to always take
                                              > up the backlash in the same direction. The exception would be in the
                                              > carriage if you went from a right-hand cut to left-hand cut, but that
                                              > would require a tool change and thus again backlash is a non-issue.
                                              >
                                              > Am I missing something here? Even with something like a recessed face on
                                              > a flywheel, you still need to change the tool setup between the inside
                                              > of the outer circumference and the outside of the hub.
                                              >

                                              > No virus found in this message.

                                              Ron Thompson

                                              Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!

                                              http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/

                                              Visit the castinghobby FAQ:

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Apr 1 11:19 AM
                                                ...but only a problem on the leadscrew, not the cross-slide.

                                                On 1 Apr 2013 18:03, "Ron Thompson" <ron@...> wrote:

                                                > CNC is capable of contour cuts, like in a chess pawn. So, yes, backlash
                                                > can be a problem.
                                                >
                                                > On 4/1/2013 12:11 PM, Paul J. Ste. Marie wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > On 3/31/2013 9:58 AM, Tony Jeffree wrote:
                                                > > > because going from
                                                > > > cutting up to a peak to cutting dowwn to a valley there is a reversal
                                                > in
                                                > > > the direction in which the leadscrew backlash is taken up.
                                                > >
                                                > > Are you talking about the carriage or the cross slide?
                                                > >
                                                > > Either way, on a lathe, I would expect the cutting force to always take
                                                > > up the backlash in the same direction. The exception would be in the
                                                > > carriage if you went from a right-hand cut to left-hand cut, but that
                                                > > would require a tool change and thus again backlash is a non-issue.
                                                > >
                                                > > Am I missing something here? Even with something like a recessed face on
                                                > > a flywheel, you still need to change the tool setup between the inside
                                                > > of the outer circumference and the outside of the hub.
                                                > >

                                                > > No virus found in this message.

                                                > Ron Thompson
                                                > On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space
                                                > Center, USA
                                                >
                                                > Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!
                                                >
                                                > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/
                                                >
                                                > http://www.plansandprojects.com My hobby pages are here:
                                                > http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/
                                                >
                                                > Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
                                                > http://castinghobbyfaq.bareboogerhost.com/

                                              • chuck
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Apr 1 12:37 PM
                                                  Tony,
                                                  I would think it would be more of an issue on the cross slide (X axis) and not the lead screw (Z axis).
                                                  when I have watched turning a profile on a piece of stock the Z axis is moving toward the chuck in one continuous motion while the X axis is moving in and out reversing direction along the profile than backing away and the Z moves back to the start to take another cut.
                                                  this would make backlash more critical on the cross slide (X axis) I would think. am I not correct?
                                                  I have not done any cnc on a lathe yet but have watched others, it just seems right.
                                                  feel free to correct me if I'm way off base.
                                                  Chuck

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Apr 1 1:17 PM
                                                    Chuck

                                                    Don't confuse the direction of movement with the direction of the cutting
                                                    forces acting on the tool.

                                                    When the tool is cutting metal there is always a component of the cutting
                                                    force that acts in the direcion of the operator, which takes up the
                                                    backlash in the cross-slide feed screw. The rest of the cutting force acts
                                                    in the axis of tge leadscrew, either to the right if cutting on the left
                                                    flank of the tool, or to the left if cutting on the right flank. So cross
                                                    slide backlash is always taken up in one direction whereas the direction
                                                    that leadscrew backlash is taken up depends on which flank of the tool is
                                                    doing the cutting.

                                                  • chuck
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Apr 1 2:04 PM
                                                      thanx Tony,
                                                      I stand corrected.

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Apr 2 12:11 PM
                                                        No problem.

                                                        On Apr 1, 2013 10:04 PM, "chuck" <chuckels@...> wrote:

                                                        > thanx Tony,
                                                        > I stand corrected.
                                                        > Chuck

                                                      • Paul J. Ste. Marie
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Apr 3 10:21 AM
                                                          On 4/1/2013 10:03 AM, Ron Thompson wrote:
                                                          > CNC is capable of contour cuts, like in a chess pawn. So, yes, backlash
                                                          > can be a problem.

                                                          Isn't the force from the lathe always pushing the tool away from the
                                                          work? I've never noticed any tendency for the tool to dig into the work
                                                          running by hand, although I haven't turned any brass on the lathe.

                                                          Typical lathe tools only cut one way in Z, so lead screw backlash isn't
                                                          usually going to be an issue, either.
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Apr 4 5:06 AM
                                                            Paul -

                                                            See my posts earlier in this thread.

                                                            You are right about the cross-slide backlash, and right about most plain
                                                            turning operations, but if you were cutting a contour where the tool
                                                            changes from cutting on one flank to cutting on the other (e.g., a chess
                                                            piece), then although the Z travel would be all in one direction, the
                                                            cutting force on the tool would change directions as the cutting action
                                                            changes flanks. At the point where the direction of the cutting force
                                                            reverses, the direction in which any leadscrew backlash is taken up also
                                                            reverses. This is exactly the same problem you get with a milling machine
                                                            when you try to mill a circular path and you have backlash in the X and/or
                                                            Y feeds. The reason that it is not a problem with the cross slide is that
                                                            (for obvious reasons) you never switch from cutting on the nose of the tool
                                                            to cutting on its back end.

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Apr 5 10:44 AM
                                                              On 4/4/2013 5:06 AM, Tony Jeffree wrote:
                                                              > if you were cutting a contour where the tool
                                                              > changes from cutting on one flank to cutting on the other (e.g., a chess
                                                              > piece), then although the Z travel would be all in one direction, the
                                                              > cutting force on the tool would change directions as the cutting action
                                                              > changes flanks.

                                                              How does that work? Tool with zero side rake? IIRC that's how Taig
                                                              grinds their round v-nose tool, but my experiences with that tool have
                                                              been less than stellar.

                                                              I haven't done any CNC on the lathe, but for something like the little
                                                              flange under the head of a chess piece I'd expect to do two passes, one
                                                              from the right, a second from the left, and switch out tools in between.
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Apr 5 11:19 AM
                                                                Use a V tool (e.g., a thread cutting tool).