Re: [taigtools] Why not a Taig workshop?

  • Yi Yao

      Hi Clark,

      Haha, no, I am not inspirational. Dean, John Bently, Alan Pinkus, to
      name a few are inspirational. I don't consider myself inspirational,
      at least not yet.

      Take a look at Dean's site:
      http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

      Personally, I found the boring bar holder and tailstock indicator
      holder to be most relevant to my regular use. One of these days, I
      know I want to try and make my own boring head or rotary table.

      I do all my single point threading on my Myford, so I didn't have a
      leadscrew or anything like that on my Taig. As for indexing, I usually
      turn the part on a lathe and clamp it down on my Taig CNC mill and use
      the computer to spot all the bolt hole patterns. Sorry, I couldn't
      offer a useful answer here.

      Most of the Taig accessories that I built were for my mill. Very
      ironic, but the first thing I built for my CNC mill was a set of
      manual handles that I could install on the end of the double shaft
      stepper motors.

      I can't imagine living without fly cutters, so I made that next.
      Please note, for a right handed spindle (like most spindles), you need
      a left handed single point cutter to do fly cutting. If you make your
      own fly cutter, remember to put the slot for the tool on the correct
      side of centre. The first one I made was wrong and it wasn't obvious
      until I tried to use it.

      Of course, you probably want slitting saw arbour, dovetail cutter, and
      ever other tool you will eventually use. I haven't gotten around to
      documenting everything, but I did a small write up on my dovetail cutter:
      http://yyao.ca/projects/indexable_dovetail_cutter/
      The turning was done on my Myford, because I didn't have a Taig lathe
      at the time, but there's no reason why you can't use a Taig to do it.

      I made a QCTP after that. No write up available for that yet. But that
      was the reason for making the dovetail cutter.

      All that was done with the mill in manual mode. No CNC stuff.

      Cheers,
      Yi

      On 26/03/13 09:41 AM, Misc Clark wrote:

> [...]
      >> and then the other, until I finally decided on Lathemaster 9x30
      >> and a Lathemaster LM25L, and also looked at band saws and belt
      >> sanders, because several sites said I needed those. Supposedly
      >> the Lathemaster is higher quality and bigger than some of the
      >> other Asian machines I considered. Then I thought about CNC
      >> because I love computers, but became discouraged over all the
      >> comments about needing to learn manual machining first. Then I
      >> saw all the comments saying I should hold out for a used
      >> Bridgeport because all those Asian imports are crap. Then I
      >> looked at my garage and the limited space I have and thought,
      >> where are you going put all that stuff? And you can hardly drill
      >> a decent hole in wood -- what if you have absolutely no aptitude
      >> in machining, and what are you planning on making anyway? So I
      >> started downsizing my dreams of being a machinist to the point
      >> where I am back at Taig again. I had to relook at my goals.
      >
      >> First, I want to learn how to make things with my own hands.
      >> Although I have used things that other people have made, I've
      >> never made anything significant involving craftsmanship. I've
      >> spent over 10 years flying jets as a naval aviator and as a
      >> Learjet Captain, 10 years as an Aerospace engineer involved with
      >> aircraft, Space Shuttle, and satellite projects, and 20 years as
      >> a lawyer, so I'm not afraid of trying something new. But I admire
      >> those of you that make practical or beautiful things out of
      >> scraps of metal, and I want to be just like you. But I don't know
      >> how passionate I will be until I do it. I know I am tired of
      >> killing trees and inking paper. Historically, when I start a
      >> hobby, I run with it. But that is only if I love it. Here, I just
      >> imagine I would love it, although it is a much greater depth of
      >> imagination that my desire to play the piano, which will never
      >> happen.
      >
      >> Second, I want to make models and toys for grandkids as a means
      >> of learning machining skills.
      >
      >> Third, I don't know where I am going from there. I would like to
      >> be a hobby gunsmith so I might put my hopefully acquired
      >> machining skills to work there. Or I might want to make knives,
      >> or pens, or chessmen or whatever. I see lots of project ideas and
      >> even specializations that look like fun, but who knows.
      >
      >> So, I'm back at Taig. I'm thinking that I will either decide
      >> Taig is big enough or it isn't. And when it isn't, I can buy a
      >> bigger set up then. And since this is forum with a lot of Taig
      >> users, I thought I'd ask this question. Will I regret setting up
      >> shop with the Taig to start with, and if so, why? And if you are
      >> a Taig user that found yourself size-limited, how long did that
      >> take, and do you regret starting at the micro level? And finally,
      >> if you were trying to just learn basic machining skills, what
      >> projects would you consider starting with?
      >
      >> If you read this far, thank you. I look forward to reading your

    • Steve Wan
      Message 42 of 42 , Oct 16, 2013
        Hi Yi Yao

        Thanks for the info, I read about the white Babbitt metal bearings (tin-based).
        They were cast direct into the spindle.

        Steve Wan