Re: [taigtools] Leadscrew Issue

  • James Riser
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
      Did you adjust gibs?
      On Mar 26, 2013 9:05 AM, "jtursi22" <jtursi22@...> wrote:

      > I have just purchased a Taig 2019 CNC mill. This weekend I assembled it
      > and put on the servo motors according to some videos/tutorials that I have
      > seen on different websites. The X and Y axis work great. There is minimal
      > play in the lead screws and I am fairly confident that I have installed
      > them correctly. The problem I have is with the Z axis. My Z axis cannot
      > be turned with the servo motor and even with the servo motor off it is
      > really hard to move. The following is what I have done to try and fix the
      > problem;
      >
      > 1.I removed the Z axis assembly (slide, lead screw) from the column.
      > Cleaned off all of the grease, chips, grim. Lubricated the lead screw
      > with silicone, fed the lead screw into the nut. Still the lead screw cannot
      > be move smoothly by hand. It is better than before cleaning.
      >
      > 2.I loosened the 3 screws on the nut that the lead screw feeds into.
      > Still the lead screw cannot be moved smoothly by hand.
      >
      > 3.I removed the lead screw from the nut to check if the bearing were bad.
      > The lead screw rotated good out of the nut. I fed it back in and still
      > the lead screw would not move smoothly by hand.
      >
      > 4.I adjusted the nylon nut(holds motor coupler in place) per the video on
      > taigmachines.com but still the lead screw does not move smoothly by hand.
      >
      > After doing all of the items above, the Z axis is still rough.
      >
      > Questions:
      >
      > 1.Should I grease the lead screw and the nut? What type of grease should
      > I use?
      >
      > 2.Should I lubricate the lead screw with oil? What type of oil should I
      > use?
      >
      > 3.Has anyone had a similar experience?
      >
      > 4.Do I need a new lead screw and nut?
      >
      > 5.Does anyone have any suggestions?

    • Jim Stoll
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 27, 2013
        I am in no way associated with Micromark, other than being a very satisfied customer of their 7x16 lathe. I do get their newsletter though - they're running a sale for the next 5 days, and their 7x16 lathe (http://tinyurl.com/bv59p42) is discounted $100 to $750. If you happen to have been waiting to get a good deal on a good lathe, this ain't too shabby.

        Jim

      • juangelt
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 28, 2013
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFF3w5wo6Ig
          visit this man's channel for detailed tutorial info oh setting up and adjustment of taig mills.