Re: [taigtools] Spindle ticking noise

  • Ron Thompson
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 17, 2013
      I agree on all counts. I used to cut gears and ate a couple of belts
      before I figured out they are picky on alignment. I still have a couple
      of new ones on the shelf.
      Once lined up right, they last a good long time.

      If you catch a belt that is starting to wear on one side, you can flip
      it to wear until straight, then adjust the alignment and get some more
      life from it.
      I did this once while waiting for new belts to arrive.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 17, 2013
        Your situation and mine are probably different, but my 3-jaw chuck has ticked from day1.  Something in it is loose.  Doesn't matter if I have it "tight as dick's hatband", or flopping in the breeze.  Once it hits about 1200 RPM, the ticking stops.

        The ticking (in my machine) happens with the belt off.
        I can spin it by hand and hear it.

        I don't pay any attention to it -- it is just what the machine sounds like!

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 17, 2013
          I adjusted the belt and the noise went away.

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 17, 2013
            Belt adjustment is particularly critical on the mill because it is so
            short. I had this a while back and concluded that the click was from the
            belt attempting to flip inside out and then flipping back....careful
            adjustment to get the pulleys in line and square to each other fixed it.