Re: 3 Jaw Chuck

  • Rockman4418
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 6, 2013
      After attempting this numerous times without recognizable effects. I just gave up and purchased a new 4 jaw self centering scroll chuck from www.amtools.com and they have 3 jaw chucks as well with already machined steel jaws.

      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <jbutton@...> wrote:

      > I.ve just got a lathe which appears unused.
      >
      > Recent posts refer to truing or boring the soft jaws.
      >
      > How is this done? drill in the tailstock or what? And how much ability to grip small objects do you lose?
      >
      > Any explanations for dummies welcome!
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > JohnB
      > Poole UK

    • JOHN
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 6, 2013
        > The sheet that comes with the Chuck is here
        > http://medw.co.uk/fisheye/view_image.php?image_id=8232
        >
        > --
        Hello Lester
        Thanks for the link
        That makes things a bit clearer...Do I use a LH tool on the cross slide? Seems to me that a cross slide mounted tool would pick up any non parallelism of headstock and bed

        sorry fot the dumb questions but this is all new to me - the last lathe I used -many more years ago than I care to remember- had a litte adj screw by each jaw and I was told 'do not touch them, or else'

        73
        JohnB G8JMB