Re: [taigtools] 3 Jaw Chuck

    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 5, 2013
      3 jaw chucks are fine for general turning (.003" is fair accuracy).
      If you know that most of the stuff you will be turning will be at a specific size, use a washer close to that size.  The scroll at one size will be off one direction, and at another size, it might be another.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 6, 2013
        On 3/5/2013 3:36 PM, Will Schmit wrote:
        > If you know that most of the stuff you will be turning will be at a specific size, use a washer close to that size. The scroll at one size will be off one direction, and at another size, it might be another.

        Or just adjust the jaws a bit when you go from one size to another.
        They're fairly cheap (pennies if you make your own replacements) and if
        you're careful you can true them up at various sizes for quite a while
        without running out of metal. I have one set set up for around 1/4" or
        so and another for items more on the order of 1".
      • Rockman4418
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 6, 2013
          After attempting this numerous times without recognizable effects. I just gave up and purchased a new 4 jaw self centering scroll chuck from www.amtools.com and they have 3 jaw chucks as well with already machined steel jaws.

          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <jbutton@...> wrote:

          > I.ve just got a lathe which appears unused.
          >
          > Recent posts refer to truing or boring the soft jaws.
          >
          > How is this done? drill in the tailstock or what? And how much ability to grip small objects do you lose?
          >
          > Any explanations for dummies welcome!
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > JohnB
          > Poole UK

        • JOHN
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 6, 2013
            > The sheet that comes with the Chuck is here
            > http://medw.co.uk/fisheye/view_image.php?image_id=8232
            >
            > --
            Hello Lester
            Thanks for the link
            That makes things a bit clearer...Do I use a LH tool on the cross slide? Seems to me that a cross slide mounted tool would pick up any non parallelism of headstock and bed

            sorry fot the dumb questions but this is all new to me - the last lathe I used -many more years ago than I care to remember- had a litte adj screw by each jaw and I was told 'do not touch them, or else'

            73
            JohnB G8JMB