Re: z axis leadscrew bearing?

  • Stuart
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 22, 2013
      Mill CNC leadscrews take 2 608RS bearings each axis.
      608 = 8MM ID 22MM OD 7MM wide
      RS = Rubber Seals

      Popular with SkateBoarder!!
      I picked up a tube of high spped ABEC 5's from a local shop!!
      Cheap!!!

      Stuart
    • Jeffrey Birt
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 22, 2013
        Not meaning to pick on you in particular Stuart, there may be a difference
        in how we all define the term 'cheap'. I always tend to stay away from
        'cheap', I would much rather get a good product for the money I spend, i.e.
        value; you most likely did get good parts but I just wanted to sound a
        general warning for all to consider.

        Cheap bearings tend to be 'cheap' in how they are manufactured and no matter
        what it says on the tin I would not believe it. Cheap import parts are known
        to have very 'creative' ratings. There are also good import brands from the
        East, and from Turkey, etc. You just have to know what you are buying. If
        you have a source of good bearings locally then that would probably be a
        great route to go. A reputable local supplier like Stuart found would be a
        great resource as you can't typically stay in business selling junk to local
        folks. I always like shopping as locally as possible as well. If you don't
        have such a source then take a look at:

        http://www.soigeneris.com/taig_mill_parts-details.aspx

        and

        http://www.soigeneris.com/taig_lathe_parts-details.aspx

        These are interactive parts diagrams for the Taig machines. I spent a fair
        bit of time putting them together to try and make searching for parts
        easier. As time goes on I'll add photos of each parts which will be a big
        benefit to just help identify a part. Common parts like bearings, lead nuts,
        etc I usually have in stock.

        Jeff Birt

        Soigeneris.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2013
          A very good source for bearings is an Ebay source, USA Bearings and Belts. I started using them for bearings for model airplane engines about five years ago, and they have provided very good quality and are inexpensive. Do an Ebay Search "USA Bearings and Belts" Then pick one of the bearings and then click the Store home. Enter the bearing number.

          They provide a couple grades of bearings. Their Premimum bearings are what I prefer, slightly more, but a better fit. I've used them for spindle bearings, lead screw bearings, as well as engine bearings. I've tried some other companies on Ebay and from adds in Model airplane magazines, and this company's "Premium" bearings are very good. Their regular bearings are like the rest, OK for Skate Boards but not so great for precession fits.

          An example "(Qty 2) 608-2RS Premium ABEC 3 Sealed Bearings,8x22x7, 608 RS,Kyodo Grease is $4.90 including shipping". A quanity of 10 of the same is $9.74

          Don

          PS I have no interest in this company other than being a satisfied customer

          --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Birt" <birt_j@...> wrote:

          > Not meaning to pick on you in particular Stuart, there may be a difference
          > in how we all define the term 'cheap'. I always tend to stay away from
          > 'cheap', I would much rather get a good product for the money I spend, i.e.
          > value; you most likely did get good parts but I just wanted to sound a
          > general warning for all to consider.
          >

          > Cheap bearings tend to be 'cheap' in how they are manufactured and no matter
          > what it says on the tin I would not believe it. Cheap import parts are known
          > to have very 'creative' ratings. There are also good import brands from the
          > East, and from Turkey, etc. You just have to know what you are buying. If
          > you have a source of good bearings locally then that would probably be a
          > great route to go. A reputable local supplier like Stuart found would be a
          > great resource as you can't typically stay in business selling junk to local
          > folks. I always like shopping as locally as possible as well. If you don't
          > have such a source then take a look at:
          >

          > http://www.soigeneris.com/taig_mill_parts-details.aspx
          >

          > and
          >

          > http://www.soigeneris.com/taig_lathe_parts-details.aspx
          >

          > These are interactive parts diagrams for the Taig machines. I spent a fair
          > bit of time putting them together to try and make searching for parts
          > easier. As time goes on I'll add photos of each parts which will be a big
          > benefit to just help identify a part. Common parts like bearings, lead nuts,
          > etc I usually have in stock.
          >

          > Jeff Birt
          >
          > Soigeneris.com

        • chuck
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 22, 2013
            also try Boca Bearings.
            they have everything from economy grade to high speed ceramics.