Lining up rotary table and tailstock on mill table

  • Douglas Vogt
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 12, 2013
      Has anyone got a quick way to line up a Sherline rotary table and adjustable tailstock mounted on the Tail mill table? The setup is for milling small clock pinions. One end of the steel blank is to be centered in a four-jaw chuck, the other in a center in the tailstock.

      The usual way is to mount a bar between centers and check with a DTI but the rotary table does not have provision for using centers. If the two attachments can be lined up with a long bar, the problem is to maintain this setup after moving the tailstock in to accommodate the shorter piece of stock. The T-nuts are a much looser fit in the slots than the typical lathe tailstock.

    • Martin Dobbins
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 12, 2013
        Doug,

        See:

        http://www.sherline.com/tip41.htm

        Nope, you want horizontal not vertical.  How about turning the head of the bolt to a center that you can use in the rotary table?  Or you could use this tip straight up if you arrange the dimple to fit your pinion blank.

        Martin

        ________________________________
        Has anyone got a quick way to line up a Sherline rotary table and adjustable tailstock mounted on the Tail mill table? The setup is for milling small clock pinions. One end of the steel blank is to be centered in a four-jaw chuck, the other in a center in the tailstock.

        The usual way is to mount a bar between centers and check with a DTI but the rotary table does not have provision for using centers. If the two attachments can be lined up with a long bar, the problem is to maintain this setup after moving the tailstock in to accommodate the shorter piece of stock. The T-nuts are a much looser fit in the slots than the typical lathe tailstock.

      • Ken Cline
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 12, 2013
          A2Z makes a tooling plate with mounting holes for the Sherline rotary table and a T-slot for the tailstock. Depending on required accuracy, you may still need to dial in the tailstock.

          On 12 Feb 2013, at 11:33 AM, Douglas Vogt wrote:

          > Has anyone got a quick way to line up a Sherline rotary table and adjustable tailstock mounted on the Tail mill table? The setup is for milling small clock pinions. One end of the steel blank is to be centered in a four-jaw chuck, the other in a center in the tailstock.
          >
          > The usual way is to mount a bar between centers and check with a DTI but the rotary table does not have provision for using centers. If the two attachments can be lined up with a long bar, the problem is to maintain this setup after moving the tailstock in to accommodate the shorter piece of stock. The T-nuts are a much looser fit in the slots than the typical lathe tailstock.

        • Shane Adams
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 12, 2013
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 13, 2013
              Looks well built.  I use XL belts on all my axis', but Nema 17 is mighty small.

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 13, 2013
                That's actually a good idea and I tried it. Unfortunately, the commercial 3/8 bolts are a sloppy fit in the rotary table threads. Most of my work will involve a 4-jaw chuck. The factory 3/8 x 16 to 3/4 x 16 adapter screw to attach a chuck to the table is off, at least I hope that's all that's wrong. I centered a 1/4 rod in the 4-jaw chuck to half a thou accuracy, moved the whole thing to the rotary table and it was 25 thou off. What I've been doing is centering on the lathe, finish turning and then recentering on the mill to account for the 25 thou problem. Nothing is easy.

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 13, 2013
                  Doug,

                  Had another thought, if you scroll down to tip 41B right underneath and extrapolate from that, how about turning a light press fit for the area above the threads on the rotary table with a center turned on the other end  (make sure you have some means of extracting it after!)?  That would allow you to get the tailstock centered and the spindle centered over the rotary table.  If you think the factory 3/8-16 to 3/4-16 adapter screw is out that much, call Sherline and explain what is happening they may well have some constructive suggestions.

                  Martin

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 13, 2013
                    i put the rotary mount on an aluminum slab so i could bolt on the motor mount (home brew)
                    the motor mount overhangs the table and provides an edge that keeps it aligned on the x axis - i haven't had to adjust it.
                    to get it horizontal, i inserted a 3/8 drill rod that was true and ran a gauge along the top. it was a few thousandths high on the flying end 8 inches out.
                    i didn't bother to shim cuz i have a tailstock for it that holds the flying end right when it's important.

                    --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Martin Dobbins wrote:

                    > Doug,
                    >
                    > See:
                    >
                    > http://www.sherline.com/tip41.htm
                    >
                    > Nope, you want horizontal not vertical.  How about turning the head of the bolt to a center that you can use in the rotary table?  Or you could use this tip straight up if you arrange the dimple to fit your pinion blank.
                    >
                    > Martin
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • juangelt
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 13, 2013
                      i don't see a prob with the motor, in principle, cuz it's geared down some.
                      but a belt seems like it would have scary backlash to me...i'd want to test it to know for sure... unlike a screw driven axis, all the forces of cutting are on that belt, it looks like.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 13, 2013
                        I think it would be just fine as long as you stick to machining soft
                        cheese...

                        Seriously, those timing belts are pretty tough, so the risk of stretch is
                        minimal, especially compared with the relatively small torque the motor can
                        generate; the downside of a worm drive is that it will probably have some
                        backlash. On the other hand, you can't back-drive a worm and wheel, whereas
                        you potentially can back-drive a wimpy little motor on what looks like a
                        3:1 (or so) reduction gearing. So while it might be a good solution for
                        light machining (wax, engraving a ring...whatever) I wouldn't choose it if
                        I was wanting to cut gears.

                        On 14 February 2013 04:33, juangelt <juangelt@...> wrote:

                        > i don't see a prob with the motor, in principle, cuz it's geared down some.
                        > but a belt seems like it would have scary backlash to me...i'd want to
                        > test it to know for sure... unlike a screw driven axis, all the forces of
                        > cutting are on that belt, it looks like.
                        >

                        > --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Will Schmit wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Looks well built. I use XL belts on all my axis', but Nema 17 is
                        > mighty small.

                      • juangelt
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 14, 2013
                          i'd guess you're right that it would fail first by rotating the motor before it would stretch the little belt, even tho any stretch would be exaggerated by work of larger diameter.
                          so- soft cheese with a diameter smaller than the pulley so it doesn't give mechanical advantage...lol