round drive belt

  • JOHN
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 11, 2013
      Has any one used a round [rather than 3m V] polyurethane belt on the taig lathe? And did it work?
      B3m500 belts are very overpriced in the UK

      Cheers
      JohnB
    • Stan Stocker
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 11, 2013
        Hi John,

        I used it on a spare Taig headstock and bed I used for a pivot polisher
        (clock work). I never had any issues. The 3mm belting seems to nestle
        down into the original pulleys pretty well, although if you want to get
        real torque you might be better off with variable speed and purpose made
        pulleys to match the round belt better OR a flat belt or timing belt for
        drive.

        Take care,
        Stan

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 12, 2013
          While I use XL belts on the Taig, I use round belts (probably buna) O-rings on my key machines.  Last time I bought one was in 2005.  I told the guy at the o-ring store to give me 2.  He said, "you will probably never need it, but keep it in a sealed baggie, so it doesn't deteriorate from time".  I cut tens of thousands of keys every year, and the spare is still sitting in the toolbox.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 14, 2013
            Thanks for the info. is there anothe name for buna ? It's not recognised here
            Cheers
            John

            --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, Will Schmit wrote:

            > While I use XL belts on the Taig, I use round belts (probably buna) O-rings on my key machines.

            > Has any one used a round [rather than 3m V] polyurethane belt on the taig lathe?
          • george
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 18, 2013
              buna-n is the lowest grade, but it's used in many applications.  V-belts are fiber enforced. My belt going on 2 years. If that o-ring is on the shelf , I'd use it. But, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one instead of the v-belt. Update it us on how long it lasted.

              ________________________________

              --- In mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com, Will Schmit wrote:

              > While I use XL belts on the Taig, I use round belts (probably buna) O-rings on my key machines.

              > Has any one used a round [rather than 3m V] polyurethane belt on the taig lathe?

            • pe3hmp
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 18, 2013
                lets see the person I bought it from had it for over 10 years, never replaced the V belt, I ordered a spare one from cartertools some years ago, never used it, I think I have the taig now for 5 years, so I can say that after 15 years it still is not warn, it is used one hour a week average I think, so they are pretty good, the brand is gates, nut i am sure there are more quality brands.

                buna-n is the lowest grade, but it's used in many applications. V-belts are fiber enforced. My belt going on 2 years. If that o-ring is on the shelf , I'd use it. But, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one instead of the v-belt. Update it us on how long it lasted.

                ________________________________
                Thanks for the info. is there anothe name for buna ? It's not recognised here
                Cheers
                John

                --- In mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com, Will Schmit wrote:

                > While I use XL belts on the Taig, I use round belts (probably buna) O-rings on my key machines.

                > Has any one used a round [rather than 3m V] polyurethane belt on the taig lathe?

              • iconoscopedude
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 18, 2013
                  --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <jbutton@...> wrote:

                  > Has any one used a round [rather than 3m V] polyurethane belt on the taig lathe? And did it work?
                  > B3m500 belts are very overpriced in the UK
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > JohnB

                  I use 3/16" round polyurethane weldable belts in place of the original V belt.
                  The round poly belt has superior grip on the pulleys compared to the original v belts. Poly belts also wear much better than the original. I buy the belt material in 10 foot lengths and cut it to size, welding the ends together using nothing more than a candle to melt the material ends, then push the ends together, let cool and trim off the excess. Poly belt material can be found in a number of places online, just do a search to locate a source.
                • Paul J. Ste. Marie
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 18, 2013
                    On 2/18/2013 12:45 AM, pe3hmp wrote:
                    > the brand is gates, nut i am sure there are more quality brands.

                    Gates belts are a 3M brand, and pretty durable.
                  • Boman33
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 18, 2013
                      I understand the convenience of the weldable round belts but I do not
                      understand why they should be superior. A lot of people, me included, have
                      zero problems with the V-belts.

                      Further , if round is superior, why is almost every industrial application
                      using V-belts instead of round belts?

                      How did you measure the grip on the two types of belts and how did you do
                      the life testing?

                      Bertho

                      From iconoscopedude Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 13:55

                      --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com <mailto:taigtools%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                      "JOHN" wrote:

                      > Has any one used a round [rather than 3m V] polyurethane belt on the taig
                      lathe? And did it work?
                      > B3m500 belts are very overpriced in the UK
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      > JohnB

                      I use 3/16" round polyurethane weldable belts in place of the original V
                      belt.
                      The round poly belt has superior grip on the pulleys compared to the
                      original v belts. Poly belts also wear much better than the original. I buy
                      the belt material in 10 foot lengths and cut it to size, welding the ends
                      together using nothing more than a candle to melt the material ends, then
                      push the ends together, let cool and trim off the excess. Poly belt material
                      can be found in a number of places online, just do a search to locate a
                      source.

                    • ED MAISEY
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 18, 2013
                        John,

                           how much are the belts you mention in UK?

                        ........Edmund.........

                        ________________________________
                        I understand the convenience of the weldable round belts but I do not
                        understand why they should be superior. A lot of people, me included, have
                        zero problems with the V-belts.

                        Further , if round is superior, why is almost every industrial application
                        using V-belts instead of round belts?

                        How did you measure the grip on the two types of belts and how did you do
                        the life testing?

                        Bertho

                        From iconoscopedude Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 13:55

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 19, 2013
                          John,

                             the belts you mention, are good for 5,000 hrs and the cost here is $9.20 that's 5.87 sterling, the shipping can't cost too much for such a small item,

                          ........Edmund.........

                          ________________________________
                          I understand the convenience of the weldable round belts but I do not
                          understand why they should be superior. A lot of people, me included, have
                          zero problems with the V-belts.

                          Further , if round is superior, why is almost every industrial application
                          using V-belts instead of round belts?

                          How did you measure the grip on the two types of belts and how did you do
                          the life testing?

                          Bertho

                          From iconoscopedude Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 13:55

                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 19, 2013
                            The only way I have found to destroy the Gates belts is to mis-align the
                            pulleys and then run the machine on high speed for an extended period.
                            Properly set up, they last very well, and in my experience, provide better
                            traction than round belts in those V-pulleys.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 19, 2013
                              On 02/19/2013 04:17 AM, Tony Jeffree wrote:
                              > The only way I have found to destroy the Gates belts is to mis-align the
                              > pulleys and then run the machine on high speed for an extended period.
                              > Properly set up, they last very well, and in my experience, provide better
                              > traction than round belts in those V-pulleys.
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              > Tony

                              Hi Group,

                              I'm still using the original belt from 1996, spare purchased with lathe
                              is still in drawer. As many have said, line it up and all is well. I
                              have used fused lathe belting for jewelers lathes and to run one of the
                              Taigs from a sewing machine motor for a pivot polisher. Nothing wrong
                              with them, but nothing particularly better either. A tad more stretch,
                              with a cut that starts to chatter you can get a little stretch/shrink
                              action in a round belt that doesn't happen (at least as obviously) in
                              the Gates V belt.

                              People used to freak over the use of thin belts on Chinese 9 inch lathes
                              because they look small. Half the "read lots, cut little, don't have
                              one but it's obvious" folks were quick to claim the sky would fall
                              because that thin belt must be a huge failure point. Never broke one in
                              my life. Happy to be rid of the crappy 920 lathe, but the belts were
                              one of the few things that did not create any problems.

                              Best to all,
                              Stan
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 19, 2013
                                You are dead-right Tony.
                                A mis-aligned belt will deform quickly. Once it develops a left turn, it will be trouble forever.  I was lucky.  I caught the problem early (after reading expert accounts here).  I realized the problem, turned the belt over.  Let it run the other direction for a while, then fixed the alignment.

                                ________________________________
                                The only way I have found to destroy the Gates belts is to mis-align the
                                pulleys and then run the machine on high speed for an extended period.
                                Properly set up, they last very well, and in my experience, provide better
                                traction than round belts in those V-pulleys.

                                On 19 February 2013 05:59, Paul J. Ste. Marie taig@...> wrote:

                                > On 2/18/2013 12:45 AM, pe3hmp wrote:
                                > > the brand is gates, nut i am sure there are more quality brands.
                                >
                                > Gates belts are a 3M brand, and pretty durable.

                              • Jeffrey Birt
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 19, 2013
                                  Here is a link to a video that shows an easy way I found to align the Taig spindle belt. Trying to support the weight of the spindle motor whilst aligning it is difficult to do and can lead to misalignment issues and quickly wearing belts.

                                  Have a look, hopefully it will be of some use:

                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5phIlhubNQ <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5phIlhubNQ&list=UU6n7eWUxKSi6NPsycpa17iQ&index=6> &list=UU6n7eWUxKSi6NPsycpa17iQ&index=6

                                  Jeff Birt

                                  Soigeneris.com

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 20, 2013
                                    --- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com, ED MAISEY <holmes_ca_2000@...> wrote:

                                    > John,
                                    >
                                    >    the belts you mention, are good for 5,000 hrs and the cost here is $9.20 that's 5.87 sterling, the shipping can't cost too much for such a small item,
                                    >
                                    > ........Edmund.........
                                    Hi Edmund
                                    I live in England and there is a major problem with ordering ANYTHING from the USA. Even small orders can get caught up in customs and then there are substantial surcharges and handling charges and mail admin reclaim charges coming to many times the item cost - even if there is no duty. The 3m500 belt here is £12 ie 20$

                                    Cheeers
                                    John
                                  • Lester Caine
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 20, 2013
                                      JOHN wrote:
                                      > Hi Edmund
                                      > I live in England and there is a major problem with ordering ANYTHING from the USA. Even small orders can get caught up in customs and then there are substantial surcharges and handling charges and mail admin reclaim charges coming to many times the item cost - even if there is no duty. The 3m500 belt here is £12 ie 20$

                                      http://medw.co.uk/wiki/view/Taig+Mill+Spares
                                      But I have had to put the price up recently as shipping on the last batch was
                                      silly money :(

                                      --
                                      Lester Caine - G8HFL
                                      -----------------------------
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 20, 2013
                                        John,

                                           I have the same trouble up here in Canada, if I order anything most times it has to come from the USA, shipping has got ridiculous, it can be double of three times the cost of the item, even if I purchased a belt for you and mailed it to you it would still cost you at least $20.00 cdn dollars so you wouldn't be any better off, personally I would stay with Gates, just make sure its lined up,

                                        ........Edmund.........

                                        ________________________________

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                          USPS Priority shipping went up $2~$4 for a small fat rate box to most places in the world, it is $18~$24 dollars now depending on where you are shipping to. Some places in the USA, like my company, will ship First Class Mail internationally. These packages have to be less than #4 but can save about 1/3 of the shipping cost over Priority mail. I was recently surprised though that it seemed the USPS Express International prices seem to be much more competitive. I was able to ship Sherline mill package to Spain much less expensively than any other method. For really large shipments DHL is usually a good deal if you can pick the parcel up yourself at the destination airport.

                                          In general I would suggest calling or emailing the place you want to buy from in the USA to see what the best way to ship will be. I know I try to get my customers the best rate possible and many other vendors will do the same thing. If you’re going to be buying things from multiple vendors in the USA find one that will consolidate your shipment for you. There may a small charge but it will be much less than paying for multiple shipments. Most places will not advertise this service but may be willing to provide it for good customers.

                                          Jeff Birt

                                          Soigeneris.com

                                          I have the same trouble up here in Canada, if I order anything most times it has to come from the USA, shipping has got ridiculous, it can be double of three times the cost of the item, even if I purchased a belt for you and mailed it to you it would still cost you at least $20.00 cdn dollars so you wouldn't be any better off, personally I would stay with Gates, just make sure its lined up,

                                          ........Edmund.........

                                          ________________________________
                                          > Â Â the belts you mention, are good for 5,000 hrs and the cost here is $9.20 that's 5.87 sterling, the shipping can't cost too much for such a small item,
                                          > ........Edmund.........
                                          Hi Edmund
                                          I live in England and there is a major problem with ordering ANYTHING from the USA. Even small orders can get caught up in customs and then there are substantial surcharges and handling charges and mail admin reclaim charges coming to many times the item cost - even if there is no duty. The 3m500 belt here is £12 ie 20$

                                          Cheeers
                                          John

                                        • Pierre Coueffin
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                            Fifteen years or so ago I worked at a place where they hired someone just
                                            to deal with shipping and customs stuff. At the time, I wondered how that
                                            could be a full time job. Over the course of the next year, when she had
                                            saved the company almost a million dollars, and many lost days waiting on
                                            shipments to arrive, I concluded that shipping and receiving is more
                                            complicated than I had assumed when you do a lot of it.

                                          • Paul J. Ste. Marie
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                              On 2/21/2013 7:02 AM, Jeffrey Birt wrote:
                                              > USPS Priority shipping went up $2~$4 for a small fat rate box to most
                                              > places in the world,

                                              In the case of the Gates belt in question, you could shove several
                                              hundred into the smallest flat rate box without trying hard. To ship
                                              one, I'd just put it between a couple of index cards, drop it in a
                                              regular letter envelope, and stick a stamp on it. I'd be surprised if
                                              it exceeded 1 oz and you needed a second stamp.
                                            • Lester Caine
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                                Paul J. Ste. Marie wrote:
                                                > On 2/21/2013 7:02 AM, Jeffrey Birt wrote:
                                                >> >USPS Priority shipping went up $2~$4 for a small fat rate box to most
                                                >> >places in the world,
                                                > In the case of the Gates belt in question, you could shove several
                                                > hundred into the smallest flat rate box without trying hard. To ship
                                                > one, I'd just put it between a couple of index cards, drop it in a
                                                > regular letter envelope, and stick a stamp on it. I'd be surprised if
                                                > it exceeded 1 oz and you needed a second stamp.

                                                Try explaining that to Gates :) ...

                                                --
                                                Lester Caine - G8HFL
                                                -----------------------------
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                                  Lester Caine wrote:
                                                  > Paul J. Ste. Marie wrote:
                                                  >> >In the case of the Gates belt in question, you could shove several
                                                  >> >hundred into the smallest flat rate box without trying hard. To ship
                                                  >> >one, I'd just put it between a couple of index cards, drop it in a
                                                  >> >regular letter envelope, and stick a stamp on it. I'd be surprised if
                                                  >> >it exceeded 1 oz and you needed a second stamp.
                                                  > Try explaining that to Gates:) ...

                                                  Royalsupply.com have just quoted me $181.50 to ship 10 belts to the UK ...

                                                  --
                                                  Lester Caine - G8HFL
                                                  -----------------------------
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                                    Lester,

                                                       would you say they are making a killing out of that order

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Feb 21, 2013
                                                      Let’s see:

                                                      Belts 10 x $8.90 = $89

                                                      Priority Shipping $25

                                                      First Class Shipping $18

                                                      You could ship 40/50 of them in the Priority Box for the same price. A $182 quote is very high…

                                                      Jeff Birt

                                                      Soigeneris.com