Still binding up

  • DennisF MacIntyre
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2013
      Dear Max

            Have you tried switching x,y & z drive motors? Sometimes one has to eliminate what isn't the problem to find out what is.

      keep smiling

      dennis mac

    • Low Compression
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11, 2013
        -- In taigtools@yahoogroups.com <mailto:taigtools@yahoogroups.com> ,
        DennisF MacIntyre wrote:

        > Dear Max
        >
        > Have you tried switching x,y & z drive motors? Sometimes one has
        to eliminate what isn't the problem to find out what is.

        That is exactly what was wrong with my mill. The stepper motor on the Y
        axis would 'bind' up (sounded exactly like the slide was binding). This
        with brand new stepper motors. I swapped the X & Y stepper motors and
        the problem went away.

        I assume you have steppers that are matched to the drive electronics. I
        inherited a TAIG mill CNC setup from a fellow who could not get it
        running correctly during the last 4 years of his life. Turned out that
        the stepper motors were not compatible with the drive electronics. He
        originally purchased a Sherline CNC mill from FlashCut but it was too
        small. He then, instead of purchasing the TAIG from FlashCut, purchased
        the TAIG with stepper motors from the TAIG CNC folks.

        The older FlashCut electronics were 'strong' enough to handle the
        increased current demanded by the incompatible steppers. In upgrading
        the system to a USB-connected and much smaller electronics package,
        nothing worked at all and the integrated driver chips literally blew up.
        I and the electronics driver manufacturer (FlashCut) finally figured
        this out (after three blown driver chips). Three new stepper motors
        solved the problem except the binding problem mentioned before.

        One would think these systems, tried and true, would not have mechanical
        resonance and other problems but they do. That is why purchasing a
        turn-key system is usually a good idea. But only if the supplier has
        fully tested the unit with all the bits that it will employ when in use
        in the shop. If the supplier doesn't fully check the system out or you
        assemble your own system, put your flight goggles on because you just
        became the test pilot.

      • DennisF MacIntyre
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 12, 2013
          Dear Group                 2013/02/12             21:06

                I recall recently watching a video of someone, let us say, perhaps a half arms length from taig, setting up the x and y axis; how he would give the assembly a sharp mallet crack after tightening parts up. Going way back to the early 50s my father told me to give a motor a sharp crack with a hammer after assembling it. This was to make sure parts would not be binding, I believe. Does anyone else follow such a procedure after assembling motors?

          keep smiling

          dennis mac

        • Rupert
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 12, 2013
            That works on electric motors due to the type of fit between the
            frame and the end bells. Doesn't do much for other types of fits. It
            does nothing if a precision fit or dowel pins are used. Guess rapping a
            fit is users discretion.

            Rupert

            --

            yvt