toolbit steel

  • Myron Gochnauer
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2001
      Does anyone know what the official Taig toolbits are made of? Are they a
      standard M-2 HSS? I've been looking around for HSS toolbit blanks. Enco
      seems to have good prices (although they apparently won't send to
      Canada) for 1/4" M-2, 5%, 8% and 10% cobalt bits. ...no mention of
      where they are made. I'd trust US, Spanish or perhaps Japanese made
      steel the best. Comments? Suggestions? ...not point in using
      questionable material, especially when I'm learning the skills.

      Myron
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2001
        They buy raw HSS stock from England, mill, heat treat and grind.
        I think that 5-10% Co toolbits are a good deal, even as imports from ENCO.
        For real heavy duty, try some stellite/tantung bits, hard at red heat!
        felice@... is Felice Luftschein and Nicholas Carter. See our web pages
        http://www.cartertools.com/nfhome.html

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 6, 2001
          Nic,

          > For real heavy duty, try some stellite/tantung bits, hard at red heat!

          Where can we find 1/4" toolbits made of Stellite or Tantung? My search
          of the web came up empty.

          Myron
        • Myron Gochnauer
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 6, 2001
            This may be of general interest, so I'll ask Nicholas Carter here rather
            than privately:

            Can the Nicholas Carter index plate work with the Frog? The Frog relies
            (at least for some functions) on a super magnetic attached to, or
            embedded in, the large side of the Taig spindle pulley (facing the
            headstock). When the index plate is attached, is it possible to embed
            the magnet in the index plate?

            Myron
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 6, 2001
              Try MSC, I got mine from them, both rexalloy and tantung

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 6, 2001
                Yes, but you have to come up with a new way of mounting the sensor. I have
                pictures on my page: http://www.cartertools.com/frog2.jpg
                It is a very small, poor picture, but you will get the idea...